Circuit Zolder Track Day with my '17 S1000RR (Chin mounted GoPro) - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Circuit Zolder Track Day with my '17 S1000RR (Chin mounted GoPro)

Thankfully I caught the last open track day for the season at my local track here in Belgium, Circuit Zolder. This was my second time here; the first being with my previous 2005 R1 back in April. I LOVE this track and will miss being 20 minutes away from an (ex) Grand-Prix circuit.

The organizer was running 4 groups that day; 2 instructional and 2 open, split between "snel" and "mindersnel" running 5-7 sessions per group at 20 minutes a piece. To give you an idea of lap times... Markus Reiterberger (IDM Superbike/WSBK S1000RR) runs 1'30"ish on a good day. Lots of fast "snel" guys run low 1'40"s to low 1'50"s and "mindersnel" folks run 1'55"+.

Belgium's weather is generally cool and rainy with sunshine in short supply. Rain fell the day before and temps hovered between 45F-55F 24 hours prior. The morning was cool, wet, and slick. Within 30 seconds of the first session people were crashing out. I skipped my first session in an attempt to let a dry line begin to form on track. My 1100 session was slow (2'30" to 3'00") and cautious; I had no interest in being a hero. By 1300 times were starting to drop and by 1500 it was all systems go. I managed a 1'55" in my 4th and last session, which was 4 seconds faster than I ran with my R1.

The bike is 100% stock apart from some Stomp Grip and crash protection. I ran the Metzelers at 28R/32F off the warmers, which felt great all day. Once they have heat in them they stuck quite well. The bike itself was amazing. The power, brakes, blipper are all so, so good! Watching my footage back, there are tons of places where I was simply too slow getting on the throttle. Part of this was intimidation and the other was fitness... I'm clearly not in good enough shape to hustle this bike like I should. The only real issue that came up was some serious brake fade/lever inconsistency. Not sure what's up with that. Otherwise, great day, amazing bike. Cheers.

Best lap:

Playing with lap traffic:

about 50% of a '17 S1000RR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 12:12 PM

Garage
This is great! You were clearly much faster than most guys in the group and that too with the stock bike

When did you notice the brake fade and lever inconsistency issues?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmten View Post
When did you notice the brake fade and lever inconsistency issues?
In my third and fourth session, the lever would start hard (lever fully extended) to rather soft with less of a reach. The bike would still stop... I could modulate and brake as deep as I wanted... but maybe this is the ABS vagueness people talk about. I ran the bike in Race mode all day and only engaged ABS once. THAT got my attention!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017, 06:19 PM

Garage
How did you find the auto blipper. Any lurching or inconsistent shifts going down?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:38 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurrenda View Post
How did you find the auto blipper. Any lurching or inconsistent shifts going down?

Yes, I had a few inconsistencies with the blipper; a few times no downshift available, one false neutral, and one time it seemed to double shift into first... but I chalk all of that up to rider error/foot placement/still on throttle.

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclewis573 View Post
Yes, I had a few inconsistencies with the blipper; a few times no downshift available, one false neutral, and one time it seemed to double shift into first... but I chalk all of that up to rider error/foot placement/still on throttle.
Interesting. Mine's a bit jumpy at times, but no missed shifts or false neutrals yet. I find it works best with a good firm shove as far down as it'll go.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosurrenda View Post
Interesting. Mine's a bit jumpy at times, but no missed shifts or false neutrals yet. I find it works best with a good firm shove as far down as it'll go.

Agreed. Every time I was deliberate it worked great.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-11-2017, 01:32 AM

The only time it has not downshifted for me - I had the throttle opened ever so slightly - not realizing I did it. Otherwise it has been flawless - much better than upshifting - which is a 50/50 of really smooth shifts to really hard shifts.

Honestly don't think I've had the ABS activate once this year maybe once or twice last year - I brake pretty hard ride in advanced/expert group mostly run mid pack.

Bruce
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:17 PM

Hey tclewis573,

Ik heb me voor komend seizoen ook de Metzeler racetec RR gekocht voor mijn HP4 (achteraan in 200/60R17) voor het makkelijker insturen en de betere grip op circuit natuurlijk .Welke bandendruk rij jij op de Metzelers?
Zolder blijft ook nog steeds één van mijn favoriete circuits en ik ben voor komend seizoen al 2X ingeschreven voor Zolder en 1X voor Francorchamps.
Hoe oud is je S1000RR? Heb jij DDC?(Ik worstel nog steeds een beetje met mijn instellingen voor de DDC).
Ik merk wel op je filmpje dat je weinig voorveerspanning hebt (ver uitgedraaid op rechtse stuurhelft)...?

greetz
Goedi
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by goediman View Post
Hey tclewis573,

Ik heb me voor komend seizoen ook de Metzeler racetec RR gekocht voor mijn HP4 (achteraan in 200/60R17) voor het makkelijker insturen en de betere grip op circuit natuurlijk .Welke bandendruk rij jij op de Metzelers?
Zolder blijft ook nog steeds één van mijn favoriete circuits en ik ben voor komend seizoen al 2X ingeschreven voor Zolder en 1X voor Francorchamps.
Hoe oud is je S1000RR? Heb jij DDC?(Ik worstel nog steeds een beetje met mijn instellingen voor de DDC).
Ik merk wel op je filmpje dat je weinig voorveerspanning hebt (ver uitgedraaid op rechtse stuurhelft)...?

greetz
Goedi
Hey goediman, everything you're asking is in my original post. Have fun!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode