Intro from Woodcraft - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Intro from Woodcraft

Good morning! This is Eric from Woodcraft. I was following a couple threads regarding the new 2020 S1000RR and thought it would be good to offer some occasional contributions on the forum. A customer of ours brought in his new 2020 and as we were working with it we found the new OEM clipon design managed to do some pretty significant damage to the forks during a 30 mph low-side. Of all the mods to make on this bike, it seems to me that clipons would be #1 on that list. We'll be adding an option with some very unique twists to the the selection of replacements already available for this motorcycle.

We also talk frequently with our friends at Hindle, and the lead developer up there is also the crew chief for Ben Young (BMW rider and CSBK national champion). They have some interesting tid bits from time to time that they don't mind sharing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these bikes do for 2020. It looks like a great platform and I look forward to exchanging some ideas back and forth.

Thanks!

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies Inc
paxman and CYCLE_MONKEY like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 12:45 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
Welcome to the forum!

I've got your engine sliders on my 2015 'RR, and like them. Thankfully, they're still unblemished! I like the fact that the delrin puck itself is a separate piece.

As a suggestion from someone who's been in the mechanical design field for 30+ years (NASA, Navy, DOE etc.), I didn't like that the bolts securing the bases to the engine were black oxide vs. zinc-plated. I understand not using softer stainless, but the black oxide will rust after a while. On my '01 GSXR 1000 with sliders (not your brand), the black oxide very visibly rusted and stained the inside of the delrin.

As a thought, maybe a softer stainless fastener might be an interesting alternative if it would take the seating torque. In an accident it might bend and absorb energy that might make a stronger bolt break the engine cases.

As an aside, I always thought it's be cool designing parts for motorcycles, I just never got the chance to do it for a living (turned down several approaches from Harley-Davidson because.....who want's to live in Milwaukee???), though I've done some for personal use.

Keep up the good work!

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:02 PM
z00

Hey Eric,

I'm a fan of many Woodcraft products. I have crashed many times on the track, and your frame sliders and engine covers kept my bikes intact.
Agreed, clipons on new RR are a concern and looking forward to seeing what WC will offer.

What are WC plans for 2020 RR with regards to:

- Frame sliders
- track body work (Armorbodies or something else)
- Rearsets
- Engine covers, will they be a cover on top OEM or an OEM replacement?

When to expect to see above products for 2020 RR?
Will the forum members get discounts?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:49 PM

Location: My new house (La Villa Strangiato!) in Rio Rancho NM, USA
@woodcraft: Y'all need to hire z00 as your crash-test dummy! Er, I mean, crash-equipment development rider! LOL
cyclesailor955, BMW_388 and z00 like this.

Making America Great Again, one melted snowflake at a time......

"Madness": 2015 Motorrad S1000RR with the DDC and "Forgies".
'01 Suzuki Gixxer 1k Blu/Wht (Sold - 79k miles).
'91 Kawasaki KX500 (Still got it).
'86 Suzuki Gixxer 1100 Blu/Wht (Sold - 68k miles).
'83 Suzuki GS1100ES Red/Blk (Sold - 60k miles).
'82 Yamaha 650 Maxim (Sold - 50k miles).

"Hangin's too good for 'im.....BURNIN'S too good for 'im.......he should be torn into little-bitsy pieces and BURIED ALIVE!"
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLE_MONKEY View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I've got your engine sliders on my 2015 'RR, and like them. Thankfully, they're still unblemished! I like the fact that the delrin puck itself is a separate piece.

As a suggestion from someone who's been in the mechanical design field for 30+ years (NASA, Navy, DOE etc.), I didn't like that the bolts securing the bases to the engine were black oxide vs. zinc-plated. I understand not using softer stainless, but the black oxide will rust after a while. On my '01 GSXR 1000 with sliders (not your brand), the black oxide very visibly rusted and stained the inside of the delrin.

As a thought, maybe a softer stainless fastener might be an interesting alternative if it would take the seating torque. In an accident it might bend and absorb energy that might make a stronger bolt break the engine cases.

As an aside, I always thought it's be cool designing parts for motorcycles, I just never got the chance to do it for a living (turned down several approaches from Harley-Davidson because.....who want's to live in Milwaukee???), though I've done some for personal use.

Keep up the good work!
There are pros and cons to all options - we opt for the strongest bolts we can. In our experience having things bend almost always results in more damage...but every crash is individual, so there is few blanket rules that apply in all cases. We recommend using a little anti-sieze on them, and since they're fully encapsulated in the bases the amount they must rust over a period of years is pretty low.

Thanks for the feedback - it's always helpful!!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Hey Eric,

I'm a fan of many Woodcraft products. I have crashed many times on the track, and your frame sliders and engine covers kept my bikes intact.
Agreed, clipons on new RR are a concern and looking forward to seeing what WC will offer.

What are WC plans for 2020 RR with regards to:

- Frame sliders
- track body work (Armorbodies or something else)
- Rearsets
- Engine covers, will they be a cover on top OEM or an OEM replacement?

When to expect to see above products for 2020 RR?
Will the forum members get discounts?
Everything on this list is in the works right now. We might be able to offer some previews as we get closer to release. The covers will be a billet cover on top, and they look really nice. Looking at a Jan release for those as production parts.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
Good morning! This is Eric from Woodcraft. I was following a couple threads regarding the new 2020 S1000RR and thought it would be good to offer some occasional contributions on the forum. A customer of ours brought in his new 2020 and as we were working with it we found the new OEM clipon design managed to do some pretty significant damage to the forks during a 30 mph low-side. Of all the mods to make on this bike, it seems to me that clipons would be #1 on that list. We'll be adding an option with some very unique twists to the the selection of replacements already available for this motorcycle.

We also talk frequently with our friends at Hindle, and the lead developer up there is also the crew chief for Ben Young (BMW rider and CSBK national champion). They have some interesting tid bits from time to time that they don't mind sharing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these bikes do for 2020. It looks like a great platform and I look forward to exchanging some ideas back and forth.

Thanks!

Eric Wood
President
Woodcraft Technologies Inc
Really looking forward to see that design for clip-on
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

New 2020 S1000RR Clipon Setup

This will have billet clamps to complete the clipon delete, and the clipons can be set to be either higher or lower than the OEM bars depending on what you choose using the adjustable clipon angle that is part of this setup. (-7 to +7 degrees). They give you a little more leverage than the stock bars as well. We're really excited to release these around the first of the year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipon Riser Setup #1.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	203746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipon Riser Setup #2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	203748  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:17 PM
cjc

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcraft View Post
This will have billet clamps to complete the clipon delete, and the clipons can be set to be either higher or lower than the OEM bars depending on what you choose using the adjustable clipon angle that is part of this setup. (-7 to +7 degrees). They give you a little more leverage than the stock bars as well. We're really excited to release these around the first of the year.
Those look great. You'll sell a pile of them.

Can't wait to see the rearsets. Often it's hard to find information about how foot peg placement within the range of adjustment compares to the OEM position, so any info you can provide on that when you release rearsets would be really helpful. Keep up the good work!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjc View Post
Those look great. You'll sell a pile of them.

Can't wait to see the rearsets. Often it's hard to find information about how foot peg placement within the range of adjustment compares to the OEM position, so any info you can provide on that when you release rearsets would be really helpful. Keep up the good work!
The rearsets are all designed. The height range is from 5mm lower than stock to 25mm higher, and I think the front/back movement range is 0 to 10mm back.

Here's a sneak peek. They have 12 position adjustability, and will be super durable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RHS rearset CAD.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	203750   Click image for larger version

Name:	05-0757L BOM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	203752  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode