2D Sensor - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
sro

2D Sensor

All,

I was able to get some information regarding 2D suspension sensors, and what the benefits are. This is exactly what I received from 2D. Please note the last sentence. BMW's Race Calibration Kit will offer more possibilities. Race bikes/teams using the Kit with the sensor(s) may have a different experience.

Dear 2D,

I am a BMW HP4 owner who is interested in getting a rear shock sensor. Can you tell me what the added benefit is? Does it provide more data? Is it more accurate? What does the motorcycle do with this data that is different than what it receives from the stock sensor? What options/features do I gain by adding this sensor?

Given the opportunity, can you answer the same questions for the front sensor? I appreciate your assistance.

Response from 2D

as a HP4 owner there is no benefit for you fitting the rear shock sensor as the bike is already equipped with the OEM part. In fact changing to any other than standard part is not recommended as this will not work for the DDC unit. This 2D option is for S1000RR owners only to get the possibility to record suspension data as well.

However, front sensor is different. When fitted DDC will give you the possibility to adjust compression and rebound separately. In combination with BMW Race calibration kit you will get even more possibilities to adjust your suspension.

I share this to help forum members make an informed decision, since sharing valuable information and connecting with other members are vital part of this community.

I welcome any and all feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 11:16 AM

Thank you , that is good info
post #3 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 04:22 PM

I just had a similar response from motorrad here in Australia. "The rear OEM sensor provides a specific profile that can't be altered. Changing the sensor is not recommended."

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

post #4 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 06:33 PM
Banned

2D Response

2D also said, "Race bikes/teams using the Kit with the sensor(s) may have a different experience. "
post #5 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Villar View Post
2D also said, "Race bikes/teams using the Kit with the sensor(s) may have a different experience. "

With all due respect, I have to correct you. Those are my words, not 2D's. I caveated my post for a specific reason. Additionally, I started a new thread to separate my finding from others posts that may exist about this sensor. You can see my exact questions and the response from 2D in the original post.

I started digging around because there was lack of clarity as to what the benefits are in installing the rear sensor. I was very much interested in getting both sensors, but wanted to figure out what I would gain. It seemed as tho others had similar questions. As such, I wanted to share my finding with other HP4 owners.
post #6 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info. Its a shame that bmw builds an amazing machine and leaves out the front sensor. Pretty lame. Oh well.
post #7 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIDESC View Post
Thanks for the info.

My pleasure. It is my way of giving back to the community as it has be helpful to me. I may not be an owner if it wasn't for this group.

In reading previous posts, we suspect BMW didn't include the front sensor due to clearance issue. The sensor comes with bumpers that prevents the front from turning all the way. Some owners have left off the bumpers when installing the sensor.

I'm still interested in getting the front sensor. I'll call my local dealer to see what it can do for me.
post #8 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:47 PM

The sensor is a great addition IMO. I cut the left stop in half and didn't use the right one. Only reduced the turning by a bit

post #9 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-26-2014, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzHP4 View Post
The sensor is a great addition IMO. I cut the left stop in half and didn't use the right one. Only reduced the turning by a bit

Thanks. I'll have to do the same. I wonder if there is a way to install
It on the other side, or if there are any advantages. Being able to lock the steering is a must.
post #10 of 95 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
sro

Great news. I found a source for the front sensor at a great price, with free shipping. This is a reputable vendor that is not placing a minimum purchase limit. All you have to do is call or email my point of contact to give him your payment and shipping info, and letting him know you are part of this community. If you are interested, please PM me. Iíll also PM those folks that have expressed interest in this item.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode