2016 S1000rr with DDC Suspension, Geometry and Ergonomics help - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

2016 S1000rr with DDC Suspension, Geometry and Ergonomics help

Hi,

I'm an owner of a 2016 S1000rr with DDC (purchased 2 years ago used) and need help with Suspension, Geometry and Ergonomics for track use.
I weigh 71kg, ~82km with gear
The tack is small (around 2km length) with lots of turns (in fact 600ccs tend to do better than 1000cc in this track).

I've sent fork preload at 5 rings out which gives me negative spring displacement of 10mm (manual suggests 10-15)
Front Damping set to -3
Shock preload set so that negative spring displacement is 10mm (Manual suggest 8-12mm)
Rear rebound damping: -3
Rear Compression damping: -3
The manual here just says less preload -> less damping, and more preload -> more damping but it does not give a frame of reference so I am not sure what less or more means.

Q:
1) Do you believe the above sound correct? Please advise if anyone else has similar weight and recommended setup
2) Please advise what is the default height (measured in visible gold rings) of the forks in the Yoke. I see exactly 1 gold line on my front forks.
3) How can I check if the handlebars were either raised/lowered or angled? I feel like they are too wide instead of angled back like most sport bikes. (visibly I can't see a difference though).
4) Please advise how I can check if the rear wheel was raised or lowered? I'm trying to see if the geometry was altered somehow from stock.
5) Please advise anything else I should check to reset the geometry back to stock settings (so I can work from there).

Thanks
CM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:09 AM

1) Yes, sounds OK but needs to be tuned to your preferences. How is tire wear? How does the bike feel?
2) Default is usually 1 ring showing.
3) Handlebar clipon has a peg that fits into the underside of the top yoke. No adjustment is possible. Perhaps you have aftermarket clipons if they can be adjusted.
4) As delivered the eccentric on the top of the rear shock is in the upper (shorter length) position. You may flip it to raise the rear if you wish.
5) Ride it and see - also try 0 settings on the DDC to understand the difference. It changes depending on the riding mode that you select.

Good luck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
1) Yes, sounds OK but needs to be tuned to your preferences. How is tire wear? How does the bike feel?
3) Handlebar clipon has a peg that fits into the underside of the top yoke. No adjustment is possible. Perhaps you have aftermarket clipons if they can be adjusted.
4) As delivered the eccentric on the top of the rear shock is in the upper (shorter length) position. You may flip it to raise the rear if you wish.
5) Ride it and see - also try 0 settings on the DDC to understand the difference. It changes depending on the riding mode that you select.

Good luck.
Thanks for the quick reply.
1) I was not using tire warmers until now so I don't want to base my settings on that. I will be taking it to the track with these settings and brand new tires on warmers soon to test it.
2) dammit.. I was hoping the default was lower and this was the cause of the feeling of raised handlebars. You are sure this is for the 2016 model right?
3) No they are the stock and yes I couldn't find a way to adjust but I assumed it was due to my lack of knowledge.
4) I need to check when I get home
5) will do.

Thanks again! You answered the most important points I needed to know (2 & 4). I'll get back with photos after the track day.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Good luck.
On point 4, please check the photo attached of my current setup and advise if this is the stock setting for the 2016 model...
It seems to be flipped to get higher rear wheel...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 30-09-2019, 19 43 08.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	203128  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 04:06 PM

Yes, that's the taller setting, but maybe it's ok for smaller tracks? Rear tire size is important too as it also affects swingarm angle. You have lots of settings to try out.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, that's the taller setting, but maybe it's ok for smaller tracks? Rear tire size is important too as it also affects swingarm angle. You have lots of settings to try out.
I saw on another thread that 3rd Gen (ie 2016 model) came from the factory with this part raised.
Why do you believe having it higher is better for a small track?
(Please correct me here) Your assumption is that raised back causes lower front, sharper turns for a small track?
What do you think about corner exit?

Regards
CM
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 07:58 AM

That's the general idea. I've changed mine so many times I can't really remember how it came from the factory. Perhaps one of the street riders on here will look at theirs and let us know. Stability, turn in and finishing a turn are among the important things you want from a setup. Everyone is different so one persons setup may not work well for another. The best idea is to try it and see how it works for you.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Take your bike to someone who knows how to set up suspensions.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:50 PM

Garage
I'm on my 3rd ( and BEST!) S1000RR and the track or street set-ups couldn't be more different. For the track I want laser focus and response. For the street I want as much compliance as a track focused machine can make. If you want track set-up, 1st get rid of the DDC suspension it reacts too slowly for the track.
For the street/road/out of town I set my DDC settings to the softest ( -7 all around ) and then tightened up my compression 1 or 2 settings for the road conditions. I ride according to my tach and how I feel that day; always fast ( I'm a survivor of 50 years of riding) and then the magic times of being one with your machine ( read that as trying to get red-line to read more than 196, or pushing 40+ degrees ).
Try it for yourself, with ddc it's a simple adjustment, just push a button lol!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190418_182602.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	203264  

Last edited by Juce; 10-09-2019 at 08:11 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 06:34 PM

Garage
I have been playing with my DDC settings a bit after setting up my pre-load as per the manual. However on the rear for compression is -7 fastest and +7 slowest as the manual states for rebound but doesn't specify if the settings are the same for compression?

2008 KTM RC8 Orange - For Sale
2016 BMW S1000RR Tri-Colour
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode