Oil window indication - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Oil window indication

How much oil is represented by the upper and lower levels on the oil window? My oil was at the top of the window after last oil service (1400 miles ago) and is now at the halfway point. How much oil use does this represent, and when would you add oil? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 12:53 PM

I think i put a cup or a little over of oil after about 2k

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
How much oil is represented by the upper and lower levels on the oil window? My oil was at the top of the window after last oil service (1400 miles ago) and is now at the halfway point. How much oil use does this represent, and when would you add oil? Thanks.
What? It's right there in your owner's manual.
Look in the Technical section near the back.
Now go look.

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
What? It's right there in your owner's manual.
Look in the Technical section near the back.
Now go look.
Got it...0.8L between min and max. Thanks for making me look. Just curious...at what level do you, personally, deem it necessary to "top up" your oil, Rainman...?

Last edited by flyrider; 08-31-2013 at 03:29 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-31-2013, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrider View Post
Got it...0.8L between min and max. Thanks for making me look. Just curious...at what level do you, personally, deem it necessary to "top up" your oil, Rainman...?
Glad you found it !!!
I try and keep mine no lower than half way up the upper half, and ideally close to the bottom of the red circle at the top in the window, which they mark as MAX. (Top of the red circle at the bottom is what they mark as MIN).
I estimate my ideal fill ranges are about 1/4".

Personally, I check every time I put the bike on the rear stand to clean and lube the chain (about every 500 miles or 3 weeks when dry, sooner if wet on the street). and I add approx. 6 oz, or 1/5 quart, or 0.18 liters back when it's at 1/4" down. At the track, I check the level every other session just to make sure nothing has gone sour. I do use more oil on a track day, and with about 18k miles on the engine, I think I'm putting no more than a half a quart in between oil changes @ roughly 3k miles. I don't really keep track of that.

Everybody's bike goes through oil at different rates, so check and figure out what your usage is over time.

The reason I check on the rear stand is the bike has to be perfectly vertical to read the window correctly. Try this. Read the glass on the side stand and note where it is. Then try and hold the bike vertical and stoop down to read the glass again. Whoa, that's hard or uncomfortable for me to do. So put a piece of 2"x4" under the side stand and hold it down with the left bar as you go down to look again. The level will be significantly lower.

Always do a final check when the oil is hot, not cold or even warm. Be very careful when refilling or topping off. Since from say middle to top mark of the glass is less than half a quart, if you overshoot the top of the glass, you've overfilled, and you can't see by how much. I do it in short stages and let sit a bit before looking again.

That's my $0.02.

On the street - 2/5/10.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-01-2013, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

Good info, Rainman. I took a good ride this morning, got the bike good and hot (fan came on as I neared home). Level was 2/3 up in window vs 1/2 up in window cold.

I'll probably add 1/4 quart of oil soon...when the indication is 1/2 up the window when hot. That won't get me to MAX, but I'd rather be around 3/4 full than overfull...err on the side of caution, as you do.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 02:38 AM

Guys,

Just out of curiosity, the maintenance manual speaks of changing oil with bike on side stand. Does that mean you fill it to the upper mark in the viewing window with the bike on side stand?
OR
Can I fill it to the upper level whilst bike is on bike stands?

I am curious to find out if BMW have engineered the viewing window such that people without stands can service their motorbike?
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudka View Post
Guys,

Just out of curiosity, the maintenance manual speaks of changing oil with bike on side stand. Does that mean you fill it to the upper mark in the viewing window with the bike on side stand? NO
OR
Can I fill it to the upper level whilst bike is on bike stands? YES

I am curious to find out if BMW have engineered the viewing window such that people without stands can service their motorbike? YES
I'm not sure what source you are referring to by "maintenance manual".
I have a paper 2010 Rider's Manual (US Model) that came with the bike when new, and a DVD Repair Manual (USA) (1st edition, 06/2010).

In my Rider's Manual, on page 107 in Section 9 titled "Maintenance" is a topic called "Engine Oil" and a subtopic of "Checking engine oil level". At the end of this subtopic is a paragraph with three bulleted items. The first bullet says "Make sure ground is level and firm and hold motorcycle at operating temperature vertically". Bizarre wording, but I take that to mean the bike needs to be perfectly vertical and horizontally level to read the appropriate oil level in the sight glass. It says nothing about filling.

The next subtopic is titled "Topping up engine oil" and it has 6 bullets.
None of these bullets mention either side stand or bike stands. The first bullet says the ground should be level (assume horizontally) and firm, and to "park" the motorcycle. The fifth bullet says "Checking engine oil level (-> 107)." which refers you back to the previous paragraph mentioned.

So recapping,... you can add oil while the bike is on side stand or bike stands, but when it comes to checking the oil level it must be level in both horizontal and vertical planes. To get vertical, you can use a block under the side stand (like I mention in post #5), or put the bike on wheel stands.

Make sense? and welcome.

On the street - 2/5/10.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Lifetime Member

Oil level should be checked with the bike on level ground with the bike upright. The use of a rear stand, un-level ground and not being perfectly upright will effect what you see in the window and ultimately your oil level.

2019 BMW K1600GT
2011 BMW S1000RR
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 01:07 PM

The bike does need to be basically level in both roll and pitch, but I don't think we need to start getting out carpenter levels or worrying whether a rear stand affects the pitch enough to throw off a reading. Basic common sense here.

- Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode