NOT looking good Sprint....... - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
Sorry to hear everyone with these potentially engine-damaging issues....which wouldn't be covered under warranty. I never had an issue with K&N filters in the decades I used them, but decided to stick with OEM as it was Mahle who made this nice, quality OEM filter. Glad I stuck with stock, and glad you exposed this issue here to warn others!

Best of luck to you guys!
yeah I definitely switched back to stock. hopefully what ever dust/dirt got in didn't cause a problem (fingers crossed that OEM oil filter sifts that stuff out). I just hit ~19k miles and finished up my 520 conversion. took it out for a ride in the canyons today and out towards the mines.

Got some random pics just to show the work. If anybody has any opinions about the rivet job say something, I'm all ears. My first chain replacement I ever did for a motorcycle. Ended up going AL rear sprocket +2. really like the pep it put in her step off the line and not to noticeable top end loss.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_234712.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	196448   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180907_222948.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	196450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_120953.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	196452   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_121024.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	196454   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180918_121042_HDR.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	196456  

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 12:29 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by I RR Fast View Post
yeah I definitely switched back to stock. hopefully what ever dust/dirt got in didn't cause a problem (fingers crossed that OEM oil filter sifts that stuff out). I just hit ~19k miles and finished up my 520 conversion. took it out for a ride in the canyons today and out towards the mines.

Got some random pics just to show the work. If anybody has any opinions about the rivet job say something, I'm all ears. My first chain replacement I ever did for a motorcycle. Ended up going AL rear sprocket +2. really like the pep it put in her step off the line and not to noticeable top end loss.
Sadly, if the dust/dirt your engine has ingested has made it past the rings and into your oil you ALREADY have a major engine issue (low compression/lots of blowby). While it's always good to have fresh oil and filter, hopefully the dust went elsewhere. Damage from that is usually increased ring/piston/cylinder wear and loss of compression, and possible extra valve guide and seat wear. I'd pull the airbox and clean it and the rubber boots to the head and as much of the intake as you can while being careful to to break loose any grunge that has adhered to any of that so it doesn't get eaten.

Looks like the swages are a little off center. the key things are to not crush the o-ring or x-ring, to get even compression, and to not split the rivets by swaging them too much. I always use a thickness gage, measure the gap in links nearby, and sllllooooowwwwly swage the pics until the gap is the same. Takes a bit, but I typically get 20-25k out of my sets, so. Also, and I can;t stress this enough, but make sure you have a quality swage tool. We tried a Motion Pro, and it was [email protected] I bought the genuine DID swaging tool almost 20 years ago, and it was about $150 back then, but I see you can get them now for about $100. This thing is beefy and sturdy A/F, and looks meant to do this all day, every day....forever. Make sure you get a genuine DID one, not some cheap knockoff made of chinesium. Best to buy it straight from DID. Here's what it looks like: https://www.amazon.com/D-I-D-KM500R-.../dp/B0040PM2EI

Good luck!
A B and I RR Fast like this.

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2018, 09:03 AM

Is this still an issue with Sprint filters? Im due for a change and saw a lot of people recommend them, so I have one on order, but now that I see this thread Iím thinking maybe Iíll send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 02:54 AM

I changed back to oem & I was using the sprint road filter, I would install another brand like BMC which I have used in the past with zero problems, for road use I feel the oil coated aftermarket filter option is the better option. I bought the Sprint on forum recommendations from tuners etc my personal exp is for my usage oem is best.
I RR Fast likes this.

To old to run, but not to old to ride!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zRoYz View Post
After mate pointed out how much dust/pollen/dirt/whatever was in his air box so I inspected mine & so did another mate & all our air boxes are filthy (we all bought sprint road filters).
Yep... https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/2296158-post45.html
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:36 AM

So my 2015 is around 52,000 km in different conditions and probably 100 trackdays. I have decided to start racing it in the N-cup series this spring and wanted to check it. It to has had the sprint filter for the last 20,000 kms

It has the same dust as everybody else. I decided to pull apart a bit more to have a look. Six of the intake valves has zero clearance and two a tiny bit(still out of spec). It is chilly here now and Im sure there is clearance at operating temp as no valve apear burnt. The bottom of the intake ports appear to have a thin oil film in it and on the back of the valves (is this to be expected?) all 4 appear the same.

Im not pulling the head yet, but start by shimming the valves and do a compression test. To me it looks like my engine has accelerated wear on valve seats and seals.

Do not blame the filter yet as this can be a coincident. We need more data.
Valvetrain looks immaculate, and as a fun fact i have never seen a valve needing adjustment using an oem filter on the s1000.

The bike was still running strong as ever when pulling it apart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	C804722F-F57D-4090-AD05-1243CF594D5B_1546845962064.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	13.4 KB
ID:	198116   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6D8CE53-7832-4BC0-BE91-F9E33CAB3F2B_1546846016122.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	198118  
A B likes this.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I RR Fast View Post
let us know how it looks.
PS: I got mine out, and the airbox has a very fine misting of dust (wipe my finger and can see it). I am going to do the best I can to vacuum/clean out mine the best I can and go back to BMC race (which kept the box spotless). Just not worth it to me.
I RR Fast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode