Questions about the 2020 M package - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Questions about the 2020 M package

Hi. I currently own a 2008 Kaw ZX-14 and a 2008 Hayabusa both bought new and still cherished to this day.

I'm feeling the itch for a new bike and the 2020 BMW S1000rr with M package is calling out to me. Definitely a GREAT history with this bike. It's iconic and has stood out among sport bikes since it's inception.

Concerns I have are:

#1 I am hesitant to buy the first year of the latest Gen. It will probably get even better like the previous S1000s did. Should I wait, or does it really matter how the Gen3 will get tweaked over the next few years?

#2 The 2020 S1000RR M package has CF wheels and a lightweight battery yet it only weighs 7.7 lbs less than the base model???? WHAT? The battery alone should save that much weight. Does anyone know how much the stock CF wheels actually weigh because I might prefer to put BSTs on a base model than pay $5000 extra and have less than the lightest CF wheels.

#3 Scheduled maintenance. I will spend an arm and a leg on the bike and then I have to bring it to a shop to have expensive maintenance done so I can get the restrictions unlocked. In the past, I have insisted on doing all maintenance myself. Can you do your own own work on an S1000RR and is there any way to derestrict the ECU break in period settings yourself?

#4 Do S1000s require any special tools that are only available to a certified shop?

Thanks for all input. I'll check back soon.

Rook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daron Lee Fayas View Post
Hi. I currently own a 2008 Kaw ZX-14 and a 2008 Hayabusa both bought new and still cherished to this day.

I'm feeling the itch for a new bike and the 2020 BMW S1000rr with M package is calling out to me. Definitely a GREAT history with this bike. It's iconic and has stood out among sport bikes since it's inception.

Concerns I have are:

#1 I am hesitant to buy the first year of the latest Gen. It will probably get even better like the previous S1000s did. Should I wait, or does it really matter how the Gen3 will get tweaked over the next few years?

#2 The 2020 S1000RR M package has CF wheels and a lightweight battery yet it only weighs 7.7 lbs less than the base model???? WHAT? The battery alone should save that much weight. Does anyone know how much the stock CF wheels actually weigh because I might prefer to put BSTs on a base model than pay $5000 extra and have less than the lightest CF wheels.

#3 Scheduled maintenance. I will spend an arm and a leg on the bike and then I have to bring it to a shop to have expensive maintenance done so I can get the restrictions unlocked. In the past, I have insisted on doing all maintenance myself. Can you do your own own work on an S1000RR and is there any way to derestrict the ECU break in period settings yourself?

#4 Do S1000s require any special tools that are only available to a certified shop?

Thanks for all input. I'll check back soon.

Rook

No one really knows the answer to 1. BMW puts out updated items in a next Model Year without telling anyone. The 17/18 was a huge improvement over the 15/16. Every time you wait, there is always another update.

Buy what you can afford, upgrade the way you want it.

3> The 2020 is BMSO ECU and the only company that makes an easy to use GUI software is Hex Innovate with the GS911. At this time it does not support the 2020 however. So without investing over $1000 for the hacked and cracked versions of the dealer software, there is nothing at this time, but it will.

Also to remove the limiter and get the oil and filter changed can vary in price from dealer to dealer. you can request to do the simple stuff and they only do the limit reset and oil change. that price is about $250 to $330.

4> There is always the right tool for the right job concept. There are not real special tools beyond what a master mechanic would have in his tool box. Common mechanic will just have to buy the sockets and torex you dont have.

CLONE ECU's are going to rule the world - ECU A against ECU B
All Keys Lost programming available FREE for some Forum members
Cut keys and programming available FREE for some Forum members
ECU to Cluster Matching with 200MPH available FREE for some Forum members
Add / delete DDC available FREE for some Forum members
All done here in the USA now and you dont have to ship to Poland
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 05:54 PM

If you talk to your salesman , you can get the first service and unlock, thrown in with the purchase of the scooter.. maint isnít horrible, build a good relationship with dealer, and youíll be fine.
GixY2K and Daron Lee Fayas like this.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Thank you BMW_338.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
The 17/18 was a huge improvement over the 15/16. Every time you wait, there is always another update.
That's the love/hate relationship I have with sport bikes. You can buy the best but it won't be best for long. One thing I liked about my busa and 14 was that they didn't get much better even after 10 years.

Quote:
So without investing over $1000 for the hacked and cracked versions of the dealer software, there is nothing at this time, but it will.
Thanks. I will keep my eye out for that if I don't buy this year. Sounds like getting the maintenance would be a lot less than buying the the hack software though.

Quote:
Also to remove the limiter and get the oil and filter changed can vary in price from dealer to dealer. you can request to do the simple stuff and they only do the limit reset and oil change. that price is about $250 to $330.
Not bad for a one time expense.

Is the ECU totally derestricted after the first oil change or do they derestrict in steps thereby forcing you to come back for service?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illusionalta View Post
If you talk to your salesman , you can get the first service and unlock, thrown in with the purchase of the scooter.. maint isnít horrible, build a good relationship with dealer, and youíll be fine.
Thanks, Illusionalta. I can try that. Same question as above, is the ECU completely derestricted after the first scheduled maintenance?
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Illusionalta. I can try that. Same question as above, is the ECU completely derestricted after the first scheduled maintenance?
once the limiter is removed, the ECU is what it is for power. BMWAG releases updates 2 times a month. However, those updates do not always include Motorcycle updates. I keep up with the hack software versions every month. I have 50TB of harddrive data from BMWAG on releases since 2015. it is alot to deal with and know which updates work the best.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
once the limiter is removed, the ECU is what it is for power. BMWAG releases updates 2 times a month. However, those updates do not always include Motorcycle updates. I keep up with the hack software versions every month. I have 50TB of harddrive data from BMWAG on releases since 2015. it is alot to deal with and know which updates work the best.
Hmmmmm--that's cool! Essentially the same process as ECU flashing but BMW releases the adjustments? I have saved the jump to flash software for whatever my next bike will be. To much invested in DJ and Bazzaz systems on my current rides to buy flash software for them. Road tuning is risky but I love it.

Does anyone use a Power Commander or AutoTune on a BMW anymore?
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Hmmmmm--that's cool! Essentially the same process as ECU flashing but BMW releases the adjustments? I have saved the jump to flash software for whatever my next bike will be. To much invested in DJ and Bazzaz systems on my current rides to buy flash software for them. Road tuning is risky but I love it.

Does anyone use a Power Commander or AutoTune on a BMW anymore?
Many people here on this S1000RR forum use the Rapid Bike and PCV with the auto tuners.

People like me use the BMW RCK3 / HP Power Kit options and trust the tuning from BMW. I have the IDM racing Power Kit code, and the STK1000 map coding. PM me if you have a 15-19 K46 and interested in something like this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 PM
Vyk

Garage
Quote:
Rook
It's my understanding that the rotors on the CF wheels are different. I think they are thicker and heavier for better braking performance.
Daron Lee Fayas likes this.

18 BMW S1000XR Motorrad Colors
15 BMW S1000RR Motorrad Colors - Street Bike
15 KTM RC390 - Trackbike
10 Yamaha WR250X - Dirt and Sumo

15 BMW S1000RR Black - Trackbike [Sold]
11 Suzuki GSXR-750 Blue/White [Sold]
05 Suzuki M50 Blue Plastidipped Yellow - [Sold]
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
It's my understanding that the rotors on the CF wheels are different. I think they are thicker and heavier for better braking performance.
5mm discs on forged and carbon wheels. 4.5mm on standard cast wheels. 5mm discs mount closer to the axle and 4.5mm discs mount further out. Rotating mass is closer to the axle and center of the wheel.
Elk and Daron Lee Fayas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode