Possibly venturing to a new brand / bike - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes
  • 1 Post By Amok
  • 3 Post By Force Induced
  • 2 Post By bennymx
  • 1 Post By wfo439
  • 1 Post By Force Induced
  • 1 Post By skapan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Possibly venturing to a new brand / bike

I've been on a BMW S1000RR for the last 6 years. While I've never been treated bad with my bikes I'm slowly wanting to test the waters elsewhere.

I'm being pulled in by the allure of the 2019 RSV4 Factory and the Ducati V4S.

I recently had the chance to do short demo rides on both. Unfortunately I didn't get to push either bike real hard but got a feel of the character and handling.

2019 RSV4 Factory The Good
The Aprilia in my opinion has the best stock motor power I've felt on any bike to date. Now I wouldn't call myself a expert whose ridden everything there is but I'm very mechanical and observant. The V4 sound track on the rsv4 has to be one of my absolute favorites. The quick shifter worked well and downshift with autoblip as well. I'm glad most mfg's are going TFT now like the look of a digital dash. I felt fairly confident out of the gate on the rsv4 to lean and accelerate in the curves. The weight was there as it being known as the heaviest but truth be told it didn't bother me one bit. The position is a bit smaller for me as I'm 6'0 but I think with a half inch lower pegs and a softer seat I would be golden. The suspension may be manual units but ohlins units that are tried and true. The brake calipers while same model as the duc felt better from the initial grab, but demo bike could have been broken in more than the other.

The Bad
The seat after a 30 minute test ride was causing me a bit of grief, but I know the factory tuono seat is a touch softer and a easy drop in. The dash while cruising on the lower speed streets "fairly bumpy" would tend to vibrate just a small bit. I did stall the bike once during low speeds which didn't happen at all on the duc , my guess is just need to get more oriented to the clutch throttle combo for slow / parking lot speeds. Wind coverage wasn't up to the level I'd like but I think a taller windscreen would fix that. The start and stop button rotated on me but controls could have needed a little tightening down.

Other thoughts: Really love the 1100 motor, the fact I can get a race ecu and keep warranty even with a tune is sublime. Having AF1 nearby is also a huge bonus. The chassis is a bit dated and a touch heavy however still felt great. I'm not sure how long of rides I could maintain on the bike but that would be me just adjusting to a new platform.

2019 Ducati V4S

The Good
The ducati felt nimble being such a low wet weight made it feel like tip was so easy and fast that made me hesitate on one of the first turns with it, the counter rotating crank I think also played into this. The TFT dash seemed to be touch better unit than the ape. The active suspension settings and ability to adjust easily is nice. I know the duc has mixed reviews on its quick shifter but during that ride it was ultra light and butter smooth , the ape worked flawlessly as well but the duc seemed a touch more refined. Though I'm curious if the aprilia race ecu clears up a few things. The overall look of the Ducati is quite nice a very good looking bike with the leds and head lamps. The exhaust is a touch more rough than the aprilia but still a nice unique sound. The riding position for me felt a touch better as you sat just a bit more into the bike vs on top. The power of the bike was good as most current SBK's are plenty for a mere lower skilled rider as my self.

The Bad
The full exhaust system would cost a kidney. The low speed vibrations in the mirrors were fairly bad but bars was a non issue. Cost wise its top of the list. The brakes were a bit touchy with the initial bite but could have been low miles vs high miles demo situation. The tank left something to be desired as a place for gripping with my legs for core support. I think the bike needs the comfort seat as well. In my approx 30 minute run I did catch whiffs of heat from the exhaust bends near my right leg, a sign that it might be quite hot after hard rides, which aftermarket exhaust could remedy but see ala cost of kidney again. There have been recalls on the v4's but all bikes go through new model pains and most issues are sorted. I did see some owners having oil leaks which is disheartening but not sure if fixed by the recalls.

Conclusion:
Both bikes are beautiful units full of character coming from my long stint of inline 4 bmw. I haven't ridden the new bmw but its suffering EPA tune related issues among other things but they are getting it sorted. I'm very tempted to join the v4 bandwagon as I've always loved the engine sound and character. Im a bit stuck at a impasse with with the v4's.

Also I did get price quotes on insurance as strange as it is the 2019 BMW is most expensive followed by the Aprilia. The Ducati was cheaper by 100$ per month than the other two with a clean record. Not sure who they had bribed for that but it is a real consideration.

I would appreciate any input or perspective, granted I know this the BMW forums lol.

Regards,

Josh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:43 PM

I'm biased by i'd go the ape for sure, that sound is the best thing. I can't imagine ever selling my Tuono.
bennymx likes this.

2015 S1000RR (sold)
2016 Tuono
2017 R Nine T

<10K club janitor.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:16 PM

Shut the door on your way out.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Benny no reason to be an arse I still love my old BMW's and even still have a deposit on the new unit. However I'm tempted to go v4 for just a different experience. Some folks like inline 6's some folks like v8's gotta sample both to see.
bennymx, wfo439 and techno_violet like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:31 PM

haha it's all good man. Just stirring. If I didn't end up with BMW I probably would be on a V4 or RSV4 anyway. I have worked for Ducati in the past. The V4 sound can't be compared to a inline 4.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:56 AM

Garage
I'd keep my deposit down on the 2020, but if you're insistent upon leaving, I'd definitely go with the Aprilia.

The looks of the Ducati are in a world of their own, that bike is truly a piece of art... but the Aprilia handles so well. Not saying the Duc doesn't. And given that the Ape weighs the most, the handling is even more impressive. Also, like you said in your post, the engine is the best of the three. That grunt is insane, and the noise is perfect. Lastly, the ability to have the dealer tune it is the icing on the cake. So, if it were my money I'd take the Ape.

Also, I know this doesn't matter to most, and it should be taken with a grain of salt, but: almost all motorcycle media companies (when comparing the Ape, Duc, and BMW in a shootout) end up making their final decision between the Ape and the Bimmer, with Duc #3.

Good luck! Keep us updated.

2020 S1000RR M-Package
2014 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1979 Honda CB400 (sold)

Last edited by techno_violet; 07-14-2019 at 12:58 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:23 AM

Before you actually decide, do as much research as you can on honoring warranty claims, blown engines and maintenance. Someone , possibly @skapan posted a video of an Ape engine blowing at Cota?
If I recall correctly, Aprilia was no help. Engine repairs should have been warrantied but weren't..
I believe the V4 requires new valve springs or some other major service at 10K based on a previous post here. I would love to have all 3 bikes in my garage but that just isn't possible. Choose wisely and enjoy the bike you pick. They all have things that can be improved.
techno_violet likes this.

Too much of anything is bad,
but too much good whiskey is barely enough.
~ Mark Twain
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

I actually recently moved to the Austin region, I haven't heard of an engine failing with no warranty but not saying its not possible as I've seen the same from other mfg's. However will have to ask AF1 about it as they are pretty much the biggest aprilia shop in usa.

Definitely looking long and hard at my options but currently leaning towards the aprilia should I choose other than the BMW.
techno_violet likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:41 AM

Sorry, no COTA info but a friend of mine with a 2016 RSV4 broke a valve spring just out of warranty and had to pay out of pocket. Ducati is having issues with the V4 also, lots of recall work being done. These are complex machines, consider the length of warranty coverage as part of the buying decision.
bennymx likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 07:53 AM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode