BMW S1000RR Forum banner

So I got a new (to me) RR today

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Erion929 
#1 ·
After much deliberation and over-thinking about whether to buy used, and if so, which one to get (there are many to choose from on SF Bay craigslist), or to wait for the new 2020's to come out, I decided to pull the trigger on a '16 RR with 2k miles, so much carbon fiber the thing'll float away if I don't tie it down when it's parked, Akrapovic exhaust, fresh tires, and the registration is paid til April 2020! Thing rides like a dream. I'm smitten. Sucks I have to work... It's a beautiful day out there with plenty of twisties within 10 minutes from my office. Might *cough* feel *cough* sick *cough* tomorrow. ?

One thing: the dude didn't have mirrors on it. Said he got used to riding it that way on the track so he took them off for good - has them in storage somewhere. It was a real hole-in-the-head feeling riding on the slab, wondering if there's a cop behind me with his lights on. Do any of you guys / gals street ride with no mirrors?? Is this a "thing?" I'm getting them from him this Saturday so all will be well. Hopefully I don't get pulled over before then, because it's not sitting in the garage til this weekend! Happy riding, all!

See less See more
#9 ·
Congrats my friend! She is a looker.
Thanks guys!

Nice thing about mirrors is to see if there are any cops or cars getting too close at stops. For that you can get a small bar-end mirror on clutch side. I have been running with this setup for 2 years without any issues.

Without mirrors bike looks better, it's narrower and easier to get into tighter spots. One less part to clean.
That's what I've done to get me by until I get the OEM mirrors back on it - bought a bar end mirror from Cycle Gear on put it on the left side (couldn't get one properly fitted on the right side without locking up the throttle). Definitely better than no mirrors at all, but when commuting in heavy traffic I really like having a clear view on both sides.

You get used to no mirrors, besides, when you start riding a lot you start blending in, not breaking laws and would have no reason to be pulled 9ver anyways.
I don't think I could get used to riding with no mirrors at all, especially in Bay Area traffic. 8 million people all sharing one valley tends to lead to madness and mayhem. Too often I find someone doing something stupid behind me (tailgating, approaching too fast, creeping up at a stoplight, etc), and so now riding with no mirrors just causes unnecessary anxiety.

Sweet congrats! That thing has some $$$ invested in it with all the carbon fiber! Enjoy and ride safely! I personally use mirrors and can’t ride without them, but I guess you get used to anything over time! Cheers
Thanks man! Yeah, the previous owner dropped some serious coin on CF!

#6 ·
Nice thing about mirrors is to see if there are any cops or cars getting too close at stops. For that you can get a small bar-end mirror on clutch side. I have been running with this setup for 2 years without any issues.

Without mirrors bike looks better, it's narrower and easier to get into tighter spots. One less part to clean.

Reactions: wfo439
#8 ·
Sweet congrats! That thing has some $$$ invested in it with all the carbon fiber! Enjoy and ride safely! I personally use mirrors and can’t ride without them, but I guess you get used to anything over time! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.