2020 Mods so far - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 12Likes
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 76
2020 Mods so far

I've put quite a few mods on the bike so far, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there making their own choices for mods. Thought I'd share some pics and help you decide what you do or don't want or like. Information with these bikes is still just so limited.

LINK TO IMGUR HERE: MOD PICTURES

Puig Windscreen - Personally prefer to the M Race/MRA
M Race Windscreen - Tried (have for sale)

BMW Solo Cowl - Came as a bunch of pieces, BMW cracks me up with that. Looks nice though

Bestem Carbon Fiber - Probably what I've seen least on the forum. Aesthetic of these are great, had very minimal fitment issues. They cost half of what Ilumberger does.
Bestem CF Tank Panels - Losing the painted piece on the tank panels was a questionable move. Ilumberger makes one that retains that. After having them on with all the black added to the bike I've come to like it
Bestem CF Underlay on the tail and Nose Piece - I group these two because they both have that silver mesh screen. I may pull this off and paint the screen black. Otherwise I'm a fan of these pieces.
Bestem CF Side panels - These were the toughest to fit actually. They use posts held by rubber grommets on the bike and without some flex it was a bit of a pain to install.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - Seen plenty on here. On my 12 and 15 I ran the shorty Arrow, but I do not know what they were thinking for the 2020 model. Akra sounds and looks great. Needs a full belly pan though to complete the look.
Akrapovic Over priced CF Heat Shield - Classic Akrapovic

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - Hadnt used this before, impressed with it

Gilles Rearsets - Looong story on these, careful when you install them. That said they are nice. The footrest doesn't have as much bite as I'd hoped. Wish Attack would hurry up with their version.
Gilles Spools - These have a sticker for the logo over the screw. Not a huge fan of that design, but overall they look nice and handle the bevel in the swingarm.

GB Covers - Not much to say here. Sad to cover some of the color on the bike but worth it.

Evo Fender Elim Kit - Better than stock, but outdone by the coming NRC one imo

More to come with OZ Cattiva WSBK wheels, Ilumberger Belly Pan, Lightech Chain adjusters, NRC Tailight, 520 Conversion and RCS19
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191103_211904389_iOS.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	203712  
BMWFen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
xKtF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFen View Post
I've put quite a few mods on the bike so far, and I'm sure there are plenty of people out there making their own choices for mods. Thought I'd share some pics and help you decide what you do or don't want or like. Information with these bikes is still just so limited.

LINK TO IMGUR HERE: MOD PICTURES

Puig Windscreen - Personally prefer to the M Race/MRA
M Race Windscreen - Tried (have for sale)

BMW Solo Cowl - Came as a bunch of pieces, BMW cracks me up with that. Looks nice though

Bestem Carbon Fiber - Probably what I've seen least on the forum. Aesthetic of these are great, had very minimal fitment issues. They cost half of what Ilumberger does.
Bestem CF Tank Panels - Losing the painted piece on the tank panels was a questionable move. Ilumberger makes one that retains that. After having them on with all the black added to the bike I've come to like it
Bestem CF Underlay on the tail and Nose Piece - I group these two because they both have that silver mesh screen. I may pull this off and paint the screen black. Otherwise I'm a fan of these pieces.
Bestem CF Side panels - These were the toughest to fit actually. They use posts held by rubber grommets on the bike and without some flex it was a bit of a pain to install.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - Seen plenty on here. On my 12 and 15 I ran the shorty Arrow, but I do not know what they were thinking for the 2020 model. Akra sounds and looks great. Needs a full belly pan though to complete the look.
Akrapovic Over priced CF Heat Shield - Classic Akrapovic

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - Hadnt used this before, impressed with it

Gilles Rearsets - Looong story on these, careful when you install them. That said they are nice. The footrest doesn't have as much bite as I'd hoped. Wish Attack would hurry up with their version.
Gilles Spools - These have a sticker for the logo over the screw. Not a huge fan of that design, but overall they look nice and handle the bevel in the swingarm.

GB Covers - Not much to say here. Sad to cover some of the color on the bike but worth it.

Evo Fender Elim Kit - Better than stock, but outdone by the coming NRC one imo

More to come with OZ Cattiva WSBK wheels, Ilumberger Belly Pan, Lightech Chain adjusters, NRC Tailight, 520 Conversion and RCS19
What happened to the wheels in that photo album?
xKtF is offline  
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Lifetime Member
 
BMW_388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by xKtF View Post
What happened to the wheels in that photo album?
He had a slight install issue with the rearsets.

https://www.s1000rrforum.com/forum/b...re-debris.html

I had this same issue on a GSXR I had purchased from someone back in 2012. Seller had put aftermarket rearsets on and for whatever reason within 500 miles of me getting it and riding it, the rear caliper master decided to apply slightly and melted the pads to the rotor. Thankfully it was a cast wheel and only the caliper and pads were destroyed.
xKtF likes this.
BMW_388 is offline  
 
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Lifetime Member
 
BMW_388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,969
I am not sure if you are looking for people to add on to your posting on mod'ed 2020... but, I will run with you on this...

Puig Windscreen - I like this unit because it has the wind channels in it. Also I have this same windscreen on my 15 and 18. My 17 is still in the rebuilding stages.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - On my 15 and 18 I have the shorty Arrow also.

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - I have the blue lid option

EVOTECH radiator guards

XWORKS new tail tidy

GB Covers - When you remove the left side stator GB cover you are going to be disappointed in that the cover vibrates so bad it digs into the stator cover paint and really messes it up.

Lightech cobalt blue adjusters

Air tract funnel door delete

2D front suspension sensor

2D HP DataLogger

Brembo GP4 calipers

Brembo Z04 pads

Brembo CNC MotoGP Master 19x18 front

ASV Brembo Master Lever

Alpha 6mm front rotors

BMW ///M Clutch lever

Vortex 15T front sprocket

Carbonin Avio Fiber WSBK Bodywork ( track days and CMRA racing )

XWORKS ECU

XWORKS HandHeld for going from Stock, XWORKS-1, XWORKS-2, XWORKS-3 ECU code ( all these are in development and PM for details )

Steve Weir Racing DTC coding adjustments ( future mod release with XWORKS code ) https://www.instagram.com/weireverywhereracing/?hl=en
BMW_388 is offline  
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 08:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 214
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
I am not sure if you are looking for people to add on to your posting on mod'ed 2020... but, I will run with you on this...

Puig Windscreen - I like this unit because it has the wind channels in it. Also I have this same windscreen on my 15 and 18. My 17 is still in the rebuilding stages.

Akrapovic Evo Full Ti system - On my 15 and 18 I have the shorty Arrow also.

Driven Halo Gas Tank Lid - I have the blue lid option

GB Covers - When you remove the left side stator GB cover you are going to be disappointed in that the cover vibrates so bad it digs into the stator cover paint and really messes it up.

Lightech cobalt blue adjusters

Air tract funnel door delete

2D front suspension sensor

2D HP DataLogger

Brembo GP4 calipers

Brembo Z04 pads

Brembo CNC MotoGP Master 19x18 front

ASV Brembo Master Lever

Alpha 6mm front rotors

BMW ///M Clutch lever

Vortex 15T front sprocket

Carbonin Avio Fiber WSBK Bodywork ( track days and CMRA racing )

XWORKS ECU

XWORKS HandHeld for going from Stock, XWORKS-1, XWORKS-2, XWORKS-3 ECU code ( all these are in development and PM for details )

Steve Weir Racing DTC coding adjustments ( future mod release with XWORKS code ) https://www.instagram.com/weireverywhereracing/?hl=en
I don't do any of the blingy stuff like CF. I just don't care. So far I have purely vanilla functional stuff like:
  • Brentuning handheld ///M+, which seems better suited to my use than their Stage 1.
  • Stompgrips Super Volcano clear tank grips. I first ordered the R&G, but they were cut wrong. I also got some horse-riding saddle stickum spray, which works great.
  • Dual USB outlets on the triple-tree and a center-column RAM X-Grip for my phone.
  • R&G frame sliders
  • GB Racing cover set (ordered, not yet installed)
  • BMW spools. Put Bull rear stand and paddock front stand.

I'll probably get radiator and oil cooler guards along with bar ends for protection.

Please tell me about the Puig screen. I'm 6'2" and would like higher/more deflection. I don't like the way the MRA fits from videos I've seen.

I hate super loud noise and thus am keeping the stock exhaust unless I get the new XR and turn the RR into a pure track bike. I might then get a full system and fairing replacements.

Speaking of a full exhaust system, did you see the Austin Racing setup here? It's pretty cool, but too effing loud for me.
Tom Bernhardt is offline  
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-05-2019, 09:05 PM
Junior Member
 
Sabrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post

Please tell me about the Puig screen. I'm 6'2" and would like higher/more deflection. I don't like the way the MRA fits from videos I've seen.
I have the Puig 3571F Dark Smoke. I love it. It's only like 2 inches higher than stock, but gained a ton of wind deflation due to its design. I as well am 6'2" and this screen is awesome for me. The dark smoke is very very dark. Looks really awesome.
Sabrius is offline  
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-06-2019, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 214
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabrius View Post
I have the Puig 3571F Dark Smoke. I love it. It's only like 2 inches higher than stock, but gained a ton of wind deflation due to its design. I as well am 6'2" and this screen is awesome for me. The dark smoke is very very dark. Looks really awesome.
Thanks, this is helpful. I would get the clear instead of smoke for both better vision and video purposes, but I want better wind deflection. Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).
Tom Bernhardt is offline  
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Lifetime Member
 
BMW_388's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post
Thanks, this is helpful. I would get the clear instead of smoke for both better vision and video purposes, but I want better wind deflection. Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).
I have the Puig Light Smoke for my street riding. The light smoke is not near as dark as the full dark version. Then I have the Carbonin Race body with the stock clear windscreen on it. It took 2 weeks for that Puig to ship to me from Italy. At the time I didnt see anyone stocking it in the USA.

The back straight at COTA I have hit 196 on my 2015. Have not had my K67 there yet. Waiting on the weather forecast for the Nov 30th date to make my full decision to go there. I have my spot in Level 3, but, I can sell it pretty easy too if I decide it is just too cold and damp to be there.
BMWFen and Tom Bernhardt like this.
BMW_388 is offline  
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-06-2019, 10:04 AM
Junior Member
 
Sabrius's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bernhardt View Post
Is the aerodynamic flow smooth at very high speed, or would you recommend putting back the stock screen for track days? I'm thinking about the long back straight at COTA where speeds get ridiculously high (over 185 mph).
I wouldn't consider the stock one for anything after the Puig replacement. It's perfectly tall enough for a really solid tuck. My eye line is right at the very top of the screen. You can get lower but your chin would bounce off the tank lol. Get it. You'll be happy.
Tom Bernhardt likes this.
Sabrius is offline  
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Unread 11-06-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Austin, TX USA
Posts: 214
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_388 View Post
I have the Puig Light Smoke for my street riding. The light smoke is not near as dark as the full dark version. Then I have the Carbonin Race body with the stock clear windscreen on it. It took 2 weeks for that Puig to ship to me from Italy. At the time I didnt see anyone stocking it in the USA.

The back straight at COTA I have hit 196 on my 2015. Have not had my K67 there yet. Waiting on the weather forecast for the Nov 30th date to make my full decision to go there. I have my spot in Level 3, but, I can sell it pretty easy too if I decide it is just too cold and damp to be there.
You'll hit 200 on your tuned 2020 RR. Man that's scary fast.

This is my first time at COTA on a bike and so I'm starting in 2b, which is probably a good place for me. I'm praying for good weather. I'm preparing by watching some videos to get to know the track some, though the real thing will be quite different. I've only been on slower technical tracks like Willow Springs (The Streets track) and Vegas (Outside Road Course) via CSS. COTA will be very different.
BMWFen likes this.
Tom Bernhardt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in













Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome