VDS Error killed my bike - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

VDS Error killed my bike

hello guys

i need help here i bought a 2011 BMW s1000rr with 3300 miles on it i had a chance to take it to track one full day and have fun with on race and sport mode with no issues at all

no bike has a slipon akrapovic exhaust with danmoto v pipe and OEM heathers custom done to fit the bike as i have seen on my BMW with the same set up

2 days ago i did a track day my first lap of the day VDS error came on on turn 5 and killed my bike i saved it some how some way

as i exited it the track i turn the bike ON it started with no issues then i decided to ride again but in mined i was already going to call it end of session as i am riding turn 12 bike died again with the same error VDS icon showing on my dash

does anyone know whats going on whats happening

this is my first BMW ever i am a ducati guy and i never had issues after 10 years on DUC's bikes

need help here

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fontana Training Day with Moises and Moto-D Promo 060.jpg
Views:	644
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	36850  

Last edited by Bimmer52rr; 09-04-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 01:57 PM

Check that the drop sensor has not come free of its mounting and may therefore be giving you the problem. VDS errors are drop sensor thinking that the bike is on its side and killing the ignition

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer52rr View Post
hello guys

i need help here i bought a 2011 BMW s1000rr with 3300 miles on it i had a chance to take it to track one full day and have fun with on race and sport mode with no issues at all

no bike has a slipon akrapovic exhaust with danmoto v pipe and OEM heathers custom done to fit the bike as i have seen on my BMW with the same set up

2 days ago i did a track day my first lap of the day VDS error came on on turn 5 and killed my bike i saved it some how some way

as i exited it the track i turn the bike ON it started with no issues then i decided to ride again but in mined i was already going to call it end of session as i am riding turn 12 bike died again with the same error VDS icon showing on my dash

does anyone know whats going on whats happening

this is my first BMW ever i am a ducati guy and i never had issues after 1 years on DUC's bikes

need help here

thank you
My '11 did the same thing except I was on the street. I ended up just unplugging it. It will run just fine, but shows VDS error. I haven't had the chance to get it to the dealer, but I believe the sensor is the problem.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john S1000RR View Post
Check that the drop sensor has not come free of its mounting and may therefore be giving you the problem. VDS errors are drop sensor thinking that the bike is on its side and killing the ignition

^^+1 on what John says. The VDS is a vertical drop sensor located under the seat across from the sock plug. If it's come out of it's harness or mount, the bike thinks it's been down. Here's a thread with good info in he last post:

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/bm...-vds-code.html

Good luck
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

found somthing

do you guys think this was the problem

found the sensor off from its unit and i put it back but i have no clue if this will answer the question

i will ride the bike around keep you all posted

thank you all for helping out

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	2074
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	36978   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	1412
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	36986  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Definitely could be the problem. I zip tie my sensor to make sure I don't knock it off taking the tank off or doing other Mx.

Jay Buchanan
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:22 PM

I would say that was indeed the problem. Should be fine now.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

well looks like i found the problem and fixed it

took the bike around about 2 miles riding around the streets near by my bike didn't die nor error appeared on the dash i was all worried it will die again and i have to push it to my my garage lol

problem salved so happy

thank you all
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 PM

Let me throw this out there.

Mine has been yelling a service reminder at me since the first of the month (I changed oil back in March and didn't update the reminder). So this evening I got out my GS-911 to reset the reminder and found that mine showed a Vehicle drop sensor fault code plus it also showed that I had disconnected it.

Popped the seat and installed my old VDS and dash went out showing VDS. Reset the fault code and the dash cleared. Bike started right up no issues.

Have no clue why clearing the code made things o.k. , but so far it did.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer52rr View Post
do you guys think this was the problem

found the sensor off from its unit and i put it back but i have no clue if this will answer the question

i will ride the bike around keep you all posted

thank you all for helping out

Yep, you got it. As the other posts say Zip tie that thing down next time you're under there. It seems to like to hop out if you're working around it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode