Mechanic recommendations - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:23 AM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by smash adams View Post
Patrick is usually at the Fun Track Dayz with his knowledge and tools available for free!

I'm just getting to the fork fluid replacement, and I'm leaving forks on the bike. Got a syringe and some tubing, going to suck it out and put new fluid in. That better be good enough! I will do it every engine oil change since it's so easy, after a few times all fluid will be fresh
You're supposed to do it every 18k. Since you do mostly track days, I would do it only every season (recommended interval for Ohlins/aftermarket). I don't get people who do more work than needed, it won't make you any faster lol. How often do you change engine oil and filter? Every 4 track days?

I don't trust syringes when it comes to anything-oil. I have seen some bad results on cars. You might get away with it on forks, but I would do what the service manual says. Watch out for fork seals, mine were leaking at 4k miles, dealership replaced them under warranty.
smash adams likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You're supposed to do it every 18k. Since you do mostly track days, I would do it only every season (recommended interval for Ohlins/aftermarket). I don't get people who do more work than needed, it won't make you any faster lol. How often do you change engine oil and filter? Every 4 track days?

I don't trust syringes when it comes to anything-oil. I have seen some bad results on cars. You might get away with it on forks, but I would do what the service manual says. Watch out for fork seals, mine were leaking at 4k miles, dealership replaced them under warranty.
Engine oil at most every four track days, usually it was two track days and a couple long fast street rides. Once a month basically. Oil filter is replaced every other time. Bled brakes every month, just a few times each line. Replace coolant, Air filter, plugs, valve clearance annually.
z00 likes this.

Last edited by smash adams; 09-26-2017 at 01:38 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 06:11 AM

I change my oil and filter as per the maintenance schedule. Every 10,000km. Never had a problem. You guys are wasting money on oil and filters. Do you think you would rather spend a little on oil and filters to save spending thousands on a rebuild if something went wrong? Do you think it keeps the engine cleaner and running better? Placebo.
Sal R1 and nimster like this.

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
I have my own mechanic for several years now.

This is him taking a break on working on someone else bike.
Keene is the man, all around good guy. He's been wrenching on my bikes since 03.
Outta Control likes this.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
Keene is the man, all around good guy. He's been wrenching on my bikes since 03.
Yup he has been my monkey wrench about the same time also.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:33 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
I change my oil and filter as per the maintenance schedule. Every 10,000km. Never had a problem. You guys are wasting money on oil and filters. Do you think you would rather spend a little on oil and filters to save spending thousands on a rebuild if something went wrong? Do you think it keeps the engine cleaner and running better? Placebo.
In your case for street riding, I agree 6k mile service is adequate. But for the track where the bike runs in high RPMs most of its time, it makes sense the oil would break down faster. Hence, requiring more frequent changes. How frequent is the question? I'm guessing at 3k miles, but still not sure if that's adequate. I go by 4-6 track days or 1500-2000 miles max.

BTW BMW changed its oil change recommendation to half of original recommended miles on some of its cars. So that tells me that BMW might not be always recommending what's good for longevity. But what keeps their vehicles running until warranty goes out

Do you know what BMW recommends for tracked bikes? Maybe @Dylan Code has some info about how often CSS changes oil on their bikes.
smash adams likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:55 PM

Do you know what BMW recommends for tracked bikes? Maybe @Dylan Code has some info about how often CSS changes oil on their bikes.[/QUOTE]

2,000-3,000 is fine. Really the motors are very good. If something is going to fail, it will usually fail early in its life due to a faulty component from a supplier and the warranty solves it. We have had 30 bikes a year since 2010 and motor failures are uncommon. Can count on one hand with fingers left over.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 PM
sro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Code View Post
Can count on one hand with fingers left over.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMotorcycle1506730307.178849.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	9.4 KB
ID:	183713

http://www.funcage.com/blog/meet-her...gers-5-photos/
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
You're supposed to do it every 18k. Since you do mostly track days, I would do it only every season (recommended interval for Ohlins/aftermarket). I don't get people who do more work than needed, it won't make you any faster lol syringes when it comes to anything-oil. I have seen some bad results on cars.
Fairly certain Ohlins USA, says at least twice a season...if you're racing a single championship.
Obviously if you're riding on track in addition to racing, or more than one class championship, you'd be better off at least changing the fork oil more often.

The springs ride in the oil, the metal to metal contact inside the fork, will affect the damping if you let it, by not keeping the oil inside as clean as possible.

Obviously, people like me, would never be held back by dirty fork oil, but there are many who would be able to feel the difference.
smash adams likes this.

2015 KTM SDC 1290R
2015 S1000RR - DDC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode