Drag racing the S1000RR - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Drag racing the S1000RR

I'm headed to the dragstrip with my S1000RR next weekend (29/30). I've got my paperwork ready and I'm hoping to get at least two 9 second passes so I can get licensed.

I ran a couple of weeks ago and got a best of 10.280 with 1.9 60'. I was launching at 6k, shifting some time near or after the rev limiter and running in slick mode with traction control on.

The goal for next weekend will be 9k launches and 13k shifts. I've put over 1k miles on the bike since the last race, so I'm a heck of a lot more comfortable on her now!

Anyone else care to share some insight on their launch and or shifting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 AM

So where are you drag racing?
Tucson or Woodburn?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

I raced my Honda this summer at Woodburn and PIR. I got the BMW just before I moved. I race at SIR in Tucson now.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 01:19 AM

Good luck. I'm looking forward to drag racing next summer @ Woodburn.
I'm in Springfield.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 12:25 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G-force
Turn off the traction control and slip the clutch, get some straps for the front, they help a ton!
My best run was 9.60 with a 1.79 60'
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 03:28 PM

What type of modifications did you have to do to your S 1000 RR to get it prepared for the dragstrip? In example, exhaust modifications, suspension, and a power commander? Rumor has it BMW Motorsports is planning a new power commander or ECU chip for the S 1000 RR specifically for racing and the dragstrip. Have you heard about this?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALC View Post
Good luck. I'm looking forward to drag racing next summer @ Woodburn.
I'm in Springfield.
There's a guy down there named Eric Robinson. He is Squirrel Racing and he builds drag bikes. He's also a cool guy and fun to talk to. Most of the bikes at Woodburn are dedicated drag bikes, but not all! A lot of them run PIR on wednesdays (1/8 mile) and Woodburn on the weekends. NWDragbike events are a ton of fun.

russianvr4- I'm surprised your 60' is that high with a 9.6. Sounds like fun though. I can't wait to give it a shot.

jgraves- I'm running completely stock. I hope to get a strap next month. That should help the front quite a bit. A new chip is a lot different than a power commander. I have only run the PC III, not the race one, but it only helps optimize your tune. A chip could potentially get more. I hadn't heard about a drag-specific chip. I don't know that I would shell out much for one.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to G-force
you dont HAVE to do any modifications to drag race. exhaust and PCV will give you more power, suspension mods like lowering/straps will help you launch harder but neither of those are necessary to drag race.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2010, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

+1
I'll get a strap for the front end and a -1 sprocket for the front. It's easy stuff that I can change at home or at the track for the drags. I plan on bracket racing next year with her, but this isn't my race bike. I still want to have fun off the track too, so I won't be doing anything too wild.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranberryroo View Post
+1
I'll get a strap for the front end and a -1 sprocket for the front. It's easy stuff that I can change at home or at the track for the drags. I plan on bracket racing next year with her, but this isn't my race bike. I still want to have fun off the track too, so I won't be doing anything too wild.
Yep, you will definitely need a strap for the front and some adjustable lowering links for the rear. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? The reason I'm asking is, if the bike is still stock wheel base then there is no need to make the bike more aggressive by changing the sprocket. This bike makes a lot of power, with more seat time you should be able to get your times to low 9's and maybe even 8's if determined! Email me if you have any questions, [email protected]. Good luck, be safe and go fast!

Domonic Anderson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode