Guess I'm going for a full exhaust - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Guess I'm going for a full exhaust

First let me say that I've had full exhausts on several bikes before with my latest being a full Brocks Ti system with PC5 on my ZX-14R. Never even considered a slip on. However with my 12 S1000RR I went ahead and just did the shorty Akra slip on. I'm pleased with it and contrary to popular belief, I believe it does have a richer sound at idle and through the gears. I also found it breathes a bit better from the stock can. However, I'm not one to leave things alone for long and now I'm itching for a full exhaust system and looking for feedback from those that have installed them as to:

-Brand/type (shorty can/long traditional
-Throttle response (crisper?)
-Midrange (more?)
-Bottom (lose any torque)
-Manners (overall fueling and torque curves)
-Sound (loud/moderate/quiet..I do NOT want excessively loud)

I know there are plenty of reviews out there but I'd like to kind of sum it up from various owners for this bike. The damn thing runs so smooth and precise with the stock headers and yes, that boat anchor called the catalytic converter, that I wouldn't change out to full unless there is appreciable difference in the last five items above, so any feedback is welcome!
Thanks

2013 BMW K1600 GT
2015 BMW S1000RR
2018 Yamaha R1

"I have no idea. How fast was I going?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:38 PM
Site Sponsor

A full system with a proper map will absolutely improve throttle response, midrange, manners, and certainly sound.

Weight savings is significant as well- the REMUS Ti system weighs only 8 pounds!

I've attached a dyno chart to give you an idea of the gains you can expect. Just look at how much smoother the torque curve is!

Here's a video on CycleWorld's dyno for an audio sample:
http://bcove.me/dei0khcu
REMUS tends to be more conservative in volume with no rasp or drone, but you'd still never mistake it for a slip-on!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s1krrdyno.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	14866  

[email protected]MaxMoto

REMUS USA
BURSIG USA
HELITE MOTO

T.: 510-595-3300
F.: 510-595-3304
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMoto View Post
A full system with a proper map will absolutely improve throttle response, midrange, manners, and certainly sound.

Weight savings is significant as well- the REMUS Ti system weighs only 8 pounds!

I've attached a dyno chart to give you an idea of the gains you can expect. Just look at how much smoother the torque curve is!

Here's a video on CycleWorld's dyno for an audio sample:
Cyclewold Video Carousel Player
REMUS tends to be more conservative in volume with no rasp or drone, but you'd still never mistake it for a slip-on!
Thanks Matt. I've not used Remus but have admired the slip on's and almost put a set on my k1600GT. What is the Remus system being compared to on the dyno chart? Is that stock exhaust?

2013 BMW K1600 GT
2015 BMW S1000RR
2018 Yamaha R1

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Site Sponsor

Yep, compared to stock. That pesky cat makes for a lumpy curve!

Here are a few photos of the full Ti system:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	REBMW S1000RR Full System.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	14874   Click image for larger version

Name:	REBMW S1000RR Full System Close-Up.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	14882   Click image for larger version

Name:	S1000RR ti full 001.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	14890  

[email protected]MaxMoto

REMUS USA
BURSIG USA
HELITE MOTO

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Very clean. I like it and LOVE the torque/HP curve on the dyno sheet. The Akropovic sheet shows very nice gains but does show a significant hit on the bottom when compared to stock.

2013 BMW K1600 GT
2015 BMW S1000RR
2018 Yamaha R1

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Site Sponsor

There will definitely be small losses at the extreme bottom end (below 5k or so) with any full system, but the extra back-pressure regulation from a full-length can (as with the REMUS) maintains more of that ultra-low-end torque vs. the shorter systems.

[email protected]MaxMoto

REMUS USA
BURSIG USA
HELITE MOTO

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxMoto View Post
There will definitely be small losses at the extreme bottom end (below 5k or so) with any full system, but the extra back-pressure regulation from a full-length can (as with the REMUS) maintains more of that ultra-low-end torque vs. the shorter systems.
Right...thanks. I would go with the longer can for sure. Does the Remus system require rear foot pegs be installed and attached via a bracket of some kind as it appears in the picture?

2013 BMW K1600 GT
2015 BMW S1000RR
2018 Yamaha R1

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 05:31 PM
Site Sponsor

Footpegs not required, we have a replacement bracket if you want to run without the passenger pegs. (Normally $150 option, free to forum members!)

[email protected]MaxMoto

REMUS USA
BURSIG USA
HELITE MOTO

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-07-2013, 08:51 PM

[QUOTE=Jagman;220050]First let me say that I've had full exhausts on several bikes before with my latest being a full Brocks Ti system with PC5 on my ZX-14R. Never even considered a slip on. However with my 12 S1000RR I went ahead and just did the shorty Akra slip on. I'm pleased with it and contrary to popular belief, I believe it does have a richer sound at idle and through the gears. I also found it breathes a bit better from the stock can. However, I'm not one to leave things alone for long and now I'm itching for a full exhaust system and looking for feedback from those that have installed them as to:

-Midrange (more?)

Jagman,

You mentioned you uses Brocks on your zx-14 i would do the Brocks on the S1K as well. I have the Black ceramic on mine and i love it. The throttle response is extremely crisp. The midrange is great since i had the bike dynoed. At first when i was playing with the maps i noticed a couple of flat spots. When i found the right map it changed completely. The bottom is great, torque was still excellent. Manners wise the pipe is really loud, thats what others say. I think its loud but not to loud. Fueling i think mileage is pretty good for the most part.

All and all i think the Brocks worked out great. Hope this helped Zoom
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	the rr.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	14938  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=ZoomMp7;220882]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagman View Post
First let me say that I've had full exhausts on several bikes before with my latest being a full Brocks Ti system with PC5 on my ZX-14R. Never even considered a slip on. However with my 12 S1000RR I went ahead and just did the shorty Akra slip on. I'm pleased with it and contrary to popular belief, I believe it does have a richer sound at idle and through the gears. I also found it breathes a bit better from the stock can. However, I'm not one to leave things alone for long and now I'm itching for a full exhaust system and looking for feedback from those that have installed them as to:

-Midrange (more?)

Jagman,

You mentioned you uses Brocks on your zx-14 i would do the Brocks on the S1K as well. I have the Black ceramic on mine and i love it. The throttle response is extremely crisp. The midrange is great since i had the bike dynoed. At first when i was playing with the maps i noticed a couple of flat spots. When i found the right map it changed completely. The bottom is great, torque was still excellent. Manners wise the pipe is really loud, thats what others say. I think its loud but not to loud. Fueling i think mileage is pretty good for the most part.

All and all i think the Brocks worked out great. Hope this helped Zoom
Zoom...many thanks. Yeah I used Brocks CT Duals, (Carbon Ti) and they were not cheap but seriously the best made exhaust system I've ever owned or seen. Brock also has great map support, but sometimes it takes a little experimenting, but Brock himself will exchange emails and maps till you get it right. That said, can't beat a custom map. I never found the CT's overly loud at all, in fact they were the most pleasing rich sounding pipes I've ever heard. Guess I always just kind of looked at Brock for big engine 14's and Busa's, but have seen a CT online that looked killer. Pic below of my duals on the old 14R:

2013 BMW K1600 GT
2015 BMW S1000RR
2018 Yamaha R1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode