New race harness cost?..old harness issues... - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-30-2011, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

New race harness cost?..old harness issues...

I have my S1R almost ready to race. It's a crashed 2010, DTC etc...and will never go on the street again (legally).

I took it to my local dealer to flash a new speedo guage to the ECU and then reset the throttle bodies as it wouldn't rev above idle.

They married up the speedo to the ECU after a few tries but still had the issue with it running above idle. They were able to get it to be intermittant and traced a few pins that were loose. The left (as rider sits) connector into the clocks was slightly damaged from its crash but it still locked in properly.

Anyway, I did some nice repairs to several wires that were severed to the right plug. Did it as I would in my job (aircraft mech) and they were soldered and really good.

The dealer said they troubelshot it further and the resistance read by the system won't allow it to run at power as it detects a fault. The conclusion was to replace the harness.

My question now is: shall i just go for the race harness, how much are the from Alpha or someone else? Also, can it be narrowed down and I just get the harness that runs into the clock connection? Or maybe I'll just replace with same type of complete harness.

Interesting that if you crash one of these "ride by wire" bikes and happen to damage your wiring you are basically ****ed right?...

Anyway, just looking for inputs...thanks.

CRA 75E

2010 #7 NOVICE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:20 AM

There are two harnesses on the bike. An engine harness and the main harness. The one you need is the main and is the larger and more expensive one. Not sure about the Alpha harness and/or if it compatible with the stock gauges. The race bikes I have seen are using a stock harness except one that they had a custom set built with a custom ECU. Not sure how well that one is working but it is cost prohibitive as compared to buying a stock unit--like 10K for the whole set-up.

BMW does not solder on its wire harnesses. They are all crimped together. They say that solder can fatigue over time and break. I would say find another crashed bike or find a harness on Ebay. If you have ABS/DTC make sure the one you get is compatible. I think they are different.

Last edited by viperclaw; 05-01-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode