Bank / Lean Angle Indicator Disappears After Starting Bike - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 04-26-2016, 10:10 PM

I was at the dealer recently to pick something up and had them take a look at this. They couldn't replicate it, but did open a PUMA case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:41 PM

any updates on this problem mine has started to do the disappearing act randomly
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:50 PM

Called my dealer the other day since they never got back to me. Got them to order a new cluster, but they won't replace it unless they witness the issue. Of course, now that I try to record it with my helmet cam it hasn't been happening. Sounds like BS to me....why would I buy a $20k bike from them and then try to scam them on a new cluster? I'm sure BMW pays them back for the warranty work.

post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:19 AM

BMW have to autorise the replacement i would get onto the warrenty department in your country and try n push the issue forward good luck with that
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 09:53 PM

Got it swapped out today. Even with video evidence it was not easy. Hopefully it won't disappear anymore.
CYCLE_MONKEY likes this.
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 09:08 PM

Well, the new cluster has the same issue. Got a better video of it happening though. I can't verify the part # without removing it, but the scan said the manufacture date is 16/03/02, so it should be the latest revision. I hate to have to take it back to the dealer. They were nice enough to leave grease and crap all over my bike last time...
https://youtu.be/VUm--C8dx7o
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-11-2016, 10:09 PM

Garage
Same here! It started (2015 RR) about 2-3 weeks ago. Every once in a while, the bank indicator and, I think, the two vertical bars (one is for % of TC intervention, the other one is for max deceleration recording), will disappear. Turning the bike off and on again will reset it and make the info appear again. Weird.

I don't much trust the lean angle indicator anyway. But any glitch is annoying. Not so much to take it to the dealer, though (argh). It seems like every time I go there, I end up buying a new R1200GS...

Will subscribe to this thread in case a reason/fix comes up.

2015 BMW S1000RR
2013 BMW R1200GS (RIP - totaled)
2012 BMW F800GS (sold)
2011 BMW S1000RR (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (sold)
2003 BMW R1100S Boxer Cup (never should have sold her)
Before BMW: 1976-1982 Yamahas 80cc/175cc/250cc/400cc
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 12:59 AM

So it looks like to me the root cause of this issue is loose battery connectors. I had my seat off last week and checked mine and while they weren't exactly flopping around or anything, they could have used some tightening up. Ever since I did that, the indicator has not blanked out once.
bennymx likes this.
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtostenr View Post
So it looks like to me the root cause of this issue is loose battery connectors. I had my seat off last week and checked mine and while they weren't exactly flopping around or anything, they could have used some tightening up. Ever since I did that, the indicator has not blanked out once.
I'm hoping thats what was causing it.
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 08-26-2016, 07:07 AM

These bikes are so voltage dependent you would have thought the dealer would have checked battery connections and other connections first thing.

Especially when the problem was intermittent - so many of these problems are battery related.

If that was the problem a costly unnecessary repair/replacement of the instrument cluster for BMW.

Bruce
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode