DIY front brake pads - Page 6 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 06-12-2018, 04:50 PM

i always remove the calipers when i change pads

when still on the rotor but after removing the caliper bolts, i 'tilt' or 'rock' the caliper back and forth a couple times which pushes the pistons back in easy peasy, and it is also the factory service manual method
wfo439 and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:00 PM

Hi all,

I am about to perform front brake replacement on my 14' HP4 Comp. I was wondering if the pads in the Brembo calipers on the HP4 are different than on the standard S1000RR? I'm not lucky enough to get any track time in, hopefully someday. So for now just commuting to/from work and a spirited ride now and again. Sometimes heavy braking may be required due to these idiots in their cages. What pads are recommended (please not OEM, I am not about to spend double for pads haha). can someone provide appropriate part numbers?

Thanks a million! Now to buy a new torque wrench since mine grew legs and ran off.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:03 PM

[QUOTE=Sl8R;41729]Changing the front brake pads on the s1000rr is easy

I am changing to the Carbone Lorraine c55 front brake pads
(need four boxes, two pads in each box)

2 pads x 4 boxes = 8 pads... I was thinking that its 2 pads per caliper and two calipers on a front wheel.. why so many pads???

post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleewent View Post
Hi all,

I am about to perform front brake replacement on my 14' HP4 Comp. I was wondering if the pads in the Brembo calipers on the HP4 are different than on the standard S1000RR? I'm not lucky enough to get any track time in, hopefully someday. So for now just commuting to/from work and a spirited ride now and again. Sometimes heavy braking may be required due to these idiots in their cages. What pads are recommended (please not OEM, I am not about to spend double for pads haha). can someone provide appropriate part numbers?

Thanks a million! Now to buy a new torque wrench since mine grew legs and ran off.
Went from OEM to EBC HH and they've been great cold or hot and thats with me doing track days.
[quote=robleewent;2304016]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl8R View Post
Changing the front brake pads on the s1000rr is easy

I am changing to the Carbone Lorraine c55 front brake pads
(need four boxes, two pads in each box)

2 pads x 4 boxes = 8 pads... I was thinking that its 2 pads per caliper and two calipers on a front wheel.. why so many pads???
It's two pads per side of the caliper or four per rotor. The pads are sold per side, so two boxes of pads are needed not four. You install each pad one at a time. Probably something to do with cooling faster having them individually split rather than than being on a larger surface area and plate.

///Xtremsiege2
2016 B&RR s1000rr Premium
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 06:57 PM

ahh,,, I see now on the s1000rr (non-HP4) model the calipers are different thus requiring different pads. On the HP4 they are one piece pads instead of two.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robleewent View Post
Hi all,

Here are the manual intructions for changing pads on the HP4:

robleewent likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in