New to BMW. Not new to motorcycles or forums - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Hiw is the riding position for a taller rider? Being 6í and a buck 95 I know the suspension isnít sprung for my weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:23 AM

Working on the BMW is not difficult. Really no different than any other bike, just need a few different socket heads (star pattern).

You'll be fine at 6' 195 Lbs. I am 6'2, 200-205 in gear and the bike feels great. I have helibars, but even the stock clipons felt good.

I also have owned sports touring bikes in the past and I much prefer the sportbikes. Any even mildly aggressive riding just feels way better on the sport bikes.

Now if you're slow and cruising, touring bikes are better, or if you're +1. I also own an SV650 with some serious upgrades to the suspension and I don't ride it much b/c of the riding position. But its more comfortable for me if I'm +1.

You really need to get out there and test ride both. RSV4 is probably better value, but it comes down to preference.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 07:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rykkerr View Post
Working on the BMW is not difficult. Really no different than any other bike, just need a few different socket heads (star pattern).

You'll be fine at 6' 195 Lbs. I am 6'2, 200-205 in gear and the bike feels great. I have helibars, but even the stock clipons felt good.

I also have owned sports touring bikes in the past and I much prefer the sportbikes. Any even mildly aggressive riding just feels way better on the sport bikes.

Now if you're slow and cruising, touring bikes are better, or if you're +1. I also own an SV650 with some serious upgrades to the suspension and I don't ride it much b/c of the riding position. But its more comfortable for me if I'm +1.

You really need to get out there and test ride both. RSV4 is probably better value, but it comes down to preference.

I agree on the aggressive riding point and the +1 point. But I feel like with the right passenger itís not bad at all.
I know money wise. The RSV4 is the logical move. But I canít decide just off that when the RR looks sooo ******* sexy. And with the right package set up. Outshines the RSV4 making that 3g difference worth it.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 11:50 AM

Garage
I have owned both. Loved riding both. Had nothing but issues with my RSV4. I parted it out after a value broke at 23K miles. I miss the RSV4 but will never buy Italian again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_04571.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	187482   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_39491.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	187490  
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 01:03 PM

Ouch! I almost did buy an RSV4 instead of the S1000RR. Never heard of those issues before and my buddies at the track are lapping extremely fast on the RSV4 but I guess that comes down to talent more than the bike.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-22-2017, 02:05 PM
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_meToo18 View Post
Yeah. Iím not a huge fan of dealers period. Which is why I have only done work on the Tuono myself. But thatís what makes it hard with the RR is that I know BMW is a very technical machine and I wouldnít need to take it to a dealer as Iím not familiar with the bike short of the engine since inline 4s are relative to each other.
If you are able to perform all needed mechanical servicing of the Aprilia yourself, you will be able to do it on a BMW as well. Even if you do the work yourself with Aprilia's, parts availability is also a big issue.
Kevo likes this.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 04:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMillion View Post
If you are able to perform all needed mechanical servicing of the Aprilia yourself, you will be able to do it on a BMW as well. Even if you do the work yourself with Aprilia's, parts availability is also a big issue.
Well thatís good to know. But how is dealer reliability when it comes to doing own maintenance when issues arrive?
Parts were never really a problem buying through AF1. But they do get backed up and can be a slight pain. But I never had to many issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
I have owned both. Loved riding both. Had nothing but issues with my RSV4. I parted it out after a value broke at 23K miles. I miss the RSV4 but will never buy Italian again.

Seeing those pictures is worse then looking at old Murder scenes... my biggest fear on my APE right now honestly is that.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 02:39 PM
Vendor

Garage
Quote:
Well thatís good to know. But how is dealer reliability when it comes to doing own maintenance when issues arrive?
Parts were never really a problem buying through AF1. But they do get backed up and can be a slight pain. But I never had to many issues.
There isn't anything "big" until you hit high mileage. So for regular oil changes, make sure you keep your receipts of parts you got for it, that is pretty much standard with all vehicles.
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:

Seeing those pictures is worse then looking at old Murder scenes... my biggest fear on my APE right now honestly is that.
Are you in Austin?

If so, you're quite fortunate since AF1 is a good dealership that sells and services Aprilia.
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 09:17 PM

Welcome! I went to Germany from Italy, and have been happy with the decision for the most part. Riding position is comfortable, I'm about your size. The only thing you should know is they veer slightly right. Some people can ignore that. I'm not one of those people, and it drives me nuts. Also, today i had a minor right turn crash. It was raining, i was in rain mode, and I'm a pretty well trained rider, can't figure it out... Fact remains i love the bike. Ride safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode