BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Pro grip 717 install

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Mina 
#1 ·
Hey guys hopefully this thread can contribute to other grip install posts on the forum. Tool
. I purchased 2 sets, using the lager inner tube on both so the grips would fit over the heating elements. Tire Auto part Leg Hand Automotive wheel system
. I cut and peeled with long nose pliers. Tire Automotive tire Bicycle part Auto part Vehicle
. Used hair spray as a lubricant and to aid with bonding. The left hand side took a lot of convincing to slide on. I didn't pull on the grip, just some vigorous twisting from the middle and end. Auto part Suspension part Suspension Bumper Vehicle
Auto part Vehicle Carbon Suspension Muffler
. The throttle side was a lot easier to install after lightly spraying the throttle rather than inside the grip. Auto part Vehicle Engine Suspension Bumper

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm glad you were able to get it to work out, but I would recommend leaving them alone to anyone with the heated grips. Many, including mine, are glued on so well as be basically part of the tube and heating element. This makes it very difficult to get the stock grip off without damaging the heating element. The problem is there is no good way to tell if they'll come off without trying and by that point you've ruined the stock grips and there is no coming back. I really wish the heating element was designed differently to make it easier to swap grips as I much prefer a softer one like the 717 you installed.

#5 ·
@snodgrass23 I was very careful. Mine definitely needed replacing and was lucky that after 28000km on the clock they peeled enough for me to see where to cut. I have tested the heating and no damage was done. However I strongly advise not to use your heating elements with these grips on. My left grip started to burn through. I guess consequences of opting out of the very expensive BMW OEM option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#6 ·
Thanks for the pics and info. I've done 50,000kms on my oem grips and I would rather some renthal grey diamond grips. But I don't want to bugger up my heating elements when cutting the oem ones off. Then as you said, softer grips and the heating elements brun through. I run my grips on high almost year round besides summer. Prob not a good idea for me.

#7 ·
I have a 2012 with heated grips did basically the same thing and cut them off using a razor. almost 2 years now with no issues . I bought these grips and only had to buy one set as they are made for heated grips. on my second set now and loving them.
Spider PEAK Grips for Multistrada Touring S w/ Heated Grips

#9 ·
Sure NP We are all here to share the wealth :) .
One other thing . When installing the new set of grips spin the grips following the twist of the heater wires. I noticed if you go against the spin of the wires they tend to lift off the groove they are in.

#11 · (Edited)
It's been 2 years since i replaced the original rubber and they heat up just fine . I use them often as i ride all year long weather permitting .I am on the second set of replacement grips with no issue and they still get as hot as when they had the original rubber.

Reactions: Mina
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.