Steering damper question - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Steering damper question

The RR manual states the following steering damper settings (from fully closed):

5 clicks from closed for track
8 clicks from closed for highway

The photo shows clockwise movement to increase damping, counter-clockwise to reduce damping. But they don't say in which direction you'd go to get to "fully closed". I'm assuming full counter-clockwise is fully closed, then you go from there. Then again, when I think of "closing" something (like a faucet), it's full clockwise to do so.

Which way is correct?

Last edited by flyryder; 03-30-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:04 PM

Clockwise is fully closed.

You can confirm fully closed/fully open by choosing each and turning the bars in each position. A big difference......... easy.
dochp and flyryder like this.

Giddy up!
2015 Premium w/ SC Project CR-T
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-30-2017, 11:41 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Clocktower View Post
Clockwise is fully closed.

You can confirm fully closed/fully open by choosing each and turning the bars in each position. A big difference......... easy.
^^^^
What he said

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:38 AM
Site Sponsor

As has been stated. Full clockwise is closed. You are closing the valve for the oil to flow making it harder to pull/push.

The norm for damping settings (suspension or steering damper) is to refer as clicks or turns out. This means from the fully closed setting.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM
z00

My advice is not to go over a couple of clicks. At first I had steering damper fully closed (tightest), but it was shadowing bigger riding mistakes. Now I have it at 2 clicks and I fixed my technique. It works much better when it was fully closed.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
My advice is not to go over a couple of clicks. At first I had steering damper fully closed (tightest), but it was shadowing bigger riding mistakes. Now I have it at 2 clicks and I fixed my technique. It works much better when it was fully closed.
There are 10 clicks between full closed and full open. By happenstance, I set mine at 5 clicks from full open, which turned out to be 5 clicks from full closed. It works great...bike is stable, steering is responsive. Full closed...not sure that would work for me. Seems like it'd be very stiff. There's a reason BMW specifies the settings they do, I'm sure...and rarely have I gone wrong following the OEM recommendations. Just my perspective on it.

What do the rest of you riders use for a setting (specify if you're tracking or canyon riding, please...thanks!)?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:36 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyryder View Post
There are 10 clicks between full closed and full open. By happenstance, I set mine at 5 clicks from full open, which turned out to be 5 clicks from full closed. It works great...bike is stable, steering is responsive. Full closed...not sure that would work for me. Seems like it'd be very stiff. There's a reason BMW specifies the settings they do, I'm sure...and rarely have I gone wrong following the OEM recommendations. Just my perspective on it.

What do the rest of you riders use for a setting (specify if you're tracking or canyon riding, please...thanks!)?
I don't count clicks on either bike race bike or street bike, I set it where the bike is stable and feels good to me. From time to time depending on conditions I will adjust it accordingly nothing is carved in stone
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETMECHANIC View Post
I don't count clicks on either bike race bike or street bike, I set it where the bike is stable and feels good to me. From time to time depending on conditions I will adjust it accordingly nothing is carved in stone
You are correct. Numbers are merely mileposts. How many miles is enough? That is for each of us to decide. The destination is not important...only the journey. But for some of us, we need to know where the journey begins, before we can give ourselves over to it, and let the destination be what it will be.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 12:20 AM

Don't forget the steering damper is not used to mask issues. If you have to keep adding clicks to solve an issue you need to find the actually issue
Strider78rr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode