BMW S1000RR Forum banner

AFM Results 2019

4K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  CYCLE_MONKEY 
#1 ·
Our bud @smash adams got his first podium at Buttonwillow today. He finished 2nd in Clubman Heavy with a best lap of: 2:01.97. Way to go smash! :smile2: Woot! Woot!

#3 ·
Thanks guys, down to 1:59 and got two fourth place finishes after the 2nd place. Passed 16 people in the first race, none in the second, 7 in the third. Foot cramps from too high pegs and shifter, adjusted, but the lactic acid is still there. One more race to go, I’m as ready as I’ll be!!>:)

#4 ·
Faster than last year. What did you change in technique? Corner entry or exit improvements?

#5 ·
Faster than last year but more importantly, with less risk. @speedfinn hopefully will look at my data and video and provide feedback :)

The biggest change is bike setup, correct shock, geometry, and spring rate is much closer to where it needs to be.

I am trailing off the brakes quicker I think, but I am also opening the throttle more. I can open the throttle much earlier now since the shock isn’t collapsing, and it holds its line.

I need to continue on the same way and improve my foot controls so I can upshift and down shift without lifting my foot off the peg, which takes too much energy.

#14 ·
Positive: Calm, not slow. Risk factor was low only because of that.
Neutral: Too dull, rhythm and amplitude missing.
Negative: Track usage, you were riding on the middle lane all the time.

Results:

Your track usage: Worst possible combination: You are not using track width at turn in, and you do not hit inner curb stone, but you find yourself sometimes (last year all the time) on top of outer curb stones at exit.
Check your videos: If you compare your turn in to slower drivers, you are turning in later. If you compare your turn in to faster drivers, you are turning in earlier (not much). Should be easy equation.
So, yes, your driving line has changed, but not enough.

Data: The easiest place on that track is the last corner? And what do you do? On your fast lap you get on the throttle, and 2.2 seconds later you start picking up the bike. Wake up...?
You were taking it very easy and coasting (using only max 80% throttle on that lap), and still your throttle -apex, acceleration/ speed -apex, driving line -apex and lean angle -apex were scattered all over the place.

Have you ever walked around that track?
What kind of DTC settings you have/ were using?

#16 ·
Did the rider at the 11:02 mark win the race? He went by 2 riders smoothly and seem to have a 3-5 sec pace difference.

#36 ·
Congrats Smash, and thanks to speedfinn for his help! Best of luck to both of you!

Reactions: smash adams
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.