See-Through Rider, 2 Videos - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Duc Hunter
  • 1 Post By Duc Hunter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

See-Through Rider, 2 Videos

My riding is nothing to emulate, but I am happy with the technique I used to edit these videos. I am sure this has been done before, but I've never seen it personally.

Behind-The-Rider videos are great for evaluating and improving technique, but can be less enjoyable for casual watching because they don't give much visual context. "Earth to Sean" is a great YouTube poster with a lot of these sorts of videos, and I think my riding has benefited from watching him ride around tracks I know. When watching BtR footage of a track I don't know, however, I find it hard to understand the nuances of line and body position.

Through-The-Windshield videos are cool because you can more easily see and understand the riding line, but less helpful to analyze afterwards because you can't see body position.

At a recent trackday (which ended in a stupid low-side crash, the second video) I used two front-facing cameras; one on the tail and one on the tank. Using a feathered crop in Premiere Pro, I was able to create these See-Through Rider videos which combine what I like about BTR and TTW videos. This was a first-try, and I hope to improve the technique on future videos for a more seamless effect.

Clean Stint^

Crashytime^
wfo439 and maybeinoregon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter View Post
My riding is nothing to emulate, but I am happy with the technique I used to edit these videos. I am sure this has been done before, but I've never seen it personally.

Behind-The-Rider videos are great for evaluating and improving technique, but can be less enjoyable for casual watching because they don't give much visual context. "Earth to Sean" is a great YouTube poster with a lot of these sorts of videos, and I think my riding has benefited from watching him ride around tracks I know. When watching BtR footage of a track I don't know, however, I find it hard to understand the nuances of line and body position.

Through-The-Windshield videos are cool because you can more easily see and understand the riding line, but less helpful to analyze afterwards because you can't see body position.

At a recent trackday (which ended in a stupid low-side crash, the second video) I used two front-facing cameras; one on the tail and one on the tank. Using a feathered crop in Premiere Pro, I was able to create these See-Through Rider videos which combine what I like about BTR and TTW videos. This was a first-try, and I hope to improve the technique on future videos for a more seamless effect.
Sorry about your crash!

But, great job on the videos! Thanks for sharing!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:41 PM

Sorry for the crash!

Looks like you opened the throttle too early, not finishing the turn.

Kinda similar to this guy

https://youtu.be/lzecJIgjvUc?t=372

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc Hunter View Post
At a recent trackday (which ended in a stupid low-side crash, the second video)
Just leaning over too much with those tyres or what happened?

2011 s1000rr track bike inc. rck2 k-techDDS DunlopKR
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfinn View Post
Just leaning over too much with those tyres or what happened?
I'm interested to hear what others think, but as far as I have been able to work out here are the errors I made in sequential order:

Setup - I hadn't dialed the new rearsets in properly, knees were hurting and it affected how I was moving around on the bike.
Riding Tired → Bad Body Position - my physical condition wasn't where it was last year, should have sat that stint out and ridden the next one. Too proud to take a break. I wasn't off the bike enough, especially in the head/shoulders because I was exhausted.
Bad Braking → Bad Line - didn't brake enough or trail them to the apex like I usually do, so I was out of sorts and running wide of the apex.
FEAR - while spectating the previous stint, I had seen a matte grey S1000RR high-side in the exact same place where I was about to crash and it caused the final mistake:
Not Enough Throttle - if you listen to the crash, you can hear that at no point do I open the throttle and start accelerating post-apex. I had completed the turn, albeit with a bad line. I tried to pull my wide exit down by continuing to lean while withholding throttle due to the unrealistic fear of spinning up the rear.

If I had just accepted that I'd botched the turn and just committed to the bad line, the throttle would have picked the bike back up even with the bad line. Worst case, I go off-track but the bike stays shiny.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 02:45 PM
z00

Sorry about the crash, glad you're ok. I crashed similarly.

At that lean angle it's easy to tuck the front with abrupt inputs.
What were you doing with the throttle and brakes when getting into the turn?

Looks like rolling off the throttle, underloaded the front.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 03:54 PM

I wouldn’t beat yourself up too badly, you were definitely eating up the others on the track with ya. Looked smooth outside of letting the pressure off the forks/front wheel at the apex, which judging by the rest of your video, is surely a sign of a loss of concentration and fatigue based off of your own comments.

You got this, fix the bike and get back on and rail!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbadboy View Post
Looks like you opened the throttle too early, not finishing the turn. Kinda similar to this guy
That is some mean lean! He didn't have very far to fall. Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
What were you doing with the throttle and brakes when getting into the turn?
Looks like rolling off the throttle, underloaded the front.
I think you nailed it. Better off-the-bike body positioning, trail braking, and apex clipping would have mitigated it, but the final nail in the coffin was not powering up when it was time to ride out of the corner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxerguy855 View Post
You got this, fix the bike and get back on and rail!
Right on! It's coming back as a track-only machine, no more headlights/license plate/insurance nonsense. Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 07:55 PM
z00

BTW the camera setup is great! But must be time consuming to set it all up, and add see through effect right?

How bad is the bike's damage? Main fairings?

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by z00 View Post
BTW the camera setup is great! But must be time consuming to set it all up, and add see through effect right?

How bad is the bike's damage? Main fairings?
It was surprisingly easy to create the video. The second time through (first video above) only took about 10 minutes to set up in Premiere Pro. If there are AdobeCC users with an interest, I can make a tutorial.

As for crash damage, tail plastics and subframe are toast and there's damage to some mounting tabs for the left headlight. The factory clip-on bent dramatically when it hit the ground and took the left fork tube with it. Idk why the bars aren't notched to break but I'm sure BMW had a good reason. The inner fork tube and cartridge are undamaged, so I just have to replace the outer tube. Engine/frame sliders did their jobs and the AP rearset took it like a champ breaking cleanly halfway up the easily replaceable footpeg. I think I could have ridden on what was left if the bike were trackworthy. Very happy with that investment.
z00 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode