Valve adjustment on a hot or cold bike? - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Valve adjustment on a hot or cold bike?

Just for starters, 2014 s1000rr with about 16.5k miles.

So I wanted to save some money and bring my bike in for service with everything taken off so I'm not paying extra for someone to take an hour or two to disassemble it. I've seen things about checking valves when cold and adjusting while warm or something like that.

The weird thing is, a bmw dealer said I could bring the bike disassembled and they quoted me less. Then a non dealer bike shop told me about the hot/cold thing being and issue and told me they need to be able to start the bike...

Does it really matter for a regular road driven bike?

Should I be concerned at all? If I have to pay like $200 extra for a tech to take my fairings off I might just do it myself and learn something new lol.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:38 PM

If you have never adjusted valves before I would leave the job to someone that has experience. I am a small engine mechanic and then my shop I know some mechanics adjust valves too tight. With small engines we adjust valves on a cold engine. If I am not mistaken, I think only race engines are adjusted with a hot engine.
shadowchemos likes this.

2014 HP4 Comp #5961
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:39 PM

I have never done a valve adjustment on a BMW motorcycle, but I've done plenty of complete rebuilds on the N14 engine built by BMW and also have done valve adjustments on Ducatis and you certainly don't need the engine warm.

Maybe someone more familiar with the process on an S1000RR can chime in, but I see no reason for it to be warm to do a valve adjustment. Honestly sounds like the guy who said it might not have a clue what he's talking about.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 06:43 PM

Typically if you adjust valves on a hot engine to the cold values when the engine cools down your valve lash will be too big.
shadowchemos likes this.

2014 HP4 Comp #5961
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:55 AM

Valve adjustment on the S 1000 RR should be done cold.
DrIoannis, beech and shadowchemos like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Cool, thanks for the info!!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 02:17 PM

As others have pointed out cold is the way to go. The main reason for adjusting them in the first place is to allow room for expansion when the engine gets hot.
shadowchemos likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by netaron View Post
As others have pointed out cold is the way to go. The main reason for adjusting them in the first place is to allow room for expansion when the engine gets hot.
Good to hear that more people are confirming this, won't be getting this service done at the place where the guy told me about the hot cold stuff. I don't trust them anymore lol. Thanks!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:30 PM

There definitely seems to be some merit with checking the valve clearance while the engine is hot. I'm not sure how one would go about that since if it's done, it should be done to a specific target. Let's say it's a race engine, and your optimum temp is 208F as an example, one would want to see what type of clearance you have and if the cold clearance needs to be adjusted in order to accommodate the target operating temperature clearance with all parts fully expanded. So the "other" mechanic may be discussing that point and unless it's a race engine or some form of high performance application as it has been stated above, it's a moot point for an everyday ride with a few trackdays thrown in.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:47 PM

Trying to do it hot would sort of be like trying to out-engineer the engineers. I can understand trying to verify that they're not too tight when hot, but that's it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode