Need help! Rear brake locking up with ABS activ. - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By wfo439
  • 2 Post By bennymx
  • 1 Post By diablo_qd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Need help! Rear brake locking up with ABS activ.

So i purchased my 2013 S1KRR on Valentines day 2017. It had 1900 miles on the odometer. It now has 21k. A couple months ago I was riding to work and noticed that when I let off the gas the bike would slow down quickly like the engine braking had been turned way up. When I stopped at the light after exiting the freeway I felt a tremendous amount of heat on my right leg. When I looked down my rear rotor was glowing white. I was able to ride through the intersection and pull over. I sat there for a good 30 minutes until it cooled enough to release the rear brake. I rode the last couple blocks to work and by the time I got there it was already heating up again. I took the rear wheel off and the pads and rotor were toast. So I cleaned and lubed everything and put it back together temporarily and I ziptied the rear brake lever so I could not use it. I made it home from work without incident. I replaced the rear rotor and caliper and bled the rear brake. Rode it for about a month and and everything is fine until... I was on my way from work and I almost lost it on the freeway because of a car cutting me off. I had to hit my brakes hard enough to get the bike wiggling at appx 75 mph. That was enough of a scare to get me to turn on the abs again. Rode with it off since the brake overheat incident. So I made it appx 20 miles down the freeway and the increased engine braking happens again. This time I immediately pulled over and sure enough the rear rotor was starting to get red hot. So i remembered that I had switched on the abs before the ride and figured that it had to be related. I turned off the abs and rode the 20 miles home without incident and the rear brake worked like normal. So I purchased a Gs911 and plugged her in...no fault codes, all abs functions ok. What could it be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:07 PM

Aftermarket rearsets?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
Aftermarket rearsets?
I was thinking ABS pump but I figured no point in guessing with @bennymx around. OP, you should have a definitive answer by tomorrow.
bennymx likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:22 AM

Seen it before. Needs a replacement pump. Won't be much love on a 2013 model but you can try for good will replacement if you have service history.
smash adams and wfo439 like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
Seen it before. Needs a replacement pump. Won't be much love on a 2013 model but you can try for good will replacement if you have service history.
thank you for your reply. I figured that was what it was but kinda threw me off when I ran all of the diagnostics with the gs-911 and everything was fine. Abs delete it is then.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:37 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Aftermarket rearsets?
nope. Oem rearsets.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfo439 View Post
Quote:
Aftermarket rearsets?
I was thinking ABS pump but I figured no point in guessing with @bennymx around. OP, you should have a definitive answer by tomorrow.
thank you for your referral to Benny mx. I appreciate the help.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 02:34 AM

The last time I had something like that happen to me was on my old hardbody truck. The piston on the brake caliber had gotten water in it and started to rust so when you hit the brakes the piston would go out but wouldn’t release off the rotor but my old truck didn’t have abs not sure if that makes a difference or not. Looking at it you couldn’t tell anything wrong with the caliber. I had to pry off the rubber grommet around the piston to even see the rust. It think from what I’ve read and heard the BMW has a rear assisted brake which means when you hit the front brakes the back brakes are applied without you having to push it. Not sure what controls that, that may have something to do with it.
smash adams likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode