How to Plug/Block the PAIR Valve - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
How to Plug/Block the PAIR Valve

For those interested in blocking/plugging the PAIR valve, here are some pics to help know where it's at and one method of plugging it. I went to the hardware store and bought an assortment of Rubber Plugs/Stoppers. It takes a small/medium one for the valve and a pretty small one for the hose that attaches to the valve. You could also go into the airbox and plug one hole there instead of plugging both of the ones I did... I just figured this achieved the same end result and I didn't have to "dig in" any further than the top panels of the tank. You would want to do this if you were running a PCV and going to a dyno shop to get a custom tune OR if you were running an AutoTuner w/the PCV. If you're doing the latter, you'll want to keep these plugged. If you're doing the former (just doing a custom map/dyno), DynoJet says you need to plug them while doing the map so you get accurate AFR readings and then when you're done you can either leave it plugged or pull the plugs back out and reattach the hose/fitting to the PAIR Valve. Some have said that on occasion you may get some popping on deceleration with the PAIR valve operating normally (no plugs).

1) Remove Top Tank Plastic
2) Remove Seat
3) Remove right side Tank Plastic
4) Pinch hose connection and remove hose from PAIR Valve (Photo 1)
5) Plug Valve w/medium size rubber plug (Photo 2)
6) Plug hose w/smaller rubber plug (Photo 3)
7) Tuck hose in front of electical wires as shown in Photo 3
8) Reinstall side tank plastic, top tank plastic, and seat

PHOTO 1: This picture shows me pointing at the PAIR Valve

PHOTO 2: This pictures shows me pointing at the PAIR Valve after the hose has been removed and I put in the rubber plug.

PHOTO 3: This pictures shows me pointing at the 90* fitting on top of the hose that was removed in Step 4 and shows a small rubber plug that has been inserted into the hose fitting
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00101-20100513-2037.jpg
Views:	11521
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	1977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00105-20100513-2048.jpg
Views:	12392
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	1978   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00104-20100513-2048.jpg
Views:	11636
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	1979  

Riders Discount**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!

Last edited by 1000RR; 05-14-2010 at 10:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:17 AM

Pair Valve Block Offs

Does anyone currently make Pair Valve Blockoffs yet?
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:28 AM

Really you guys?

Already raping your new bike lol you guys are crazy There fast enough out of the box!

Mobsters M.c President Dizzle

"These bikes are sexy,Had to name mine BLOW JOB BETTY"

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 12:52 AM

thanks for the step-by-step with photos! This won't take very long to do.

btw, where did you get the rubber block-off cap for the PAIR valve?
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobsters M.C Prez Dizzle View Post
Already raping your new bike lol you guys are crazy There fast enough out of the box!
Bad habits (or good ones depending on how you look at it) die hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetcapitan View Post
thanks for the step-by-step with photos! This won't take very long to do.

btw, where did you get the rubber block-off cap for the PAIR valve?
I just went to the local hardware store in the nuts/bolts section and found some rubber stoppers/plugs. They are usually in those racks of pull out trays you find in most hardware store. I bought the 4 smallest sizes they had. They aren't too expensive so you can save some for later or another project some day. I was going to also put tape around them to ensure they held, but once I got the plugs in there real good, they are fixed in there pretty good.

Riders Discount**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:05 PM

to be totally certain, I might dab a bit of silicone gasket sealant on the PAIR valve cover, since that plug will see positive air pressure. Maybe the other part too - wonder where the other end of the hose plugs into the exhaust? To be fastidious and anal, I'd actually remove the hose and plug the exhaust, just so that exhaust gases can't leak up there. A minor thing, but if you're not that picky, you're not really an obsessive tuner
post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
to be totally certain, I might dab a bit of silicone gasket sealant on the PAIR valve cover, since that plug will see positive air pressure. Maybe the other part too - wonder where the other end of the hose plugs into the exhaust? To be fastidious and anal, I'd actually remove the hose and plug the exhaust, just so that exhaust gases can't leak up there. A minor thing, but if you're not that picky, you're not really an obsessive tuner
Normally through the cam cover, then a reed valve (one way valve) before entering the exhaust port

Previously.........09R1, 08R1, MV1000R, MV1000S, KTM SDR (POS), MV 750S, Ducati S4, S4R, 748R, 98R1, and about 40 others........
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
The Air Tube can be easily removed.There are two screws for it.You have to remove the Evap canistor to get to it.I just replaced my sparkplugs lastnight,and you have to lift the (air)tube to remove the coil packs.I'll post up a pick of the plugs 25 bucks a piece from bmw.I looked into the cylinders with my probe camera to inspect everyting looked great inside to.Be really careful when you lift the coil packs out.And when installing them you have to push hard down to seat them.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-14-2010, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Quote:
Good point... I just didn't want to put anything permanent at this point in case I wanna throw it back on. I guess the good thing is if it blows out, no harm... just loose the plug. I've got an extra. I'll ride it like that for a while and check it down the road. I think it'll be fine, that plug is in there pretty darn good - but time will tell.

post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 02:17 AM

yeah, the pragmatic approach would be to do just what you did - reversibility could be very important. But its also helpful to have that info if and when we do ditch the PAIR system for good.

btw, my bike doesn't have an charcoal evap can - BMW only puts them on US market bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode