Battery Tender - Install - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 12:46 AM Thread Starter

Battery Tender - Install

Well this one is easy. Since the seat is a PITA to take on and off, I decided I would attach a fused SAE adapter directly to the battery so I could either charge the battery with the Battery Tender I use for my other bikes, or connect it to my heated jacket. Around here we rarely get snow, and quite often have rain, but we have our share of really nice days when the roads dry out and it's just plain cold out. You can call me a *****, but if it keeps me riding, I'm going to do it.

Anyway, here is a look down at the battery with the adapter hooked up. There just ain't a lot of room under the seat. The top of the ABS takes up the front, and the battery the rear.

It's kind of hard to tell here, but there is no battery hold-down bracket. It just sits in that hole, and on the bottom of the seat there is a strip of rubber that becomes the hold down for the battery when the seat is screwed back on. So, you have to be careful about where to place wires.

I elected to run the adapter wiring under the negative battery cable and lay the adapter fuse in the depression at the back of the ABS pump like shown below.

I then ran the wires down the left side until the plastic liner for under the seat terminated. I then wrapped it back under the upper frame member and then zip-tied it in two places on the inside of the lower frame member as shown. It should be easy to slip the zip-tie back when needed and plug in right there.

I'm sure this will work just fine. I also think that placing the Scorpio alarm in the tail will work out good too.

Here is a pretty poor picture, but it's looking from the tail down to the battery under the tail cover. There seems to be plenty of room for wiring to the battery thru there, and the body of the alarm can sit in the sparse room in the tail itself, and the proximity sensor can "look" up from the tail back at the seat area. I think my only issue will be getting some LEDS mounted somewhere to blink when the alarm is pissed.

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:16 AM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Good write up Rainman... I did mine the other night, about the same as you did, just to the opposite side of the bike (opposite of kickstand). Where I store my bike in the garage, makes the kickstand side not too accessible (it's right against the wall).

Good Job!!

On the alarm... I have the factory installed, and it sits right behind the fuses in that empty area in the trunk... pretty much takes up all that space...

Riders Discount**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:11 AM

HI, Im based in India and I need a battery charger for my hp4 and k1300s.

I guess, both batteries are same, isn't it ?

I got this,
Battery Tender Junior

So, does this charger work for our bikes ?

Its simply like connecting the charger and it charges the battery, when we want to start the bike after a long time?

Is it so ?

Or is this something which stays connected to the bike inside ?

Im confused, after seeing your pictures.

Please explain.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 11:43 AM

Garage
The battery connection side stays on bike, you simply plug in charger side with battery side then plug in wall outlet you can leave hooked up when not in use it will only charge if needed, when you want to ride just unplug from wall and disconnect plug from battery side and go ride. On all batteries connect
+ to + and - to - you will not have a problem I have Battery Tender's on multiple vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soamz View Post
HI, Im based in India and I need a battery charger for my hp4 and k1300s.

I guess, both batteries are same, isn't it ?

I got this,
Battery Tender Junior

So, does this charger work for our bikes ?

Its simply like connecting the charger and it charges the battery, when we want to start the bike after a long time?

Is it so ?

Or is this something which stays connected to the bike inside ?

Im confused, after seeing your pictures.

Please explain.

Last edited by pekespeed; 07-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 12:36 PM

Okay so charger connects to battery on points and the AC adapter of charger gets connected to wall power socket and job done!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2014, 01:15 PM

Garage
Thermals get bolted to battery which has about 1 foot cord there is a plug connection that is where you plug and unplugged charger after you have bolted thermals to battery. Picture on left is plugged just plug AC adapter in wall and charge, Remove AC adapter from wall disconnect (picture on right) put rubber cap on and go ride.
Reverse process when you want to charge.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 13.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	74697   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo14.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	74705  

Last edited by pekespeed; 07-29-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode