Fork Clip-on Size - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2011, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Fork Clip-on Size

Just in case anyone was in any doubt as to what size clip-ons are needed with the S1000RR, I can tell you that it's 55mm.

I know this as I (and others on here, who influenced my purchase) bought some 52mm Renthal clip-ons and tried to install them today, only to find they were too smaller. A digital caliper showed the fork size as 55mm. Doh!

So, anyone looking for any 52mm clip-ons, unused?

On a positive note, it's possible to adjust the standard clip-on's so they're lower down the fork and more flared out, as seen below. This makes the bike easier to control for me, as I'm further over the front and there's a bit more leverage to turn-in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2680.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	5118   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2681.jpg
Views:	709
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	5119  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM

Hi,

I'm following up on this threat after finding it on Google.

I have a 2013 and I've been told by several people that it is not possible to adjust (open, in my case) the handlebar. My goal is to have them more "open"/further away from the tank, which is what I believe you did.

I heard rumors about "a pin" that holds the clip ons in place and makes it impossible to adjust. Your post is one of the very few places where it says the opposite, so I'd love to confirm you can actually open them up a bit more.

Thank you.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:27 AM

At the bottom of the top steering, there is a hole where the pin of the standard clip on goes into, so the only way you will be able to "open up" the standard handlebars is by either grinding off the pin or move the standard clip-ons further away from the steering like they did in the previous post.

With aftermarket clip-ons you can adjust the way you want...

Photo attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	201002  

2013 S1000rr track bike

Old 06-19-2019, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaki View Post
At the bottom of the top steering, there is a hole where the pin of the standard clip on goes into, so the only way you will be able to "open up" the standard handlebars is by either grinding off the pin or move the standard clip-ons further away from the steering like they did in the previous post.

With aftermarket clip-ons you can adjust the way you want...

Photo attached
Thank you very much! Really cool to be able to visualize this.

If you don't mind ... Do you know how much needs to be "opened" to have clearance for the pin? Based on the original post, it doesn't seem like a huge difference from OEM.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1000rr View Post
Thank you very much! Really cool to be able to visualize this.

If you don't mind ... Do you know how much needs to be "opened" to have clearance for the pin? Based on the original post, it doesn't seem like a huge difference from OEM.
It also seems that lowering the clip ons is a good "trick" to have clearance for the pin to not interfere, right?
Old 06-19-2019, 09:41 AM

I would say roughly 8 - 10mm. If you loosen the bolt of the OEM clip on, you will be able to slide it down the tube. You will feel when you turn it side to side when it no longer engages.

2013 S1000rr track bike
Old 06-19-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf1000rr View Post
It also seems that lowering the clip ons is a good "trick" to have clearance for the pin to not interfere, right?
Just remember that when you lower the clip on, you change your "geometry", which means that you will have a different feel on the bike. 10mm wont make too much of a difference on the road, so if you dont want to grind the pin off or change to aftermarket parts, then I would say yes to your question

2013 S1000rr track bike
Old 06-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Site Sponsor

Just Dremel off the pin.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in