BMW S1000RR Forum banner

Frame Sliders for 2019/20 RR

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  puget1000rr 
#1 ·
Seems that 2 brands available in Australia, R&G and Evotech, which don't require fairing modification to install. Any views on which are better?

#6 ·
I put the R&G on my 2020 RR because I like them on my K1300S and that CSS uses them on their fleet. I spoke to their master mechanic who says that they've had very good performance out of them. I imagine they have a few dozen crashes each year and so have a lot of experience. I also got the R&G engine covers for the same reason.

#16 ·
MotoGP bikes do not have sliders and typically flip during a crash - spectacularly so.

At the national level in the States few use frame sliders as the classes are competitive enough the riders prefer the weight savings. Their bikes regularly flip or roll during a crash.

Club racers typically use sliders, engine savers, etc. as the potential to limit damage is worth the tradeoff.

Whether a bike slides or flips depends on the nature of the crash (low side, high side, speed, etc.), track surface, and more. That is, random luck.

#22 ·
Makes sense - thank you.

In my first highside a non-folding footpeg caused the rearset to bend its attachment points on the frame, so I can definitely see how sliders could damage a frame.

So far I've been lucky and the bolts attaching sliders to my frame have bent before damaging the frame (at least as far as I can tell).

#24 ·
All I can say is R&G saved my bike 100% from a low speed, low side. Only had a scuff on the right side cover and scuff on the shift lever.

The stick out factor on the R&Gs doesn’t play a role. The bolts are made with soft metal that work like leaf springs. Well they bend easy and stay that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.