Clutch switch problems? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:10 AM Thread Starter

Clutch switch problems?

Was out on a ride today, about 7,500 miles on my bike. For both my GF and myself, the bike suddenly began being inconsistent in spinning the starter with the clutch in and bike in gear. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, sometimes it doesn't and then does. Starting in neutral is unaffected/fine.

My presumption is that it's the clutch switch, but thought I'd check if anyone else is seeing this, or if there's a known cleaning or other issue that i should look at before taking it it.

KeS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 07:08 AM

Garage
hasn't got a clutch switch that affects the starting of the bike you only have to press the started unless the us version is different, i know mine doesn't so id be looking at the starter button or the side stand switch or gear position sensor......................
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1000RR ROB View Post
hasn't got a clutch switch that affects the starting of the bike you only have to press the started unless the us version is different, i know mine doesn't so id be looking at the starter button or the side stand switch or gear position sensor......................
Oh yes there is a clutch switch, and I'm pretty sure it's not just for USA bikes either. Use the search function. You'll find lots of references to clutch lever replacements where shifting and starting are affected if the really fine metal switch arms aren't addressed.

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:39 AM

Garage
so were saying that u need to pull the cluch lever to start your bmw............
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 09:56 AM
Sponsor/Admin

Garage
Quote:
so were saying that u need to pull the cluch lever to start your bmw............
Only if you're in gear (kickstand up)...

Riders Discount**MRRF-Road Racing Forum**Schuberth Helmets**Held Gloves/Leathers**Woodcraft**MOTUL

Motorcycle Racing - Because basketball, baseball, football, and golf only require one ball!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm saying that normally, I can start the bike either in neutral with the lever out or in, or in gear with the lever in. Now the bike has begun intermittently failing to start in gear with the lever in. Hence the presumption that it's the clutch switch.

KeS
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 01:54 PM

Garage
o i c i just assumed we all put bikes in neutral when were not using them....

id say its the clutch switch then mate lol, ohh i make me laugh.......
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
o i c i just assumed we all put bikes in neutral when were not using them....

id say its the clutch switch then mate lol, ohh i make me laugh.......
I never leave a bike sitting around in neutral. Eventually they will find a way to roll and fall over. Leave that to the dealerships where they have to push them around all day, and have better insurance.

KeS
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-13-2010, 04:48 PM

Check the clutch adjustment, if you go to far, at least in my case my bike would not start in 1st with clutch pulled in, futzing around with the adjustment cured it. I was trying to get smoother clutch action on downshifts, sometimes its a dream and other times it is very very notchy like. Let us know if that helped.
Fran
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 12:00 PM

I've had the same problem which is entirely due to the switch. You may also notice that you can't change modes while riding because the clutch switch does not register pulling in the lever. This problem is due to the spring steel strip on the lever not engaging the switch which is on the fixed part of the clutch lever assembly. Its easy to fix. Get a small screw driver and bend the spring steel strip towards the switch. Make sure you test it afterwards. You want to be able to hear the switch clicking about halfway through the lever's travel.
Incidentally, I've just upgraded my levers to the BMW-branded Gilles levers (available from BMW) and they have a much better switch arrangement that won't go our of adjustment.
Colers likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode