BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Tire wear Bridgestone slicks v02

13K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  bmwbadboy 
#1 ·
Hello

I'm having a sudden strange wear pattern on this tyre. First set did ok on first track day. Second track day showed this in picture. Rear is fine although very hard to find the right pressure. But the front is destroyed at end of first track day. I used 31psi front 26psi rear off warmers.

I replaced both tires got into track and I can see this happening bit much faster from day 1.
Ambient was 27c , track probably 34c.
I'm running mid advanced group. I used higher pressure today 33psi front and 28 psi rear. Running slick mode DTC 1.
Pumps were very noticable today I can feel front is bouncing alot.
I always use SC2s and never had this issue. Not perfect wear but surely not this, it's only on right side of front. Left seems ok.

Appreciate your feedback.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
That front looks like cold tear, typically from running a soft(er) compound on a cold track. What were the air/track temps, what compound are those tires? Was the first set the same compound? Were the temps the same on the first day? The rears just look like maybe the next harder compound would work better, again the tire is getting overheated as you power out of the corners. My opinion only, and I have to admit I've never used Bridgestones, maybe someone else will chime in. Did you ask the Bridgestone distributor what he thought?

#3 ·
I agree with skapan - pressure was too low for the conditions. I've had that happen and if I raised the pressure a few psi the tire cleaned up. Your tire is shot - well the front tire with the cold tearing.

It does not take much to smoke a tire especially once you are running at a good advanced pace if the pressures or the suspension is set wrong.

#4 ·
Both meduim. Same for first set. Track temp first set was slightly higher.
That was my guess too that's why I used higher pressure on second set and I get same symptoms faster.
Rear is not that bad , harder compound might be better. It's the front I'm worried about. Never had a front destroyed that fast even with bad pressure.

#5 ·
I went to a new track(meaning the track itself was brand new) this past summer I destroyed a set of Pirelli superbike slicks in the first 3 sessions.

I raised the pressures under the suggestion of the Pirelli race tire vendor and it helped a lot.

The surface was new and it did a number on the tires.

What I see in your pictures really looks like cold tearing and when I raise the psi I can usually slow it down or in fact get it to stop.

I run Pirelli's so for me to really comment on other tires I am doing that with no actual experience.

I do know that I am constantly checking pressures after every session - and half the time I'm lowering the pressure a little as the day and track heats up as well as I start running faster/harder.

I went through 9 sets of tires at the track in 2017 for my RR. I have found a solution to some degree - this past summer I bought an R3 - I ride it at least 2 session every track day - my tire wear has gone down noticeably on the RR just by running it only 4/5 sessions a day. The R3 will just about pay for itself by the end of 2018 - and the R3 basically doesn't wear tires anything close to the RR.

#12 ·
thanks all for the input, i will try a few changes and update.
i would but we in Dubai sadly, except for Dunlop, there are no motorcycle supply from dealers, no enough bike market i guess. so we rely on online orders or few guys ordering bulks, not much feedback except from riders.

#19 ·
Are you running the soft or medium compound of the Bstone slick V02?
Was it a sunny day, cloudy? Partly cloudy?
Do you have a IR temp gun? They're like $20 if you don't.

If possible, temp the track periodically throughout the day. If you can't get close enough to get a good reading, find some similar track surface like in pit lane and use that.
Take tire temp and pressure readings just before you go on track and as soon as you come off. These numbers can be drastically different depending on a number of factors, including pace.

Write down these numbers and you'll have a much better understanding of your tire temp/pressure.

My guess is you have a combination of wrong temp/pressure, geometry (overloaded plowing front), TC programming, and possibly the wrong compound.

I don't see a temp chart for compound selection on Bstone's website for the slick V02, but there is probably one out there. Compound selection, and also recommendations from tire reps are frequently wrong. Literature provided from manufacturers typically is written and endorsed by engineers, who have spend considerable time testing. However marketing does play into this as well.

#20 ·
My guess is that:
Rear is overinflated because the pattern is narrow. Additionally you maybe could also loosen up rebound click or two.
Front is underinflated because the pattern is wide.

With dunlops I had to go down to 16 psi on the rear in +90c tyre warmers when track was +35...+40c.
20 psi was ok (in +90c warmers) when track temp was +15c.

#21 ·
You have a combination of issues, the BMW front seems to sit low. I run the same tires. I had to raise my front and lower the rear to get the front from tearing.

As for the rear tire and pressures, the pressures you were running off the warmer is for tire warmers running in the 165 degree setting other wise known as medium. If your tire warmers are only single temp then you were too low. I have capit warmers running which run at 185 degrees. I have to run almost off the track pressures off the warmers. I run 32 to 33 front and 29 to 31 rear depending on track surface and outside temperature. I live in Texas and we tend to get a little warm here in the summer.

Remember that tire pressure is a starting point. You need to adjust depending on your riding and bike. An expert on a 1000 would never run the same pressures as a Novice on a 600 even though they are running the same tire brand.

#24 ·
Hello

I'm having a sudden strange wear pattern on this tyre. First set did ok on first track day. Second track day showed this in picture. Rear is fine although very hard to find the right pressure. But the front is destroyed at end of first track day. I used 31psi front 26psi rear off warmers.

I replaced both tires got into track and I can see this happening bit much faster from day 1.
Ambient was 27c , track probably 34c.
I'm running mid advanced group. I used higher pressure today 33psi front and 28 psi rear. Running slick mode DTC 1.
Pumps were very noticable today I can feel front is bouncing alot.
I always use SC2s and never had this issue. Not perfect wear but surely not this, it's only on right side of front. Left seems ok.

Appreciate your feedback.
Your front issue looks like geometry issues, to little weight on the front. I had similar issues and was trying all pressures but it was to little weight on the front. Try raising the forks in the triple clamp in small amounts to increase weight on the front. It worked for me and was just 2.5 mm that did the trick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.