BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Lithium batteries

32K views 76 replies 28 participants last post by  El Tel 
#1 · (Edited)
Our good friend Mani posted this thread today:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/v...2-speedcell-lightweght-lithium-batteries.html

It's a "for sale" thread so I refrained from posting there. These specs caught my eye.

How much do they weigh?
- 2.5Ah Supersport model weighs only 0.912lbs
- 5.0Ah Superbike model weighs only 1.65lbs

How much?
- Speedcell 2.5Ah Supersport lithium battery is $129.00
- Speedcell 5.0Ah Superbike lithium battery is $199.00

Ah is pretty skimpy and the batteries aren't that light. Stock battery for the HP4 is 7Ah. My '15 S0000RR uses 8Ah and 10Ah if the bike has an alarm. We had this long thread on Earthx:

http://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/s...thx-1-3lb-lithium-battery-install-review.html

And that's why I purchased one over 2 years ago. :smile2: It is 12Ah weighs 1.3lbs. and currently costs $169. A win,win,win.

ETX12A EarthX lithium battery

They make an 18Ah battery for those with alarms and or parasitic draw. :wink2: I've been using this charger with it. https://earthxbatteries.com/shop/optimate-lithium-battery-charger-lifepo4 And I only use it off season when the bike isn't ridden. The battery itself loses 2% a month and AIM Solo cable which is permanently attached seems to have some draw. The charger has a maintenance mode so it can be used as a tender though I don't use it that way.

@z00 mentioned Shorai and WPS as options but is balking at Speedcell not because of the skimpy Ah but because of the charger. Pardon me while I laugh. :laugh::laugh::laugh: Sorry z00. We all have our personal preferences Not going lithium because you don't want to buy a charger is almost as bad as doing 2 full track day seasons on street tires because you didn't want to buy warmers or a generator.

The Speedcells look like they are top quality but I could not/would not buy one because of the skimpy Ah. I'd definitely buy another Earthx. Not a single issue.

If you've gone lithium, please tell everyone what you bought, how long you've had it, what you use as a charger if you use one and if you've had any problems here.

I know @sro purchased something off Amazon. I just don't remember what.

See less See more
Reactions: sro
#4 ·
Thanks for starting a new thread.

Let me correct some things. Not all lithium batteries require a special charger. Batteries with balancers will use a standard tender and be perfectly fine. Smart chargers are not recommended. Lithium batteries, such as Shorai, do not have cell balancer. As such, they require a special charger.

Also, as someone pointed out, hard to bump start a bike with slipper clutch.

I have a Battery Tender lithium battery I purchased off Amazon several years ago. I would buy it again if it ever dies. All of my friends have upgraded to this.

Lithium Iron Phosphate 12V 14AH 240CCA Replaces Yuasa 12N9-3B https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XWYGAUK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_DrLHAb9MP18X5

Be sure to look at cold cranking amps.

#15 ·
Ive also used this same battery for a few years without issue. It was actually cheaper then the OEM making it a no brainer for me. Never used a charger here in California where you can ride at least monthly. IMHO no other lipo is worth more money.

#6 ·
Just saw this about earthx

Over discharge protection
#1 killer of all batteries and other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty

Over charge protection
Other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty

Built in cell balancing technology
Other brands must use a special balancing charger in order to level the charge of each cell. Your vehicle is what charges the battery most of the time, if you do not have built in cell balancing technology, how is your battery balanced while using it?

#20 ·
Just saw this about earthx

Over discharge protection
#1 killer of all batteries and other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty

Over charge protection
Other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty

Built in cell balancing technology
Other brands must use a special balancing charger in order to level the charge of each cell. Your vehicle is what charges the battery most of the time, if you do not have built in cell balancing technology, how is your battery balanced while using it?
What??? Their wording sounds like marketing hyperbole to me. I can see a battery having some internal circuitry to try and "balance" each cell vs the others, but it seems impossible to "balance" anything externally or "need a special balancing charger" unless you have an external electrical connection for each cell. Both your charger and your battery normally have only a single (+) and a (-) terminal, and that's it. Unless there ARE separate (+) and a (-) terminals for each cell in this special battery (and charger), which would be a nightmare because then how would you separate them if they're all tied together anyways to get 12(-ish) Vdc? The charger might have better sensing capability for the change in resistance as you get closer to a full charge, but I'd like to see a real technical explanation of their claims.

#7 ·
Thanks for creating a new thread Bob!

To me it's about principal. I dislike it when companies lock customers in. That's why I stay away from Apple and Microsoft. Speedcell requires using their charger or they void the warranty.

With most products, there is BS marketing, especially when it comes to electronics. I have read mixed reviews on earthX, specifically their customer support and if there is anything wrong with the battery. Last year their battery was $220+, for some reason it's $169 now.

I wonder how earthX compares to Deltran, as this deal is ideal, it includes proper charger:

https://www.amazon.com/BTL14A240C-Lithium-Battery-Tender-022-0199-DL-WH/dp/B0746N3CRV

BTW: earthX has 2 year warranty, Deltran has 3.

Too bad no one knows for sure what OEM use for light batteries (HP4R, Ducati, etc...). Some say Honda uses WPS, but I could not find any sources to support it.

#9 ·
Thanks for posting guys. It would help if you could edit your posts to include the amount of time it's been in your bike. Over time, hopefully if any one brand fails "early," we'll have some documentation of their life expectancy. :wink2:

#12 ·
January 19, 2015. Battery is still going strong. I've drained it a few times by accident. I charged it up and it's perfectly fine. I do keep in on a battery tender during winter months. It's not required but why not since I have one. I can start it on cold winter months without any issues. This is a Deltran battery BTW. It's branded at Battery Tender.

Again, severs friends went to this battery without any issues.

#10 ·
About a year ago I needed a battery on short notice for a track day. I went on Amazon Prime and two days later had a BikeMaster DLFP12-BS Lithium Ion Motorcycle Battery. It came charged, started the bike right up and I have never had to think about it again. $100 shipped on Amazon. BikeMaster claims 2.4 lbs, 180 CCA and 6 Ah. I have, thankfully, avoided overthinking this one. It works.

#11 ·
I had mentioned this elsewhere, but I swapped my low beam bulbs for Sylvania LEDs, and upgraded the high beam to the high output Sylvania H7's.
Right after, I changed the battery to an EarthX ETX18F and immediately the headlights started flickering and shutting down all the lights.
Looked to me like it was trying to prevent damage from too much current by shutting down, switched back to the stock battery and all was well.
I guess maybe it had too many amps. I was really concerned I was going to fry something electrical.

#13 ·
So much good info in here.

I'm currently in the market for a battery. Now I'm torn between The EarthX and Shorai. Locally the Shorai is $30 more.

Any particular reason to go one vs the other? Sorry if this has been covered lol replying on break time.

#14 ·
So much good info in here.

I'm currently in the market for a battery. Now I'm torn between The EarthX and Shorai. Locally the Shorai is $30 more.

Any particular reason to go one vs the other? Sorry if this has been covered lol replying on break time.

Yes, perhaps it isn't clear. EarthX does not require a special charger like Shorai since it has a cell balancer built it. Lithium batteries without cell balancer will need a special charger for optimal use. Tack on addition $ for special charger for Shorai.

#19 · (Edited)
Only the Ah of a battery shouldn't be the number which you want to look at.

There is a 7.5Ah Speedcell as well, but you don't need it. The 5.0Ah is enough for 1000cc bikes which are used on the street.

You need to look past just the numbers but consider the construction of the battery. All Speedcell batteries use LiFePO4 batteries that are all matched. Speedcell also has twice the peak amperage capacity of any other brand of lithium battery.

Better yet, they are made in USA, and their customer support is amazing, so you know if you ever have any questions or issues, you will be taken care of. They have a pretty good warranty (3 year hassle free) and they have really good customer support.

I also posted in the for sale thread, but here is the weight comparison of the Speedcell 5.0Ah Superbike lithium battery versus the stock battery on the 2015 S1000RR.

Also if you want to do some more research, these batteries are very popular among R1 owners, look up the R1-Forum and you'll see how much people rave on about these batteries.

#27 · (Edited)
Only the Ah of a battery shouldn't be the number which you want to look at.

There is a 7.5Ah Speedcell as well, but you don't need it. The 5.0Ah is enough for 1000cc bikes which are used on the street.

You need to look past just the numbers but consider the construction of the battery. All Speedcell batteries use LiFePO4 batteries that are all matched. Speedcell also has twice the peak amperage capacity of any other brand of lithium battery.

Better yet, they are made in USA, and their customer support is amazing, so you know if you ever have any questions or issues, you will be taken care of. They have a pretty good warranty (3 year hassle free) and they have really good customer support.

Also if you want to do some more research, these batteries are very popular among R1 owners, look up the R1-Forum and you'll see how much people rave on about these batteries.
We all know you sell top shelf stuff MotoMillion. This is a "new" to us product. Any specs on cold cranking amps? Others expressed concerns about cold weather performance. Any info there? As you can see many have had good experiences with other brands that have been available for a while. And it's tough to justify an extra $90 to be a guinea pig. For the money of the Speedcell, there would have to be a measurable performance advantage to justify it. My opinion only. We can't empty our wallets fast enough for some stuff. And pinch pennies on the more mundane. Lithium batteries just need to weigh less, last at least 5 years and start the bike every time. :laugh:

Same with anti gravity. I bought a smart charger and my anti gravity lithium reads like an agm type and I suspect that’s why.
Which model did you buy? How long have you had it?

Which model Anti gravity? Ah more or less than OEM

#25 ·
Spent enough time on earthX and battery tender FAQ pages, could not find an answer.

Why does earthX have a reset option (overcharge feature) while charging, and Battery tender does not?

#26 ·
I used a cheap "RC stuff" LiFePO4 from HobbyKing, ZIPPY Flightmax 4200mAh 4S2P 30C/40C, in a track bike. It had a balance connector, but I only measured the cell voltages via the connector, and noticed that it did not need any balancing. Maybe the reason was that it was always "full", so it did not had any major discharge/charge cycles which would lead to cell voltage imbalance.

#32 · (Edited)
I have Shorai batteries in both of my bikes. Both sit for long periods and see temps in the 30's, Both get loaded eclectically with heated gear, high power lights, GPS's music, ect with no troubles. Neither has needed a charger. My Honda ST1300a takes a good battery to crank that big V4 in the best of conditions and it's battery is 4yrs 1mo old, the BMW is 4yrs 3mos old and both are still going as strong as they did new but I bought 2 new Shorai replacements this week just because. I'm sold on the Shorai!

#33 ·
Both sit for long periods and see temps in the 30's, neither has needed a charger. My Honda ST1300a takes a good battery to crank that big V4 in the best of conditions and it's battery is 4yrs 1mo old, the BMW is 4yrs 3mos old and both are still going as strong as they did new but I bought 2 new Shorai replacements this week just because. I'm sold on the Shorai!
Good info! :smile2: My Earthx has probably not needed a charger. I used it after long periods of inactivity for insurance. I don't want to show up to a track day and miss the first session because the bike doesn't crank. On the HP4 and the '15, the lead acid batteries will not start the bike after about 2.5 months of inactivity. I learned the hard way when I tried to ride the '15 to work. It wouldn't turn over. No problem. I'll bump start it. Wrong! I ended up pushing it a block and a half back home, took the car and was 15 minutes late to work. :frown2:

#42 ·
Must have gotten the last one because it says "Currently unavailable".

I have this big warning at the top of the page that says "This does not fit your: 2015 S1000RR". So...people here should probably stay away from it. Glad it could fit your R1.

It's almost 70F in Ohio today and I went to start my bike. Battery tender says "charging" and my bike won't start. It won't charge, so I got 3 years out of it. Will be getting the earthX simply because it works with my existing stuff (tender and battery boxes).

#50 · (Edited)
I took a shot @ SRO's advice and purchased one on the 17th without the charger . Amazon shows that its been shipped with a delivery date between the 23-28th. :wink2: Im sure it will be all good .. :grin2:

#51 ·
Since you live closer to him than I do. If battery does not work well you can always set his HP4 on fire :laugh:
I'm getting mine in the same time frame.

Does the battery need to be charged before it's installed/used on the bike?

#52 ·
LOL
Hmmmmm! I just read one of the reviews on Amazon that stated it came with a 70% charge and that the instructions state it should be fully charged before use. :surprise:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.