Upcoming Track Days - Page 22 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 180Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 234 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuel View Post
Red sticker. Carnegie, Hollister, maybe learn to leave the ground briefly and ride Diablo MX.
The red sticker seriously limits year around riding possibilities. was going to get a KTM 250cc 2 stroke till I found out it would limit me to about 6 months riding.

There is really no place for a post like this. Here is as good as any. I'm sitting in the Crowne Plaza hotel in Foster City waiting for the AFM awards banquet to start and getting my pre-drink on. The hotel is pretty fancy as it should be for more than twice what we pay in Willows. Last time I was at one of these in '86, it was a jeans and tee shirt affair. With all the sponsors and money in club racing now, I fear everyone else will be donning sort coats at the very least. Oh well, I'm just here to eat and collect my award. I wasn't going to spend the price of a new set of tires for new threads that fit at my current weight. The room fee? Better than a dui at the start of the season.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Just wondering if anyone will be attending Pacific Track Time's T-Hill weekend 8/17-8/18?

Nothing has gone according to plan this year. I've only done 2 track days and zero races. I'll be attending both days and riding my HP4 and the 2020. Hopefully things will come back quickly as I really want to do the Sonoma AFM races at the end of the month.

~ Mark Twain
post #213 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:06 PM

Planning to be there. Waiting to see when my 2020 gets here. Might be the last weekend on the current bike and there ain't nothing wrong with that thing.

post #214 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 08:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Just wondering if anyone will be attending Pacific Track Time's T-Hill weekend 8/17-8/18?

Nothing has gone according to plan this year. I've only done 2 track days and zero races. I'll be attending both days and riding my HP4 and the 2020. Hopefully things will come back quickly as I really want to do the Sonoma AFM races at the end of the month.
You got a new Rrrrrr?!!

post #215 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outta Control View Post
You got a new Rrrrrr?!!

I was first deposit at SJ BMW. They got two. I got one and Cory got the other but he has to ***** his bike out. Everyone seems to get to demo it. I'm sure a deal was cut.
Outta Control likes this.

~ Mark Twain
post #216 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Cory got the other but he has to ***** his bike out. Everyone seems to get to demo it. I'm sure a deal was cut.
I saw his bike a THill West weekend I did in July. That little piece on the right side is so cheap feeling and was broken in at least 3 places. Someone else had a 2020 as well.

Also, I do not like West in reverse, but I can't brake and turn for **** so Turn 7 is terrifying. And every other turn is a blind uphill/downhill entrance.

Thinking about doing the 18th though and maybe the 30th at Sonoma.
wfo439 likes this.
post #217 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Also, I do not like West in reverse, but I can't brake and turn for **** so Turn 7 is terrifying. And every other turn is a blind uphill/downhill entrance.
I don't mind it too much, it's super technical, it can actually fun as hell but you definitely have to trust that front end

Quote:
Thinking about doing the 18th though and maybe the 30th at Sonoma.
I wanted to do the 18th but I'm out of town that weekend. I'll be at Sonoma on the 30th for AFM Friday, I'll be with the HustleHard Racing crew.
wfo439 likes this.

AFM #986

Sponsors: HHR Performance, Carbonin, Shoei, Racer Gloves, Yoshimura, Renthal, Motul, Sidi, 02creation
post #218 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velazcod View Post
I don't mind it too much, it's super technical, it can actually fun as hell but you definitely have to trust that front end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUXf1JlDZ0M
I have zero feel for anything still, so I don't know where the limit is and if I'm skirting it or 50% away from it.

I ran off the track on pit out (that was a deceptively quick right-hander), turn 4, and turn 7 in my first session of the morning due to not trusting anything happening after the front got light. Turn 4 I made it all the way out to the tire wall and wondered if it was going to be my first "get off" in the dirt. Never could get a good braking point for 2 since I was riding my 450 and always got parked behind someone on a 600 up the hill. :/ Then my right leg said it had had enough of supporting my weight without quivering somehow being tired from saturday and I packed it up.

I was out braked into turn 7 by everybody and the 2-up bike. I really need to find a deserted stretch of road somewhere and just practice threshold braking. I don't feel safe doing it on track because I'll get ass packed by someone even if I'm off line. Still frustrated by a lot of my riding progression.
post #219 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Elk

I practice threshold breaking every time I go out on any bike. It is a good refresher.

I also practice quick lane changes as an accident avoidance maneuver.
wfo439 likes this.

'15 S1000RR
post #220 of 234 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 11:40 PM Thread Starter

Sooo... I finally got the new bike to T-Hill for my first track days since April. Those were a Ken Hill school so you were pretty much working on 1 skill per session. Before that, my last ral track time was the last AFM race of the year in November. I let the red mist in and the year ended with a crash.

I got a new Solo 2 DL and Smarty Cam on Friday and was up till 11:00 trying to load configurations and data logging points having visions of getting them installed during down time at the track. That didn't happen. Could not make my 02:00 wake up call and slept till 03:00. And even then I was tempted to stay in bed. Instead, I did my best @Bobby Johnny imitation and arrived at the track in time for the rider's meeting with registration and tech afterward. Still had stuff to do to the bike so I missed the first session.

Since I started doing track days in"15, I've always used slicks and warmers. I still had the stock Metzler K3s and didn't trust them but they exceeded my expectations by a wide margin. I had signed up for A group and tried to drop back but B was full and they didn't move me. I'm glad they didn't. 1st session Sat. it took me 5 laps to cut a minimum A group time. 2nd session 1 of the laps was within a second of last years race times. 3rd session was delayed and lunch taken because of a crash in B group that required a helicopter lift. By the time it started, I'd lost focus and was sweating like a pig. That could be considered normal but the sweat went from my forehead into my eyes and I couldn't see and pulled in early. Thought I was going fast but wasn't. Air conditioning a margaritas were calling so that was the end of day one.

Unlike some that feel the need to go out and run all 8 sessions because they paid for it, I don't. Before I even met Dave Moss, I preferred the quality over quantity approach. I know that I'll probably cut my fastest lap of the day in the 3rd or 4th session. Once that is done I'll do one more session. If my times are slower, I pack it in. No point in doing something stupid if not focused. Race days are different in that they demand focus and it isn't an issue.

I had some issues. In the morning Sat. the clutch was dragging so badly that I put the bike up on both stands to make sure it wasn't the brakes. It wasn't. I adjusted the clutch but exiting turn 8 at 100+ as soon as the bike was upright I'd hammer the throttle and if felt like clutch slip going up the hill. I put the clutch back to the original setting and then it felt like electronic intervention. I ended up with TC at -7 and wheelie control on 1. I should have tried 0 but didn't. DDC was at 3,3 and 3. I started off with 2 turns of preload and ended up with 5 on the front. It may need more and now the rear feels like it needs a tweak or 2.

On Sunday @Phanuel arrived and was riding his R6 Cripple. I saw one other rider on the M model in tech. Sadly I never got to talk to him after. I don't remember the first two sessions Sunday but the last 2 I put down consistent laps equal to last years race times on a tricked out HP4. Not bad considering the amount of rust built up since last November. And the fact that I was riding 7-8ths max. I went a little deep into 14 3 times but didn't use the runoff. It was a very careful shake down cruise.

Anyone that rides or has ridden this bike that says: "meh my old bike is good enough" did not ride the bike the way it was intended. It is a night and day difference. My HP4 drives like a tank by comparison. Side to side transitions from max lean to max lean are so easy. The HP4 beats me to death trying to muscle it around the track whether it's Sonoma or T-Hill. This bike isn't fatiguing to ride hard. And this is from someone that just turned 64 and can't remember the last time I was in the gym. All my braking points had to be and still need to be to be adjusted because this 400lb. missile stops so much quicker than it's 450 lb. predecessor.

And the above is why I have no use for reviews like these:

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...w-2020-rr.html

That kind of review can be found anywhere and is for newbies or 1st time liter bike buyers.
Now if @bennymx were to do a video review of the M model based on one of his 2 day trips through the twisties, I'd pay to watch that!

Notice how the Ti blue is trying to match the fairings.

image to url

~ Mark Twain

Last edited by wfo439; 08-19-2019 at 11:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode