2018 Blown Engine Warranty Inquiry - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 07:39 PM

Sorry to see, but it should be replaced without worry.

In Nov.2018, I bought a ‘17 RR with 1,111 miles on the odo from a dealer.....it had a brand new engine, as the original blew up. I had to do the 600 mile break-in per the dealer.

2017 S1000RR
2013 K1600 GTL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

I am not going to lie it was kind of cool blowing the engine @ 90+. This is my 3rd blown motor. My other two where Italian engines at lower speeds. This time I looked like the Nasa shuttle taking off.

Stephen
2018 BMW s1000RR piece of crap

on the face: Go here

Track Side Batteries
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:32 AM

Garage
Whats going to suck is if the dealer turns on the RPM limiter again for the 600 mile break in period. You likely want to take it easy for the first bit anyway to break it in and make sure you don't have any other issues.

Get busy living or get busy dying, remember life has an expiration date.
Winter house is an igloo, summer house is a tree fort.

2005 GSX-R 600 (write off) retired cop turned in front of me
2006 GSX-R 600 (stolen)
2004 GSX-R 750 (sold)
2018 BMW S1000RR - current

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

I was given a s1000r as a loaner today. fun bike

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheITguy View Post
I was given a s1000r as a loaner today. fun bike
It's a nice bike. I was pleasantly surprised as well.

I recently blew my engine on my 2018 as well but I had 12K miles on it. Took a while but once I got it back knocked out the 600mi break in the very next weekend.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Wow. It's agile in traffic. It deminds me of my old ducati monster. This bike can easily dip into the turns, although the power is a bit less, and @ 90+ the wind hits a little harder.

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Jesus11 View Post
It's a nice bike. I was pleasantly surprised as well.

I recently blew my engine on my 2018 as well but I had 12K miles on it. Took a while but once I got it back knocked out the 600mi break in the very next weekend.
Was your engine covered by warranty?

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

It is almost going to be a month without the double R. I feel 50/50 about it. I don't miss it to be honest. I just miss the power. The engine is being replaced. It just has to go through a lot of red tape to get it replaced. I personally think it is stupid just replace the engine, rather than to spend time re-engineering the failing components. It doesnt look like BMW is working on fixing the bugs. It's just giving you a new fresh installation of windows 10 with all the adware. I don't know the exact details, so I can only comment from my experience.

My SV track takes a harder beating than my RR and that hasn't broken. ........................................... ............. yet

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 12:38 PM

Wow, sorry to hear your misfortune. Only warranty experience I had were all on Ducatiís (go figure). From shift forks to bad hydraulics in the brake and clutch to hot start problems to bad fork seals to simple buttons not working... list goes on with Ducatiís.

As for re-engineering the parts, they only do that if itís more cost effective to spend money towards R&D than to replace the engine. This kinda goes hand in hand with recalls. If enough people sue and the cost of damages exceeds fixing the problem, then they issue the recall.

If the problem isnít common, they will try to find anything that says it was your fault so they donít have to pay. Otherwise, only when it is deemed a manufacturers defect, you will be covered. Hopefully in your case itíll be covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014 HP4 #5060
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkside View Post
Wow, sorry to hear your misfortune. Only warranty experience I had were all on Ducatiís (go figure). From shift forks to bad hydraulics in the brake and clutch to hot start problems to bad fork seals to simple buttons not working... list goes on with Ducatiís.

As for re-engineering the parts, they only do that if itís more cost effective to spend money towards R&D than to replace the engine. This kinda goes hand in hand with recalls. If enough people sue and the cost of damages exceeds fixing the problem, then they issue the recall.

If the problem isnít common, they will try to find anything that says it was your fault so they donít have to pay. Otherwise, only when it is deemed a manufacturers defect, you will be covered. Hopefully in your case itíll be covered. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ahhh yes ducati. I've broken two of those engines. Unfortunately I didn't have warranty on those, so I parted them out on ebay.

Stephen

Track Side Batteries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in