Cardo rider packtalk 'slim' - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Cardo rider packtalk 'slim'

Have you seen the new CARDO SCALA RIDER PACKTALK SLIM?

It looks to be a real SENA "killer".

Being voice activated, you never have to use your hands again.
It's only 6.5mm thick!

See the list of helmet this thing is compatible with:
https://www.cardosystems.com/packtalkslim-compatible/

Revzilla has a video on this.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...k-slim-headset

Regrettably their website tells me they wont ship it out to Australia; so I'm not sure where I'll be getting one come July 1st.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 09:58 AM

Garage
Love my Sena 20S, SICK of the pairing issues tho.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-18-2018, 11:45 AM

I use Sena 3S. Everything is integrated in the speakers, and the controls are minuscule. The only consideration is the speakers require a bit deeper pockets. Arai Defiant hosts them well.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 03:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgatev View Post
I use Sena 3S.
Well I didn't know about the 3S until you pointed it out.

I've been looking at the 3S-W through the day . . . . I really like the size and the price. It's probably all I really need . . . . . but that's it like at speed.

There's a guy on YouTube with a series of demonstrations about SENA 30K vs. Cardo PACKTALK.

I'm much, much more of a solo rider than a group rider. So the mesh network is not the main selling point for me what has got me going is the YouTube clip about cancelling wind noise:

I like to cruise in the upper KPH range . . . . as much as I can get away with.

What's your experience stgatev of hearing the 3S above the wind noise?
techno_violet likes this.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Well I didn't know about the 3S until you pointed it out.

I've been looking at the 3S-W through the day . . . . I really like the size and the price. It's probably all I really need . . . . . but that's it like at speed.

There's a guy on YouTube with a series of demonstrations about SENA 30K vs. Cardo PACKTALK.

I'm much, much more of a solo rider than a group rider. So the mesh network is not the main selling point for me what has got me going is the YouTube clip about cancelling wind noise: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN4M...TuxTTV&index=4

I like to cruise in the upper KPH range . . . . as much as I can get away with.

What's your experience stgatev of hearing the 3S above the wind noise?
I use the Sena 3S for music, navigation, and radar detector warnings. I wear Arai helmet, which are not known for quietness. I also wear quality, well sealing earplugs. I can still hear the music and voice at 80 mph. It is my first and only helmet speaker system, so I cannot compare the sound quality to other systems, but to me it is adequate. I can use navigation, take calls, listen to tunes, get radar warnings, etc. while riding, with my phone sitting in my backpack.

I have not tried the rider-to-rider features, as I mostly ride solo, so I cannot comment on that. I believe there is ability to pair to other intercoms, as well as use the Sena rider app, but have never attempted either.

I bought a "supplies kit" (velcro and double-sided tape) when I moved the system between helmets. It costs $3.95. I also got a magnetic micro USB charging adapter (Wsken brand) as to not damage the port while charging. I have not ran out of juice while on the ride. My guess is that the battery will last about as long as your phone's, and I recharge it after every 2-3 hours of active use.

All in all, a very inconspicuous little system, very usable. I am currently shopping for a new helmet, and have not even for a moment thought about installing a different set of speakers into it. I guess that confirms my confidence in the 3S.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 AM

Garage
I have two Arai helmets I switch between and I bought a second mounting kit, so I can just switch the actual unit over and not have to deal with removing and re-installing it every time.
It works great when in line of sight between riders, trees and other things between riders will cause it to temporarily drop.
Pairing is problematic, especially between different Sena models, once in a while it forces us to unfortunately give up though.

I was the one who talked some friends into getting a Sena, and I catch the flak when they're so hard to pair up!
k9crew and techno_violet like this.

Last edited by L8Apex; 06-19-2018 at 10:09 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:31 AM

I just installed Cardo Packtalk Slim in my new X-14 helmet. I was a bit concerned about the battery rubbing my neck, but none of the reviewers seemed concerned with it so I went ahead and got one.

Initial impressions: it is a bit quieter than my Sena 3S. I thought it would be louder thanks to the standalone speakers and bigger battery, but the Sena is louder. I am not talking about sound quality, as I don't have any expectations in that regard, just volume. On the other hand, the X-14 is quieter than my Arai so I can still hear the Cardo.

I am still learning it so cannot offer much insight into the features, other than that it pairs with my phone, starts, stops, and I hear the radar detector alerts.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 09:38 AM

I have the Sena SMH10R. Love it. So slim line. Not bulky like the other big ones. Don't want that crap hanging off. Looks pox. Use mine every day for 4 years. No issues.

A B, k9crew, CYCLE_MONKEY and 1 others like this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 10:21 AM

Garage
I had the 10R as well, it's the worst about connecting with other Sena models and has the shortest range of all of them.
The profile is why I originally bought it tho.

We would try to pair this, and two other Sena models, it was awful and most of the time we had to give up and drop the guy with the 10R.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgatev View Post
I just installed Cardo Packtalk Slim in my new X-14 helmet. I was a bit concerned about the battery rubbing my neck, but none of the reviewers seemed concerned with it so I went ahead and got one.

Initial impressions: it is a bit quieter than my Sena 3S. I thought it would be louder thanks to the standalone speakers and bigger battery, but the Sena is louder. I am not talking about sound quality, as I don't have any expectations in that regard, just volume. On the other hand, the X-14 is quieter than my Arai so I can still hear the Cardo.

I am still learning it so cannot offer much insight into the features, other than that it pairs with my phone, starts, stops, and I hear the radar detector alerts.
Does your radar detector have built in bluetooth? Will RD alerts come in above music from your phone?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode