Lightech Chain Adjusters Sloppy? Crooked Axle and Funky Sprocket Wear Pattern - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Lightech Chain Adjusters Sloppy? Crooked Axle and Funky Sprocket Wear Pattern

During a recent 200 mile loop ride I notice there are a lot of chain grease being thrown off from the chain, the sprocket and chain look wet, like a bit of fresh chain lube, but I didn't lube my chain for a couple hundred miles. Lo and behold, I notice there are triangular wear mark on the sprocket that I didn't notice last time I clean and lubed the chain. After I removed the rear wheel, I also notice there are some slop on the Lightech Chain Adjuster that I bought new, used for about 1500miles. The slop allow the axle holders to slide a few millimeter forward and rearward.

I want to think I made a mistake on the installation of the adjusters, or didn't jam the chain and sprocket hard enough to make sure the axle seated properly before I tighten the axle nut. Anyways, I wonder what cause the axle to shift on the adjuster like this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ChainAdjusterSlop.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	202332   Click image for larger version

Name:	ChainAdjusterSlopwear.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	202334  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:15 AM

Strange. I think the marks are from the shift of the axle...

You will never be arrested #58
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:22 PM

I don't see that as the cause of the strange wear, the adjuster only locates the axle, it's still up to you to make sure it's square and to properly torque the axle nut. Did you perhaps ride with the axle loose?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrIoannis View Post
Strange. I think the marks are from the shift of the axle...
Quote:
Originally Posted by skapan View Post
I don't see that as the cause of the strange wear, the adjuster only locates the axle, it's still up to you to make sure it's square and to properly torque the axle nut. Did you perhaps ride with the axle loose?
Could the stock rear axle nut come loose? I only have a Kobalt click type torque wrench and I torque it down to roughly 75lb/ft after I installed the chain adjuster. When I was removing the axle nut last night to take these photos I didn't need a lot of effort to back the axle nut out.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:38 PM

Garage
I think spec on the axle nut is 100 lbs-ft
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
Wow really?! My manual is showing 100NM for the rear axle nut, or equivalent to 73.75lb/ft
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Samedi View Post
Wow really?! My manual is showing 100NM for the rear axle nut, or equivalent to 73.75lb/ft
Hmm. Maybe I mis-read lbs-ft rather than NM. I'll have to check.

Last edited by Baron Samedi; 08-17-2019 at 07:28 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:52 PM

Garage
You're right. It's 100 NM. I'm going to have to re-do mine.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 07:35 PM

Garage
A BMW ASBK rider over here had a bad issue at Phillip Island at the beginning of the year. To him it felt like a chassis alignment issue where the bike would turn one way well and not the other. Long story short, after checking frame, fork and swingarm alignment, it was found that the laser engraved marking on the aftermarket chain adjusters (not lightech - another brand but same style) were printed incorrectly and were offset side to side. Obviously this would cause similar wear patterns. Not saying this would be your problem but none the less something to look out for, for anyone that may be searching threads in future..

2019/20/K67/Gen3 or whatever M Sport ordered
2017 RR road (RIP)
2010 RR track
@andrew_s1000rr
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
During a recent 200 mile loop ride I notice there are a lot of chain grease being thrown off from the chain, the sprocket and chain look wet, like a bit of fresh chain lube, but I didn't lube my chain for a couple hundred miles. Lo and behold, I notice there are triangular wear mark on the sprocket that I didn't notice last time I clean and lubed the chain. After I removed the rear wheel, I also notice there are some slop on the Lightech Chain Adjuster that I bought new, used for about 1500miles. The slop allow the axle holders to slide a few millimeter forward and rearward.

I want to think I made a mistake on the installation of the adjusters, or didn't jam the chain and sprocket hard enough to make sure the axle seated properly before I tighten the axle nut. Anyways, I wonder what cause the axle to shift on the adjuster like this
I had same problem when I forgot to set right side to same distance as left one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in