• 6 Post By bennymx
  • 2 Post By flyryder
  • 3 Post By bennymx
  • 2 Post By Tom Bernhardt
  • 5 Post By Tom Bernhardt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Red face R 1250 RS

So this weekend I was running in a new R 1250 RS. What a machine it is. I have ridden the 1200 a lot in the past but since then I haven't really had any time on one.

The weather down here is quite sh1t at the moment. It so wet and cold with snow in the mountains. Today though we got relatively warmer temps with 15 degrees Celsius and sun all day. Still was only around 4 in the mountains but roads were dry with some little damp patches. Lots of bark, leaves, sticks, rocks and dirt on the road. Treacherous conditions for a RR.

It's hard to go out on my RR and have fun when you spend most of your time just tip toeing around the crap. You can't lean over at all or put the power down. It's a waste of time. As soon as you jump on a XR, GS or anything like that its instantly so much fun.

The RS I am riding has Michellin Pilot Road 5 tyres. I have ridden on them before but again, it's been a while. I had forgotten just how good these things are. I was riding so fast and leaning over on the wet road without a care in the world. The bike just did it effortlessly. So stable on the wet and gravely road. Not a hint of slip on the front all day. I did have the TC kick in slightly but only due to me grabbing too much throttle. The tyres didn't want to let go even on a wet road and lots of throttle. Very little spin. The ground clearance is hampered by the comfortable peg position but it doesn't slow it down. A RR can get no where near it at all in the wet and dirty conditions. The brakes were awesome too. You could brake so hard on the front and on the wet road but it just pulled up. It still surprises me just how damn good the other BMW models are. They really are such good bikes.

I need a XR or RS for winter duties that's for sure. It's been so long since I have ridden that hard. Can't wait for winter to be over and the new 2020 RR summer riding can start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:28 AM

Ah, sh*t, benny, I wish you hadn't posted this. I have actually been watching the RS 1250 development for the past year and was even thinking that at 72 years of age the RS might be a good "overall" bike for me at some point. Now you post what a great bike it is...man, that's tempting.

Right now the '17 RR and '18 GT meet all my needs, but if I wanted one bike to do both...maybe the RS 1250 is it.

Looks good in black storm metallic, too...

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/rgtQMcL2K5c/maxresdefault.jpg

Edit: Benny, did you happen to notice how the wind protection was on the RS? Especially the noise level in your helmet...thanks.
bennymx and wfo439 like this.

Last edited by flyryder; 08-17-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:43 AM

Garage
Personally, I think the 1250RS and the S1000XR fulfill the same niche, so I guess what it comes down to boxer vs IL4

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonUK View Post
Personally, I think the 1250RS and the S1000XR fulfill the same niche, so I guess what it comes down to boxer vs IL4
They do. But the XR has a lot more ground clearance and more power. So for me, I'd chose the XR. It's faster.
@flyryder The wind noise is not too bad. I wear custom ear plugs though. The screen has 2 positions none of which make much difference. The upper position seems to direct the wind into your face and onto the helmet so It needs to be taller in my opinion. Bit of a nothingness screen.
flyryder, ajmadison49 and xorbe like this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
They do. But the XR has a lot more ground clearance and more power. So for me, I'd chose the XR. It's faster.
@flyryder The wind noise is not too bad. I wear custom ear plugs though. The screen has 2 positions none of which make much difference. The upper position seems to direct the wind into your face and onto the helmet so It needs to be taller in my opinion. Bit of a nothingness screen.
The XR is totally badass, especially for a bike that's comfortable touring. I was on one for nine days through the Alps in five countries last summer and that might have been the most fun I've ever had.
Torchsport and ajmadison49 like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 01:18 PM
z00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post
The XR is totally badass, especially for a bike that's comfortable touring. I was on one for nine days through the Alps in five countries last summer and that might have been the most fun I've ever had.
Did you do that trip of of Lee euro trips or on your own? Do you mind sharing the details? I'm looking at doing the same.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 10:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
Did you do that trip of of Lee euro trips or on your own? Do you mind sharing the details? I'm looking at doing the same.
A dozen friends and associates booked our trip through Edelweiss, which is the premier motorcycle touring firm in the world. They do everything: provide the bikes (chosen from a rich menu ahead of time), a van, two guides, an itinerary, hotel bookings, etc.

The guides showed up at our designated hotel (in Erding, near Munich) in the van towing a long trailer with our bikes. They unloaded them and we had a long briefing on the trip, the route, the stops, the procedures, rules, etc. We started out the next morning, One guide drove the van with our luggage, and extra bike, tools and parts, and the other guide rode a bike to lead the pack. We generally rode about two hours between stops - a coffee stop in the mid morning, lunch, mid afternoon, and ultimately our hotel for the evening.

We went through all of the pretty mountain areas, often at full-sport speeds and leans. The weather was perfect, the roads/views beautiful, and the guides were superb. The guides took turns being the lead and in the van (the van took a straighter highway route to the next hotel). The guides were an Austrian man and a German woman. They were both expert riders but the guy was really really good. He said he wanted to enter the Isle of Man TT.

We had some diversity in bikes. I was on the XR. Other bikes included a Ducati Multistrada 1260, a 1200 RT, five GS/GSAs, and four Harleys. The latter were a real problem. While we had a spectrum of rider ability and risk aversion (I was behind the guide, then the Multi ) where we had to wait for others to catch up, the Harleys tended to be way, way behind. They didn't have the ground clearance or handling to keep up, and Harley riders tend to not be very good. The pack leaders would wait, often ten minutes, to regather the group.

One Harley rider had a terrible wreck, and it wasn't due to speed. (I was told) he was going about 50 km/h entering a town. The road veered left and he didn't - probably inattention and then target fixation, but no one really knows the cause. He went into the grass and then hit a tree. He flew into another tree where he got a nasty compound fracture of the right femur including destruction of the right knee, and a simple fracture of his left tibia. He was life-flighted to a German hospital where he spent several months. Despite most of us not knowing him, we donated many thousands of dollars to help him out. Sad.

Of course, I and most of the rest of us were many miles ahead when we got the call. We waited a while, but ultimately just went on to the next hotel on our plan. Another one of the Harley riders, his cousin, stayed with the injured rider, and the rest of us went on with the trip. We were very philosophical about the whole thing. We were there to tear up the Alps and have fun.

I can't tell you all of the amazingly beautiful areas we went through that included Germany, France, back to German, Switzerland (obeyed highway speed limits there), Lichtenstein, Austria, Germany, Austria and ending back in Erding.

The Austrian passes were probably my favorites where I did some of the more sociopathic riding ever, staying with my TT-aspirant guide, and leaving the rest way behind. I passed several flowered monuments on cliff sides to riders/drivers that didn't make it, but it was so viscerally intoxicating. I did slow down after a 120 degree turn on a cliffside where I looked down a couple thousand feet while leaned over 50 degrees; I just decided I needed to scale it back a wee bit.

But the trip was amazing. Great rides, hotels, friends, evening beers, professional everything, and Edelweiss was perfect. I couldn't recommend it more.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 11:26 PM

Decent RS review here:

I'm thinking...maybe trade the under-powered GT for the RS. Benny, if you have more comments on the RS, they'd be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode