Q4 vs Dunlop GPA - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Q4 vs Dunlop GPA

DO any of our racer and Track Day A-group types have any real world experience with the new Q4s?

I'm wavering between Q4s or GPAs, ive been running GPAs....

Help me decide...

Current
2018 Ninja 400R
2014 S1000RR Racing Red
2017 ZX10RR
2003 ZX7R
2016 S1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:24 PM

I don't have direct experiance, as I run Dunlop slicks. Mid-pack A rider.

However. I have ridden Q3s before, and know the differences to the Q4. I know A group riders that run Q3s. The Q4s are supposed to be amazing.

I'm good friends with a Dunlop dealer that also runs a trackday org. They can't tout the Q4s enough for track day riders that don't run slicks. They don't reccomend them for street or occasional track, the Q3s are better there.

I've heard in the past that the GPAs are a comparatively heavy tire. I think the only real advantage of the GPA is the flippable rear.

If you are just doing track days, I'd say give the Q4s a shot.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 04:47 PM

There's actually a thread on this: https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...00-55-a-4.html

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 06:33 PM

The big difference I see is that they recommend warmers for the GP-A and they don't for the Q4. I question whether a rider would ever get the GP-A up to temp on the stree, where I think the Q4 would work great. Never used either one, so that's only an opinion based on reading the specs.
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 08:09 PM

I had brand new Q4's for my RR at COTA and just couldn't get my mind around not having slicks for the heat of the day and my pace, so I switched. The tire guy was swearing by the Q4's and said they would be great, but I just couldn't do it.
I ran them with the fella's on the twisties a couple weeks ago and they felt great! Coming from the RS 10's that I swear by in the twisties, I was pleasantly surprised!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2018, 11:44 PM

Garage
For street riding, would you take the Q4 over the Metzler K3 tires? I have been surprised by how good the K3 are for street riding.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:05 AM Thread Starter

I havent used anything but Dunlop Ntecs on the Track in years. I also havent used anything but Q3s and GPAs on the street in years.
The Q3s are excellent street tires, and the GPAs worked just fine in the Cali heat, but the GPAs are a bit squirrely in the colder temps in the am. I wont ride them on the street below 75*. Once warmed up the GPAs were fine for canyon carving.

I think Im gonnna try some Q4s this Monday

Current
2018 Ninja 400R
2014 S1000RR Racing Red
2017 ZX10RR
2003 ZX7R
2016 S1000R
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmten View Post
For street riding, would you take the Q4 over the Metzler K3 tires? I have been surprised by how good the K3 are for street riding.
I guess that would depend on the conditions you ride in. The q4s have no tread on the side of the tire, I wouldn't want to ride em in the wet.

I don't ride on the street anymore, but when I used to I had Metzlers on my KTM and they were great in the rain. I've also used Q3s as rain tires on the track.

If you are only riding in dry conditions I bet the Q4s would be best.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 04:12 PM

Garage
I am almost through a rear on my first set of Q4s. I only ride to and from the track and on the track. I am liking them more and more. The even wearing on the rear while track riding is particularly nice. Due to the fusion of the dual rubber compounds on the Supercorsa rears, I found that they beveled on the sides very quickly because the hard center just didn't wear down near as much as the sides.

One day when riding on the Q4s it began to rain at the track shortly after we all arrived. I got bored staring at the rain falling on the track after about an hour and decided to try the tire out in the rain. This was not a good idea. It just spins and slides a lot in the rain on a liter bike. I think that it would be a terrible street tire in areas where you will get caught in the rain from time to time (like south Louisiana). I believe that Dunlop would likely tell you the same.

This seems to mostly be a track tire for people like me who don't use tire warmers (I can't fit them and a generator into my backpack.)
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Ill let you know Tuesday my thoughts....going from GPAs with warmers to Q4s without warmers

Current
2018 Ninja 400R
2014 S1000RR Racing Red
2017 ZX10RR
2003 ZX7R
2016 S1000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode