Newbie question about DDC - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Newbie question about DDC

Hi, I have a 2015 s1000rr bought it used from a friend. I was wondering if I can retrofit DDC on a non DDC machine? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 06:08 AM

As with most things, with enough money and time I'm certain you could do it. Full suspension, sensors, probably ECU and possibly even a different wiring harness? Might even take a new swing arm as I'm not sure the non DDC model has the provisions in place for the travel sensor? It might but I haven't looked at one to know. I would be willing to bet for less money and significantly less work, you could have a full Ohlins front and rear and be ahead in the long run.
AE-S1KRR likes this.

16' Premium
07' 250 Ninja track weapon
04 919 hooligan tool
CRF dirty bikes
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtz1911 View Post
Hi, I have a 2015 s1000rr bought it used from a friend. I was wondering if I can retrofit DDC on a non DDC machine? Thanks.
I program these ECU's on the 15 / 16's .. cbreater put it out there pretty good.

You would need programming in the ECU for DDC as the non DDC ECU has no coding for the suspension and the ESA module that is needed.

The wiring harness is completely different NON DDC to DDC optioned.

Here are prices I see typically for parts needed I can think of...

Front forks DDC 15/16 $500 - $900
Rear Shock DDC 15/16 $100 - $400
Wiring harness engine and chassis 15 /16 $100 - $500
ESA module $50 - $200
swing arm with sensor connection $50 - $400 , or you could drill some holes and install time serts into the NON DDC swingarm.
rear sensor $25 - $200
Programming ECU for DDC by me $400 > this avoids having to get a ECU, Cluster, and EWS4 module and Key from a matching set that is DDC bike.

I am sure I forgot some little something, but these are the things I see when I was building programming harness inventory.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:14 AM

Garage
Sell it and buy a DDC bike. It will be cheaper
D.Clocktower likes this.

2015 S1000RR
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 11:47 AM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtz1911 View Post
I'll sell you my DDC system. I plan to go with Ohlins. Make me an offer, you get an idea of cost from parts listed above.
You could have complete forks, rear shocks, wiring that goes with them.

My dealership techie said he can disable DDC in my ECU. For your bike, not sure what's needed, but we got BMW_388 for that.

@BMW_388 do I need any wires connected so ECU is happy (once DDC is disabled)? Don't wanna see any errors on dashboard or in gs911.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-07-2017, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. The reason I asked is because I could get a set of DDC suspension front and back for a very good price. That is why I was thinking to covert.

Well, now that thought is gone... lol...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 01:56 AM

I have the DDC but would actually prefer the traditional suspension. I think you can get a more accurate suspension setup, particularly if you’re a trackgoer. The DDC is complex and probably better for a street rider or road racer who will experience varying terrain on their rides. Also, if you crash, thats just more expensive electronic equipment to replace ...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
My dealership techie said he can disable DDC in my ECU.

@BMW_388 do I need any wires connected so ECU is happy (once DDC is disabled)? Don't wanna see any errors on dashboard or in gs911.
@z00 .. I can assure you that your local BMW dealer cannot delete DDC on the S1000RR. That code is VIN specific. ISTA P nor D can remove this coding. The dealership does not have the ability to change the code in the ECU to another VIN so that NON-DDC is programmed in. Then the magic is that I can change the VIN back to the original VIN and all is good.

Even Alpha's DDC delete box did not work on @the_gooch bike. He converted to Ohlins suspension, my RCK3 / HP Power kit enables.. I did not have the ability at that time in 2016 to delete DDC coding. He got the Alpha box and it did not remove the !DDC error code from the cluster. I later reprogrammed this stuff for an update and deleted !DDC and code in the ECU for him.
z00 likes this.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:55 PM

So do you think coding the ECU as a "non-DDC" unit makes a difference for the DTC? I can't help but think that the DDC position inputs (just the rear shock as delivered) are considered when the DTC is working. No?
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 06:53 PM

@BMW_388 the RCK can remove the DDC correct? But can it also re enable it if you want to fit the DDC back on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode