BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Lightech Chain Adjusters Sloppy? Crooked Axle and Funky Sprocket Wear Pattern

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Funny 
#1 ·
During a recent 200 mile loop ride I notice there are a lot of chain grease being thrown off from the chain, the sprocket and chain look wet, like a bit of fresh chain lube:surprise:, but I didn't lube my chain for a couple hundred miles. Lo and behold, I notice there are triangular wear mark on the sprocket that I didn't notice last time I clean and lubed the chain. After I removed the rear wheel, I also notice there are some slop on the Lightech Chain Adjuster that I bought new, used for about 1500miles. The slop allow the axle holders to slide a few millimeter forward and rearward.

I want to think I made a mistake on the installation of the adjusters, or didn't jam the chain and sprocket hard enough to make sure the axle seated properly before I tighten the axle nut. Anyways, I wonder what cause the axle to shift on the adjuster like this:confused::confused:

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't see that as the cause of the strange wear, the adjuster only locates the axle, it's still up to you to make sure it's square and to properly torque the axle nut. Did you perhaps ride with the axle loose?
Could the stock rear axle nut come loose? I only have a Kobalt click type torque wrench and I torque it down to roughly 75lb/ft after I installed the chain adjuster. When I was removing the axle nut last night to take these photos I didn't need a lot of effort to back the axle nut out.

#9 ·
A BMW ASBK rider over here had a bad issue at Phillip Island at the beginning of the year. To him it felt like a chassis alignment issue where the bike would turn one way well and not the other. Long story short, after checking frame, fork and swingarm alignment, it was found that the laser engraved marking on the aftermarket chain adjusters (not lightech - another brand but same style) were printed incorrectly and were offset side to side. Obviously this would cause similar wear patterns. Not saying this would be your problem but none the less something to look out for, for anyone that may be searching threads in future..

#11 ·
There is play front to rear with most adjusters so when tightening axle you need to apply forward leverage on wheel (same way chain wants to pull on wheel towards motor) to make sure it sits hard against both adjuster stops. I find with my S1000RR the swingarm pulls in allot before it starts to clamp axle spacers/wheel so need to keep forward pressure on wheel until there is some clamping force so nothing moves before I properly torque the axle. You also need to make sure the Lightech adjusters installed correctly within swingarm channel. It might be an idea to check rear wheel alinement is correct with the alinement marks on Lightech adjusters.

#12 · (Edited)
On my previous bike (TL1000R), I swapped the axle and blocks so that it inserted from the gear shift side of the rear wheel. This way, when tightening the axle nut, the applied torque would push towards the adjusting screws in the swingarm rather than away from them and increasing the chain tension.

Can I do this on the S1000RR without screwing something up? Sure would make it easier to properly adjust chain tension.

#13 ·
An easy way is to stick a round screwdriver between the chain and the sprocket, and roll it up on the sprocket...that will tighten the chain and pull the wheel forward...then torque the axle...much easier than trying to push it forward...

A good idea might be to also check your distance independently of the adjusters to see if they are working correctly...

#14 ·
I have a set of Lightecs on my XR and also have a chinese knock-off set ($50) my R:
1) there is definitely a quality difference
2) the lightecs have no movement in them
3) whilst the Chinese knockoffs have 3-5mm play

I just swapped the sets over to the opposite bike and the results are the same. The Lightecs are rock solid, Chinese have 3-5mm play.

#16 ·
I purchase these chain adjusters brand new from Revzilla, I tend to think Revzilla is not an outfit that sells counterfeits. With no axle in place there is a slight slop that allows the axle block on the Lightech adjuster to move back and forth though. With the axle lock in place by the axle nuts of course there will be no slop to be felt..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.