2018 Blown Engine Warranty Inquiry - Page 3 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:35 PM

Luck of the........

So far so good for me. I've got about 25k on my 2015 and no problems yet. I have the 3 year extended warranty I hope the motor doesn't pop after that lol.

O.P. let us know what you think about the process and new motor once it's in and running.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 04:39 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITguy View Post
Interesting "stock" can you have there...

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
Lol. Most probably the BMW approved akra system.

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanis View Post
Lol. Most probably the BMW approved akra system.
indeed

Stephen
2018 BMW s1000RR piece of crap

on the face: Go here

Track Side Batteries
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
my 2018 engine blew on the way home from work today. It has less than 4k miles. Does anyone have experience with manufacturer warranty in the past? Is it a big deal to get it covered under warranty? The electronics are stock and I rarely wheelie'd the bike for long periods of time other than the normal power punch exiting a long sweeping turn.

If you're in CA you have very favorable lemon laws, if the bike is in service for more than 30 days they have to buy it back plus the cost of inconvenience.

Most dealers can't get a rebuild done with the proper expertise in 30 days. The engine replacement would require ordering from Germany, there is a 20% tariff on that versus a complete motor vehicle that has a 2.5% tariff.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf

Last edited by puget1000rr; 09-13-2019 at 04:30 PM.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by puget1000rr View Post
If you're in CA you have very favorable lemon laws, if the bike is in service for more than 30 days they have to buy it back plus the cost of inconvenience.

https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/englemn.pdf
awesome thanks. This is extremely helpful.

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-13-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
awesome thanks. This is extremely helpful.
Hey, I would let them keep the lender bike, drop it off, and tell the service manager you're leaving the country for two months, play it chill, like no sweat, "I like the 2018 more than the 2020, last of the breed". He will put the job on the back burner.

If you go in there and throw a lemon law book in his face, he will call BMW and they will fly a factory guy in and he will have an engine swap done in 8 hours. Lemon Law buy backs really hurt them in consumer reports.

I know California and they can't hold of a decent motorcycle mechanic for a few weeks because they can't pay like a diesel engine shop. BMW Stuttgart can rebuild an engine and slap a warranty on it in less than 16 hours of labor. Just say'n but we have mechanics that live breath and sleep BMW for 20 years.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by puget1000rr View Post
Hey, I would let them keep the lender bike, drop it off, and tell the service manager you're leaving the country for two months, play it chill, like no sweat, "I like the 2018 more than the 2020, last of the breed". He will put the job on the back burner.

If you go in there and throw a lemon law book in his face, he will call BMW and they will fly a factory guy in and he will have an engine swap done in 8 hours. Lemon Law buy backs really hurt them in consumer reports.

I know California and they can't hold of a decent motorcycle mechanic for a few weeks because they can't pay like a diesel engine shop. BMW Stuttgart can rebuild an engine and slap a warranty on it in less than 16 hours of labor. Just say'n but we have mechanics that live breath and sleep BMW for 20 years.
Bad advice about saying "I'm going out of town." If you cause a time delay as a customer then those days don't count towards your lemon-days.

2020 S1000RR M-Package
2014 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1979 Honda CB400 (sold)
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

2 months no bike yet. I went to the Alhambra shop and I got the run around of the engine barely being shipped this past week and I should have it back this week; supposedly. I am starting to wonder if I am actually getting a new engine or if the heads were rebuilt. Cylinder 1 had bent valves. I did not mark the block trusting BMW will keep their warranty service. We will see. I will guess this engine will not last long since it is the same failed designed. It has no revisions.

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
2 months no bike yet. I went to the Alhambra shop and I got the run around of the engine barely being shipped this past week and I should have it back this week; supposedly. I am starting to wonder if I am actually getting a new engine or if the heads were rebuilt. Cylinder 1 had bent valves. I did not mark the block trusting BMW will keep their warranty service. We will see. I will guess this engine will not last long since it is the same failed designed. It has no revisions.
Did they give you a loaner bike or not? I don't think most dealers offer that service.

///Xtremsiege2
2016 B&RR s1000rr Premium
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode