Starting Issue - HELP !!!! - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 11Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 03:09 AM Thread Starter
A B

Garage
Starting Issue - HELP !!!!

Started fine last week, put new grips on, bike started ok, but won't start this week.

New battery, 13.4 volts

Got some error codes from obdlink LX, the last 8, dunno when in the past these were detected, but I can't clear them.

21F956 Throttle grip sensor
21FA62 ?
21FA60 ?
21FA60
21FA31 interface pipe valve, servo motor
21FA31
21FA60
21FA31

Kombi codes
C90403

Could the throttle grip sensor error cause non starting issue? Even though it started and ran fine a few times after I changed grips?

Bike is 2016, Arrow slip-on, K&N Air Filter

Can't seem to attach the video from my phone, I can hear the fuel pump prime, bike cranks, tried to catch, but doesn't. Can smell fuel from exhaust.

Thus site: BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes
Says "DME detects a non-complete adaptation of the throttle twistgrip sensor"??

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe

1990 Carrera 4 | 2016 S1000RR | 2010 S1000RR (gone)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 03:22 AM

Yeah maybe since you unplugged the throttle housing you have upset it. Reset the throttle and see if it starts.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
A B

Garage
I didn't unplug the throttle housing...

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 03:56 AM

Did you unplug anything?
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
A B

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Did you unplug anything?
Nope. Just cut off the old grips super careful-like, put new ones on, started bike, checked heated grips still worked, rode bike from shed back to garage 50m, parked, left it a week, went to ride, no go...

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 10:37 AM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A B View Post
Started fine last week, put new grips on, bike started ok, but won't start this week.

New battery, 13.4 volts

Got some error codes from obdlink LX, the last 8, dunno when in the past these were detected, but I can't clear them.

21F956 Throttle grip sensor

Kombi codes
C90403

Could the throttle grip sensor error cause non starting issue? Even though it started and ran fine a few times after I changed grips?

Bike is 2016, Arrow slip-on, K&N Air Filter

Can't seem to attach the video from my phone, I can hear the fuel pump prime, bike cranks, tried to catch, but doesn't. Can smell fuel from exhaust.

Thus site: BMW Fault Code Lookup - BMWFaultCodes
Says "DME detects a non-complete adaptation of the throttle twistgrip sensor"??

The twist grip was bad to get out of calibration on the 15/16. The error amount however was just under the threshold level to trigger a hard code like !ENGINE .. one way you can tell if the twist grip is out of calibration is the popping crackle from the exhaust. When you run a Adaptation Twist Grip sequence you will notice the pronounced level of popping and crackle from the exhaust. As the calibration moves from 2-4% error, the popping and crackle will reduce alot.

So when the throttle is out at 5% it can really cause hard start issues. One test you can do is to grab the twist grip, move it slightly more toward closed with a little gentle force, and turn the key on while holding the grip closed. Then hit the starter button while holding that grip closed gently and see that helps it start and idle.

Once at 125F on the coolant temp, the idle sequence will change and should run on its own. Re calibrate twist grip adaptation and it should be ok.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
A B

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
The twist grip was bad to get out of calibration on the 15/16. The error amount however was just under the threshold level to trigger a hard code like !ENGINE .. one way you can tell if the twist grip is out of calibration is the popping crackle from the exhaust. When you run a Adaptation Twist Grip sequence you will notice the pronounced level of popping and crackle from the exhaust. As the calibration moves from 2-4% error, the popping and crackle will reduce alot.

So when the throttle is out at 5% it can really cause hard start issues. One test you can do is to grab the twist grip, move it slightly more toward closed with a little gentle force, and turn the key on while holding the grip closed. Then hit the starter button while holding that grip closed gently and see that helps it start and idle.

Once at 125F on the coolant temp, the idle sequence will change and should run on its own. Re calibrate twist grip adaptation and it should be ok.
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help, holding the throttle closed, still won't start.

So if I can find someone with a GS-911 and reset the calibration, will I be able to start the bike? Or should I just trailer it to the dealer?

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 04:52 PM

Strange list of fault codes for sure.

Mind you, I've seen fault codes that come up in MotoScan and OBDLink LX, that doesn't come up in 'other' software.

I have a GS-911 that I could overnight bag it to you, before you take it to the dealer?

2018 BMW S1000RR - Black Storm Metalic

Just remember...

It doesn't matter if it's torqued to spec or cross threaded. Tight is tight!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
A B

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieAlien View Post
Strange list of fault codes for sure.

Mind you, I've seen fault codes that come up in MotoScan and OBDLink LX, that doesn't come up in 'other' software.

I have a GS-911 that I could overnight bag it to you, before you take it to the dealer?
generous offer thanks mate - it reminded me one of my usual riding mates also has one, I'll hit him up for it.

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Unread 11-27-2019, 06:35 PM
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A B View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but that didn't help, holding the throttle closed, still won't start.

So if I can find someone with a GS-911 and reset the calibration, will I be able to start the bike? Or should I just trailer it to the dealer?

If you can get a GS911 to run the adaptation of the twist grip, it might start. If you dont see !ENGINE on the display, I am concerned it is something beyond the twist grip calibration. Maybe however with the GS911 you get can get a better code reading from it.

if the dealer is close and wont charge a huge diagnostic fee, then maybe that is a better approach. Then ISTA+ can read the codes 100% correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in