Can't seem to raise front forks! - They only go lower! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By speedfinn
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Can't seem to raise front forks! - They only go lower!

I bought a 2013 BMW S1000RR that was lowered and I'm in the process of attempting to raise the front forks. They're pretty low. I've loosened everything up, but I can't seem to lift enough to raise the front end and push the forks back down through the triple.

I need some advice or I'm never going to get to ride this thing....

-Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

I just watched a video and the kid was hitting the top of the fork with a rubber mallet to force it back down through the triple. Someone else was helping to pull upwards on the handlebars and/or triple at the same time. Is this an approved way of doing it or would that damage the tops of the forks and the adjusters?

-Sam
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 07:35 PM

Are you using a triple tree lift?

SoFloSBK.com AKRAPOVIC|BREMBO|ATTACK PERFORMANCE|ALPHA RACING|CHICKEN HAWK|ARMOUR BODIES|CORE MOTO|GB RACING|K-TECH SUSPENSION|OHLINS|WOODCRAFT|IMA SPECIAL PARTS|i2M CHROME|VESRAH|SBS|ZETA RACING|
GO FAST PARTS FOR YOUR SBK!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Unread 04-13-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gooch View Post
Are you using a triple tree lift?
No, I only have the bike on a Pitbull rear stand on spools. I thought you couldn't use a triple tree lift because the brake line splitter is mounted in the center of the bottom of the triple?

-Sam
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 12:25 AM

There is one screw holding the T in place. Undo it and use a triple tree lift. Lightly tap the fork caps with a rubber mallet. They will come down.

SoFloSBK.com AKRAPOVIC|BREMBO|ATTACK PERFORMANCE|ALPHA RACING|CHICKEN HAWK|ARMOUR BODIES|CORE MOTO|GB RACING|K-TECH SUSPENSION|OHLINS|WOODCRAFT|IMA SPECIAL PARTS|i2M CHROME|VESRAH|SBS|ZETA RACING|
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamelCamel View Post
No, I only have the bike on a Pitbull rear stand on spools. I thought you couldn't use a triple tree lift because the brake line splitter is mounted in the center of the bottom of the triple?

-Sam
Are you able to use some ratchet straps and lift from the upper triple tree?
the_gooch likes this.

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 02:35 PM

fork alignment

Put the bike on the rear stand and a floor jack under the header to unload the front end (removed the front wheel) with the T clamp pinch bolts loosened you should be able to tun the upper tubes in the triples. If you cannot then spray a little lube in there and try. If you are still unable you may have a triple that is twisted and binding the forks. You should not ever need to resort to using a hammer to move your forks. Also when you get one tube where you want it bring the other in alignment using the axle as your guide. When it is correct it should thread into the other fork leg smooth and easy with two fingers. The forks may even appear to be uneven sticking out of the top clamp, that's ok as long as the axle is perfectly horizontal and suspension is NOT in a bind.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Never lift a bike by the headers. This is bush league stuff.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Unread Today, 11:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions on this. I was able to finally push the forks back down through the triples. What I did was:

-- Raised the bike with the rear stand
-- Put a jack with a small block of wood under the center jack point
-- Jacked the bike up just enough to take the compression off the front wheel. Don't jack it up too much or the bike may want to become unstable and come out of the rear stand.
-- I put the appropriate socket on top of the front tube. I can't remember the size, but it's pretty large.
-- I used a 4 lbs dead blow mallet that I picked up at Harbor Freight ($11.99) to strike the top of the socket. This prevents any damage to the top of the fork tube.

After following this method, the fork tube moved down where I need it to be. Don't forget to use a torque wrench when tightening the bolts back on the tube. I believe the bolts on the tubes are only supposed to be tightened to 19nm (14 ft\lbs) or you risk crushing the tube.

-Sam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in