New S1000RR owner and BIKE WON'T START :( - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

New S1000RR owner and BIKE WON'T START :(

I have wanted a S1000RR since they came out and finally acquired one last night. After riding about 60 miles the bike performed flawlessly, then this morning went out to move the bike everything was fine. When I try to start it this afternoon to go for another drive the bike does NOTHING. no power, no fuel pumps churning, absolutely nothing. This is my first BMW bike so not too familiar but can turn a wrench. Battery tested and is good. I have read about the failty switches but would this be a symptom? Other than that haven't tried anything else. Help greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Finally have an S1000RR and WOW

Just purchased a MINT 2010 with 6800 miles. The bike has full Ti Akropavic system, PCV, Pazzo levers and rear sets. Only ridden 60 miles but all I can say is wow!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

How do you determine if your ECU has been "unlocked"?

My bike has PC5 but have no other documentation. Any other way besides dealer visit to know what map is installed?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 AM

Since it is a 2010 model I think it is probably the switch. Especially if you have no fuel pump with the switch in the run position.

It has a PCV and full system. I would say it has been unlocked. This is done at first service and if you ride it, it should rev all the way past 9000rpm. If it hits the limiter you will know. It is way too early.

You can check the map of your PCV by hooking up a laptop with the dynojet software installed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the responses. So where should I start with the NO POWER issue? The switch issue can produce this NON RESPONSIVE issue? Bike was PERFECT for the 1st day then this...seems very odd
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:10 AM Thread Starter

To clarify when I turn on key I get NOTHING...no tach sweep or ANY gauge activity. Bike appears dead
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:29 AM

In that case. Check that the battery has at least 12v in it. Remove the seat and make sure the battery terminal cables are tight. This is a common issue. The cables come loose and can cause all sorts of problems. If the dash won't even turn on then you either have a bad battery, loose terminals or the main fuse is blown. The starter switch will cause no starting but also it won't allow the fuel pump to turn on.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:59 AM

Could be the ignition switch. Mine went bad on my 2010 model with about 28,000 miles this past winter/spring. At first it was intermittent where the dash wouldn't light up, the fuel pump wouldn't prime, and the bike appeared dead. At first I could get it to start by turning the key off and on multiple times to finally get it to start, then it became worse. I installed a new ignition switch and it fixed my problems completely. Before buying the new ignition switch, I checked the fuses and battery connections.
bennymx likes this.

John
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:46 AM

@M-Coupe99 Yep. That was my next move.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 02:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks again for the prompt replies...
Been out checking things and battery appears to be fine (took out and trickled charged until full - maybe 7 mins on 2amp trickle)
I did find a loose battery ground...BUT once properly tightened made no difference.
Where is the MAIN RELAY?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode