BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Hello all!

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Amok 
#1 ·
Hi guy's (and gals?), new to the forum and soon to be a 2012 S1000RR owner.

Tried posting once before as my first, post but it never showed up?

Anyhow this Saturday I should be sealing the deal and picking up my new toy. I'll put some miles on it and let you all know what I think, coming off a 09' GSXR 1K...

#3 ·
@///MCoupe, Will do. I only have the CycleTrader pic's right now. I have checked the bike over, heard the cold start, etc just did not think to snap photo's while we were there.

The bike does have the TCT 2-second rattle at startup that I suspect can be tamed with the shorter case plug that applies more pre-tension. Otherwise I will go manual tensioner and be done with it (had to go manual on the GSXR to solve the same issue). S1000RR has 22,400 miles on the ODO and had the valves checked at 20K (late 18K service at BMW). That was also when they finally got around to taking off the 9K rev limiter, so the bike has seen a pretty conservative life so far.

I won't have my riding leathers back from the repair shop for a few more weeks, so I will be riding a little conservative in my dual-sport textiles while I get to know the bike. The leathers ended up with a ripped knee from the off that killed the GSXR. No major injuries, just a wrist sprain, some ribs/tweaked back, and some shame over allowing the accident to even occur. No one to blame but myself.

Did end up with a new Arai Quantum X helmet and an upgrade from a GSXR to an S1000RR :)

#5 ·
S1000RR has 22,400 miles on the ODO and had the valves checked at 20K (late 18K service at BMW). That was also when they finally got around to taking off the 9K rev limiter, so the bike has seen a pretty conservative life so far.

I won't have my riding leathers back from the repair shop for a few more weeks, so I will be riding a little conservative in my dual-sport textiles while I get to know the bike. The leathers ended up with a ripped knee from the off that killed the GSXR. No major injuries, just a wrist sprain, some ribs/tweaked back, and some shame over allowing the accident to even occur. No one to blame but myself.

Did end up with a new Arai Quantum X helmet and an upgrade from a GSXR to an S1000RR :)
nice...my 2015 i got at 15,000 miles was ridden by a tame rider who basically never went above 9k either...i swear it picked up a few horsepower after the first couple 'break in' rides i had with it. i changed the oil after and there was a good amount of ferrous metal shavings. either from transmission or piston rings / cyl walls. the 6 oil changes since there hasn't been any like that first one though.

she runs like a top. just waiting for the last three track days of the season before her annual valve check. i imagine i will see some changes to clearances since the first check was done before i had a chance to break her in and this next check will be after a season at the track. i did install manual tensioner and adjusted the exhaust servo cables to solve the ticking 'issue'.

glad you are mostly okay from the get off, and glad it resulted in you getting a sweet bike :grin2:

#6 ·
@k9crew & smash adams, Thanks for the welcome guys :D

I am looking forward to the power increase, though I have to say with the cat the S1000RR does sound much more tame than the GSXR did with the decat and Yosh pipe.
Part of me likes the idea of stealth MPH's, but I can say I never tired of the howl of the GSXR either, just didn't like the idea of a LEO around the next bend hearing me coming... I will ride it stock for a bit to see how I like it (it has the short Akra from BMW on it now).

I am curious about the BMW tuning stuff, I have dealt with Power Commander stuff on the GSXR and my WR250R but I would really like to just flash the ECU and steer clear of the piggy back units on this bike. I want to keep the ABS and other nanny aids fully functional but I think I will likely end up doing a full system and I want to lift the speed restrictions too.

Any one know if there is a BMW HP certified dealer in Colorado? And will they program the ECU without making me buy the Akra from them? (may fab my own SS exhaust or get an el'cheapo and modify it to fit my standards).

#7 ·
disconnect the muffler side exhaust servo cables for louder idle / slower speeds

i have a Rapid Bike Race with My Tuning Bike which is a live autotuning fuel controller you can set what afr you want at what rpm / tps and it is per gear so i have 12 total maps - an ignition and injection map for every gear. i recommend this solution to anyone who asks about tuning the bike. this is the best way for your money AND you can bring it along to your next bike :)

#8 ·
@ smash adams, disconnecting the flapper isn't a big deal and I expect I might note the difference, but I have messed with enough exhaust to know that as long as the cat is in the system nothing you are going to do will really get the tone and volume like removing the cat will... Also I'm not a fan of the sheer weight of the system vs even a cheap full stainless race exhaust.

I looked at the Rapid Bike stuff as well as the Bazzaz and the PCV I am already familiar with, I really just want to un-sanitize the factory ECU this time around. I really believe there is an inherent gain to be had by keeping all of the workings inside the heart of the system, the ECU. The Bren tune and the OEM tune stuff seem to be at the top of my list and just outside the grip of my funds for a bit anyway :grin2:

I'll run it as-is for a bit, then decide what mods to pursue. Could be suspension, steering, ergo's, or maybe even something goofy like lots of track days as-is >:)

#11 ·
@ smash adams, disconnecting the flapper isn't a big deal and I expect I might note the difference, but I have messed with enough exhaust to know that as long as the cat is in the system nothing you are going to do will really get the tone and volume like removing the cat will... Also I'm not a fan of the sheer weight of the system vs even a cheap full stainless race exhaust.

I looked at the Rapid Bike stuff as well as the Bazzaz and the PCV I am already familiar with, I really just want to un-sanitize the factory ECU this time around. I really believe there is an inherent gain to be had by keeping all of the workings inside the heart of the system, the ECU. The Bren tune and the OEM tune stuff seem to be at the top of my list and just outside the grip of my funds for a bit anyway :grin2:

I'll run it as-is for a bit, then decide what mods to pursue. Could be suspension, steering, ergo's, or maybe even something goofy like lots of track days as-is >:)
you are right, there is gains to get with the factory ecu. however, it is $$$. and non transferable to next bike you get. so, get full exhaust and go to dealer and buy the hp code, this is the fueling for aftermarket exhaust. they might require affidavit of non road use. then when you want more, you can get hp code / cable / software for even more $$$$ to change ecu timing and injection and also traction control.

the thing is, this bike comes timed pretty much perfect from the factory. only easy and non engine-longevity altering mod is to enrichen fueling between 2k-8k rpm

read through all of the bren tune information you can before pulling the trigger. caveat emptor :wink2:

you should join the club and drop the $$$ into a season trackday pass if you want to go faster for the least amount of $$$ >:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.