Data logger after battery replacement (2015 S1000RR) - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Data logger after battery replacement (2015 S1000RR)

Details below but main question: how do I get the data logger working again?

I have a BMW data logger that no longer flashes blue light (no power? something else?) since I replaced the battery. The bike has had the OEM alarm on it (and larger battery) since new. I added the data logger myself last summer, pretty straightforward, and it just worked from day one. The stock battery recently stopped working, and I went with a lithium battery. Since swapping the battery, I observed the absence of blue light at startup.

Side note - Iíve barely ever used the alarm and donít need/want it around anymore, fine to remove it altogether.

Iíve read that alarm install requires dealer tools to set up the bike computer with the alarm. Wondering if thatís related after changing the battery.

Iíll ask the dealer but they arenít open until 10am Tuesday. ;-)

---------------------------------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

Your hunch sounds correct. Bike may need to be coded at dealer to remarry the alarm to the system since Vbatt was removed. Datalogger might be collateral damage.

SoFloSBK.com AKRAPOVIC|BREMBO|ATTACK PERFORMANCE|ALPHA RACING|CHICKEN HAWK|ARMOUR BODIES|CORE MOTO|GB RACING|K-TECH SUSPENSION|OHLINS|WOODCRAFT|IMA SPECIAL PARTS|i2M CHROME|VESRAH|SBS|ZETA RACING|
GO FAST PARTS FOR YOUR SBK!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keboco View Post
Details below but main question: how do I get the data logger working again?

I have a BMW data logger that no longer flashes blue light (no power? something else?) since I replaced the battery. The bike has had the OEM alarm on it (and larger battery) since new. I added the data logger myself last summer, pretty straightforward, and it just worked from day one. The stock battery recently stopped working, and I went with a lithium battery. Since swapping the battery, I observed the absence of blue light at startup.

Side note - Iíve barely ever used the alarm and donít need/want it around anymore, fine to remove it altogether.

Iíve read that alarm install requires dealer tools to set up the bike computer with the alarm. Wondering if thatís related after changing the battery.

Iíll ask the dealer but they arenít open until 10am Tuesday. ;-)

That datalogger piggy backs into the CAN bus wiring. If you have the alarm installed, just unplug it and replug the datalogger in place of it. Turn key on and see if the blue light comes on. If it does, then the alarm is triggered in the power off mode. However, at least the datalogger is ok if the blue light comes on.

you will have to seek the BMW dealer to remove the alarm system from the DME code. Once the alarm has been removed you can plug the datalogger back in without the alarm unit in there and proceed to enjoy again.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Garage
thanks for the input. looks like a trip to the dealer is what I need. I tried disconnecting / reconnecting things, with and without the alarm unit, but no dice getting a blue light.

on the plus side, the lithium battery is much lighter!

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
called the dealer, after describing the issue over the phone the service guy said he “had no idea and would need to see the bike to troubleshoot it”. they’re booked out almost two weeks for now, so I’ll find later I guess. bleh.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 06:44 PM

Sorry to say that the datalooger is most likely blown. I had one go bad on me. I had the ignition switch from hell issues. Ran 2 batteries down with the malfunction of those, and somehow the Datalogger quit working. Ended up buying a new datalogger and resolved that issue. BMW replaced the switches and batteries, but not the datalogger.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
holy crap I hope you’re wrong! buying a second data logger would suck..! 😬

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode