• 1 Post By bennymx
  • 1 Post By A B
  • 1 Post By bennymx
  • 2 Post By A B
  • 1 Post By bennymx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

X-803 ULTRA CARBON

My review of my new helmet after a week of riding to work and a 4 day twisty trip.

My first helmet was a Shoei XR1100. It served me well for 5 or so years. I initially picked Shoei over Arai because the Arai felt too close to my nose and mouth. The Shoei had more room in the front.

My second helmet was a Arai Corsair V. I had to have one as it came out in a specific graphic that had a special meaning to me. Although the closeness to the front of my head was annoying, I got over it and ended up loving it more than the Shoei. I used this for about 5 years too. It was very worn out by the end of it. Great helmet though. I nearly bought another one but thought I would try something different again.

My new helmet is the Xlite/Nolan X-803 Ultra Carbon.

It's so light. 1310grams for the Medium which I have.

When I first tried them on I found that the medium was very tight, almost too tight. The large felt comfortable. But I knew that my Arai was a medium and the centimeter sizing meant I should be a medium in the Nolan as well. You get used to flogged out 5 year old helmets. They are like a nice old pair of slippers. New gear feels sh1t. I ordered the Medium. Putting it on was not too bad. But I have large ears and they would get folded over and this would cause pain and discomfort. Normally in the Arai I would just put my fingers inside and fold them back out. The Nolan though I could hardly even fit my fingers in. I thought maybe this is the wrong size or helmet shape for me. I also transferred my sena comms unit over from my Arai to the Nolan. I also wear ear plugs. So I thought this is all going to make it worse. After a week of riding to work it started to bed in a little bit. I could manage to get my fingers in and push my ears back which made it so much more comfortable.

The venting system is very good on this helmet. It has 5 vents. 1 on the chin, 1 above the visor, 2 on top of your head at front and 1 at rear. Very good for hot weather riding. It came with a pinlock and I also ordered a tinted visor to go with it. It seems very quiet compared to my Arai but that would be normal. My Arai was worn out from 5 years of use so the pads would not seal out noise and I also only wore earplugs for a few months before I replaced it. The comms system fitted in perfectly. Room for speakers etc. Taking the helmet off you notice how tight it is, but I guess it's still new and it should be tight. It doesn't cause pain at all.

Over all I really love the helmet so far.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:24 PM

Looks sweet! The X-803 Ultra Carbon, in high gloss black carbon fiber is on my short list for the future.

I had a similar fitment issue when I just changed from using 3 Arai Quantum/Corsairs over the years to a HJC RPHA 11 Pro. Half of reviews say the RPHA 11 Pro runs a little small....but half reviews say it’s true fit.

The Arais I had were all 58cm mediums and fit well, so I got the 58cm medium HJC as well and it was TIGHT. I wore it around the house for 20 minutes and got so clautrophobic I had to rip it off. My cheeks physically hurt and & I had a small headache for a few minutes. Tried it for 20 minutes again the next day and when I couldn’t take the cheek/facial discomfort anymore I gladly ripped it off again. Decided this could get dangerous if I went on a ride and had issues.....so I bought some smaller cheek pads to make it a “Large” helmet. That worked, love the RPHA 11 Pro...especially that I got it for $360.

The HJC is a bargain....I don’t really want to pay $700-800-900 for a helmet again.

bennymx likes this.

2017 S1000RR
2013 K1600 GTL

Last edited by Erion929; 03-10-2019 at 11:32 PM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Looks sweet! The X-803 Ultra Carbon, in high gloss black carbon fiber is on my short list for the future.

I had a similar fitment issue when I just changed from using 3 Arai Quantum/Corsairs over the years to a HJC RPHA 11 Pro. Half of reviews say the RPHA 11 Pro runs a little small....but half reviews say it’s true fit.

The Arais I had were all 58cm mediums and fit well, so I got the 58cm medium HJC as well and it was TIGHT. I wore it around the house for 20 minutes and got so clautrophobic I had to rip it off. My cheeks physically hurt and & I had a small headache for a few minutes. Tried it for 20 minutes again the next day and when I couldn’t take the cheek/facial discomfort anymore I gladly ripped it off again. Decided this could get dangerous if I went on a ride and had issues.....so I bought some smaller cheek pads to make it a “Large” helmet. That worked, love the RPHA 11 Pro...especially that I got it for $360.

The HJC is a bargain....I don’t really want to pay $700-800-900 for a helmet again.

Its a race helmet, they have a tighter fit. Glad it worked out
bennymx likes this.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:14 PM

Garage
looks hot!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:33 PM

I am thinking about getting this helmet in the flat carbon model. What com system are you using? I have the Sena 30K that I would be installing.

Some of the most asinine things people do are typically preceded by the two words "Watch this".
S1000RR (hers) | 350EXC (hers) | XT250 (hers)
ST4s (mine) | R1250GSA (mine) | 500EXC (mine)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_focker View Post
I am thinking about getting this helmet in the flat carbon model. What com system are you using? I have the Sena 30K that I would be installing.
I have the sena smh10r.
s_focker likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 10:53 PM
A B

Garage
whats your verdict on this lid after 6 months? Cant find a stockist in Canberra, where did you get yours from?
bennymx likes this.

1990 Carrera 4 | 2016 S1000RR | 2010 S1000RR (gone)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah mate I love it. I got mine directly through the importer as I know him. I am inquiring now for you about Canberra dealers.
A B likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 PM
A B

Garage
Got one, had to wait for Nolan to make it. Benny what visor did you get, I got the smoke but it's not dark enough for full sunny days.

Sent by shoephone via Tapatoe
bennymx and s_focker like this.

1990 Carrera 4 | 2016 S1000RR | 2010 S1000RR (gone)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

I got this one. Works for me.

SKU: RAX802SRDV

https://www.peterstevens.com.au/x-li...2rr-x-661.html
A B likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode