Oil window indication - Page 2 - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-02-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
The bike does need to be basically level in both roll and pitch, but I don't think we need to start getting out carpenter levels or worrying whether a rear stand affects the pitch enough to throw off a reading. Basic common sense here.

- Mark
Agreed, though "basic common sense" apparently isn't as prevalent as you suggest Mark. It certainly doesn't hurt to point out details so it become more clear.

I keep mine on the rear stand while filling and checking during oil changes, and I just use a hunk of 2"x4" under the sidestand (to keep the bike vertical and in my control) while leaning down to check the oil level between times.

That said, filling & checking the oil level while the bike is leaning on it's side stand is nowhere near the vertical position it needs to be in. Try that and you will be a quart low. I gaurantee it.

Second, you should consider the height of your wheel stands as well if you use them. For my bike and stand(s), it's much more sensitive to that roll (side to side) than pitch (front to back) by the very shape of the pan. I've put the bike on the rear stand only, on both stands, and on no stands on a perfectly flat garage floor. When measuring in all three of these situations it didn't make that much difference.

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainman View Post
I've put the bike on the rear stand only, on both stands, and on no stands on a perfectly flat garage floor. When measuring in all three of these situations it didn't make that much difference.
Yes, this was my basic point - you definitely want the bike upright in roll, but the effect of stands on pitch changes isn't worth worrying about. It's not like the oil level window is a super-precise means of measuring oil level to begin with - it varies quite a bit with other factors.

- Mark
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:11 PM

Thanks Rainman.

I think the US manual reads different to the Aus manual, I'll reconfirm when I next grab a hold of mine(I could be wrong). But your confirmation makes me happy to do what I've always done and top up in the logical manner.

Cheers!

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:13 PM

Good onya. You're certainly welcome mate.

------------------------------------------------
#2 at my dealer, and #1 Acid Green in WA St.
On the street - 2/5/10.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2018, 05:07 PM

Great information @Rainman! I was wondering about the red circle in the glass view. I assumed it was min and max, but it's good to double-check. Glad I found this threat.

That being said ... The most worrying thing to me, that I eventually learned is normal, was to see the oil completely disappear from the window as soon as the bike starts. I was really concerned it didn't had enough oil and I would break something. After much Googling, I learned we're not supposed to see anything on the window while the bike is running.
A1CACE likes this.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:33 PM

Level Front to Back

What about putting the front tire on a 2X6 or 2X8 then using your rear stand with the tire about 2" off of the ground? That might make it pretty dog gone level.

Just asking because I got a used 2015 and it has been having downshift issues when it gets to running temp. The shift lever doesn't return to center. I talked to the tech at the dealership where I got it and he suggested too much oil. I checked it after riding around doing some errands and the running temp was showing 190 (I live in super hot south Texas). I shut off the bike and there was no line. All oil after I shut the bike off. I just drained a smidge of oil out to be just over 1/2 the window while cold. Started it up on the rear stand and all the oil disappeared out of the window while running. Ran it on the stand until it hit 185 and the fan came one. shut it off and it was about the same maybe a little higher. I haven't put the front tire on a 2X but tomorrow I will take it for my dentist appointment and really check. If you think I might have taken too much oil out... that would be uhhhhh amazing since I can barely see the oil I dropped out in the bottom of a 10 qt pan.

I'm not a mechanic, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express this weekend.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1000rr View Post
Great information @Rainman! I was wondering about the red circle in the glass view. I assumed it was min and max, but it's good to double-check. Glad I found this threat.

That being said ... The most worrying thing to me, that I eventually learned is normal, was to see the oil completely disappear from the window as soon as the bike starts. I was really concerned it didn't had enough oil and I would break something. After much Googling, I learned we're not supposed to see anything on the window while the bike is running.
Whew! Glad I just read this. I was afraid I screwed up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode