Looking at the XR, and the super duke. - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM

I love my XR. Slap some sticky tires on it and you'll leave pretty much anything behind you in the twisties whilst being very comfortable
wfo439 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Because he is looking to get an XR. It is a variation of S1000RR much like the S1000R. He is more than welcome here.

OP, ask @PittsDriver what he thinks of his Super Duke.
Thanks, I will ask him. I have ridden tons of bikes over the years and can usually get a basic idea what it would be like to ride something all the time. I gnored those feelings when i bought the street glide. Really the GT might not even be considered except the HD shop also sells the GT Super Duke, so I can probably ge a few more bucks on trade in. The Beemer dealer doesn't even want the bike and offered low retail. $12.5 on a bike that has less than 4000 miles is too much to take. I am busy tryi g to sell her off but the market isn't going my way.

I really want a single R, like I mentioned but I am trading out a touring bike so it makes sense to keep at least 1 of those in the garage. I certainly don't need another ducati....well maybe the V4 streetfighter if ducati gets it right.
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 04:34 AM

Which Ducs? I was on the fence to buy a Duc or BMW. I still crave a Ducati tho...

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 02:24 PM

they only make 2 good ducati's the v4 and the multi everything else is phoned in.
bennymx likes this.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sro View Post
Because he is looking to get an XR. It is a variation of S1000RR much like the S1000R. He is more than welcome here.

OP, ask @PittsDriver what he thinks of his Super Duke.
Here's my search for a more upright sporty bike.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...xperience.html

I also wouldn't rule out the Aprilia Tuono Factory either. That V4 is pure music. My 1290R Super Duke is the most insane beast of a naked bike out there. Uglier than home made sin but I don't have to look at it while I'm riding it Way better bike for frisky rides on the street than the S1000RR that I previously owned. As I mentioned in the thread above, the S1000R and even the XR was too much like my S1000RR. If I hadn't owned the RR, I might have been attracted to the S1000R. 3+ years later, I'm not regretting my decision to bring home the SD.

'12 BMW K1600GT (gone but not forgotten)
'13 BMW S1000RR (for the track, also gone - I killed it)
'14 Kawasaki KLR650 (for the TAT)
'16 R1200GS (for the epic adventure)
'16 KTM Super Duke 1290R (for my inner hooligan)
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:48 PM
cjc

I had the prior iteration of the SD. Wish I still had it. Great street bike and a lot of fun.
post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 09:18 PM

Just joined the forum.
Watching/reading about the fueling issues on the 2020 S1000RR brought me here.

Don’t own a BMW but maybe someday.

Currently ride a 2016 KTM Super Duke GT. Bought it new in October last year. Just rolled 9000 miles (local riding and commuting every once in awhile).

OP, if you have any questions, let me know.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6172crew View Post
Really the GT might not even be considered except the HD shop also sells the GT Super Duke, so I can probably ge a few more bucks on trade in. The Beemer dealer doesn't even want the bike and offered low retail. $12.5 on a bike that has less than 4000 miles is too much to take. I am busy tryi g to sell her off but the market isn't going my way.
If you don’t mind me asking what year it the GT and how much are they asking for it?

If it is a 2019 (re-styled to look more the the SDR and new electronics package/dash) probably won’t be discounted much from MSRP.

But if it is a new, old stock, 2016-18, should have some significant discounts if it is in line with what inventory is still left out there.
For reference, MSRP was $20k, I got mine (new, old stock 2016, in October 2018) for $14,500 ($3,500 factory rebate and $2,000 from the dealer) with no dealer fees, just TTT.
The GT never took off in the US like the R did, seems to be somewhat popular in Europe though from a forum I am on.

I love it, but don’t have the range of experience it appears you do from your current garage. So don’t have the high end comparison experience.

People coming from all in-line 4’s sometimes complain about the V-twin vibrations. But with a Harley and possibly Ducati twin, I’m guessing that you probably like some of that, like I do.

It is high strung though, it does not like to be lugged. You can cruise at 4K-5K rpm, but it gets very unhappy below 4K and really prefers to be closer to 5k than to 4K.
All that insane torque is available at around 5.5k rpms. There’s good torque lower than that but 5,500 and above is where it really tries to rip your arms off.
If I am riding aggressively or ready to make moves in traffic I always keep it in a gear to be at least at 5.5k rpm so that all the juicy torque is on tap and ready to go.

If I am going 55/60 mph or so behind a string of 4 cars. I’ll be in 3rd gear. When I pass them, I’ll go WOT through the gears and be at 120-130 as I am getting ahead of the lead car.

The bike is stable at fairly high speeds. I routinely go 120-130 mph each time I ride (back country roads) and have had it just over 150 multiple times. The bike felt fine/stable at those speeds, road surface was good, and I didn’t feel nervous about stability.
The windscreen is adequate to help block some wind, but not going to block it all. And the large gas tank is designed to give your legs additional wind protection.
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

I was able to ride all the bikes back to back, the GT seems like a perfect bike, I had some vibration issues with the XR, and it is wider than the GT so I was having trouble getting a foot on the ground. The XR was a standard, so it would be a better bike for me in the low configuration. I really thought I woul dbe riding the XR home but my left hand got numb, and the gal on the back complained about seat and peg vibrations which I thought weird. She doesnt really seem to care about much other than a top bag she can lean on.
The GT was a 2019, and like you mentioned, there were no discounts. I am going to wait until October to see what the XR looks like and see if the GT gets the winter discount. I am in no rush, and if the XR is a much better bike next year I might end up with one of those, or if the GT is discounted a bunch it might get a new home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PC1978 View Post
If you donít mind me asking what year it the GT and how much are they asking for it?

If it is a 2019 (re-styled to look more the the SDR and new electronics package/dash) probably wonít be discounted much from MSRP.

But if it is a new, old stock, 2016-18, should have some significant discounts if it is in line with what inventory is still left out there.
For reference, MSRP was $20k, I got mine (new, old stock 2016, in October 2018) for $14,500 ($3,500 factory rebate and $2,000 from the dealer) with no dealer fees, just TTT.
The GT never took off in the US like the R did, seems to be somewhat popular in Europe though from a forum I am on.

I love it, but donít have the range of experience it appears you do from your current garage. So donít have the high end comparison experience.

People coming from all in-line 4ís sometimes complain about the V-twin vibrations. But with a Harley and possibly Ducati twin, Iím guessing that you probably like some of that, like I do.

It is high strung though, it does not like to be lugged. You can cruise at 4K-5K rpm, but it gets very unhappy below 4K and really prefers to be closer to 5k than to 4K.
All that insane torque is available at around 5.5k rpms. Thereís good torque lower than that but 5,500 and above is where it really tries to rip your arms off.
If I am riding aggressively or ready to make moves in traffic I always keep it in a gear to be at least at 5.5k rpm so that all the juicy torque is on tap and ready to go.

If I am going 55/60 mph or so behind a string of 4 cars. Iíll be in 3rd gear. When I pass them, Iíll go WOT through the gears and be at 120-130 as I am getting ahead of the lead car.

The bike is stable at fairly high speeds. I routinely go 120-130 mph each time I ride (back country roads) and have had it just over 150 multiple times. The bike felt fine/stable at those speeds, road surface was good, and I didnít feel nervous about stability.
The windscreen is adequate to help block some wind, but not going to block it all. And the large gas tank is designed to give your legs additional wind protection.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Thanks PittsDriver, it was hard not to like the GT. I was sure the XR would be mine but there were a few things I had issues with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PittsDriver View Post
Here's my search for a more upright sporty bike.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...xperience.html

I also wouldn't rule out the Aprilia Tuono Factory either. That V4 is pure music. My 1290R Super Duke is the most insane beast of a naked bike out there. Uglier than home made sin but I don't have to look at it while I'm riding it Way better bike for frisky rides on the street than the S1000RR that I previously owned. As I mentioned in the thread above, the S1000R and even the XR was too much like my S1000RR. If I hadn't owned the RR, I might have been attracted to the S1000R. 3+ years later, I'm not regretting my decision to bring home the SD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode