• 1 Post By Ravenbravo
  • 3 Post By bennymx
  • 1 Post By I RR Fast
  • 1 Post By I RR Fast

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Seattle area Chipsealed roads

I noticed that newly chipsealed roads (from last summer) are already shedding the pebbles it's supposed to hold. Perhaps due to the cold temps over the past few months? The lack of color difference between the substrate and the grape-nuts like aggregate makes it hard to identify the loose stuff, and I find myself having to countersteer (sliding) more through some corners and realizing that DTC is a nice feature.

route246wraith
2013 S1000RR (+DTC)
1991 GSX-R750M (long gone but never forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 PM

Ah...chip-sealing, the scourge of the northwest. It does take a while for the looser aggregate to be shed from the pavement, but once it does you should be OK. Usually the paving company will come by about a week after the job and do a sweeper run to clean it up. Never saw this sort of road maintenance in CA when I lived there, but the roads there are bad no matter what...
route246wraith likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 12:17 AM

Kitsap county has not been able to do it right for years. They keep trying to reinvent the wheel and it never works. All of it starts falling apart in weeks. LOTS of windshields replaced at contractor expense. Some roads done twice and still a disaster. Continuous articles in local newspaper with complaints. Do I sound like my taxes are being spent wisely?

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:06 AM

Yeah I really hate when they put this crap on roads. Its very dangerous for motorcycles and they never come back to sweep! Ive had some of my nice roads ruined because they went and put this crap down.
Not good for the car or bikes paint either.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 08:10 AM

Here in Australia we have that chip seal crap. Half the time they do it to roads that don't even need it. Then its ruined for like 12 months till it all finally clears up. I'm never confident pushing if there is the slightest notion of rocks. Sometimes we are lucky and they hot mix it. Then its like a racetrack. Smooth as silk. I have ridden some fresh hot mix roads. It's so good.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:00 PM

I wonder if that's the same stuff they used in virginia out in the sticks. we called is crush and run.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So the stuff in my neck of the woods is like pebbles sprinkled and covered with a curtain of tar. So the aggregate is black and sticky when fresh. Fast forward one winter with below normal temperatures and multiple passes by snowploughs. Fast forward again to early spring and you get loose black pebbles on black roads. Really tricky at times, but it sure teaches one to "expect it" and be looser on the grips. Every now and then, I'll skate my boot across the road to test the surface well before tipping in. I also found a handful of the stuff rattling around inside the intake duct of my car, too.

route246wraith
2013 S1000RR (+DTC)
1991 GSX-R750M (long gone but never forgotten)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by route246wraith View Post
So the stuff in my neck of the woods is like pebbles sprinkled and covered with a curtain of tar. So the aggregate is black and sticky when fresh. Fast forward one winter with below normal temperatures and multiple passes by snowploughs. Fast forward again to early spring and you get loose black pebbles on black roads. Really tricky at times, but it sure teaches one to "expect it" and be looser on the grips. Every now and then, I'll skate my boot across the road to test the surface well before tipping in. I also found a handful of the stuff rattling around inside the intake duct of my car, too.
geez I hate that sh1t. cheapest fvcking way to pave a road.

Wife- every Asian man who owns a store is not named Mr. Lee

Me- lol.....damn your right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode