2020 S1kRR - Gilles Rearsets - Rear Brake Components and CF Wheel failure/Debris - BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

2020 S1kRR - Gilles Rearsets - Rear Brake Components and CF Wheel failure/Debris

Was headed out to break in my new 2020S1kRR on Sunday and at 127 miles my CF Wheel failed, pads roasted, caliper changed color and rotor is rainbowed from heat with a pot of gold at the end of it. I've been riding liter bikes for about 20 years now with trackdays and this is my 3rd S1000RR.

at 10 miles Gilles Rearsets were installed. The rear brake light could be activated and deactivated with pressure on the brake lever. The brake lever had range with pressure. That said, it did not have play before activating the brake light. The instructions very specifically state in bold print with an exclamation No Adjustments to the Actuating Rod!. It felt tight but with the light activating and deactivating, seemed to be working as intended.

Day before after a very short ride parking the bike in the garage the rear brake activates on the incline and wont let go. I experienced Hill Start Control, but it was supposed to let go. I read up and turned it off in the settings.

On the ride the next day about 40 miles in we were in a stop light area. In 2nd I pull in the clutch around 40-45 to coast to a stop at the cars in front of me. The rear brake locks. It stops me well early of the car in front of me. Confused and in the middle of a ton of traffic I use throttle to move forwards. The next light turns green and I attempt to take off and the rear brake is still locked. I have to use gas to move forward and not be in an unsafe spot, rear ended in the middle of heavy traffic and pull over as quickly as possible. At this point the bike is shaking, errors are all over the screen.

I get off to find, a now red caliper(was black), pads gone, rotor rainbowed and the carbon fiber wheel torn.

BMW Roadside delivered the bike to the dealer Monday, and Tuesday morning their diagnosis is that the Gilles Rearset did not allow play in the rear brake lever and brake drag caused everything I experienced and it was Gilles' and my fault. I find it very hard to believe. Whether some kind of debris from the road or an electronic malfunction from Hill Start or ABS. I did not feel the level of drag they are claiming, only experienced the locking. Just glad this didn't happen at 80 in a corner.

What have others with Gilles experienced? When installing or anything like what is described?

Thanks

Imagur Link to more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_162514251_iOS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	203400   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191013_165110958_iOS.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	203402   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191015_153915759_iOS.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	203404   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191010_224914166_iOS.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	203406  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:44 PM

Garage
Sorry to hear about this OP.

No-one wants to encounter problems with their new bike, especially one as serious as this. I hope you are able to get a positive resolution, sorry to hear BMW is fighting you.

Good luck, keep us updated.
BMWFen likes this.

2020 S1000RR M-Package
2014 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1979 Honda CB400 (sold)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 01:25 AM
z00

Sorry man, this sucks.

I have seen a similar issue when rearsets are not installed properly to allow enough play for rear brake MC and lever. So the dealership is not wrong unless you're 100% the rearsets were installed correctly. But also most dealerships would use any excuse to make customers pay out of pocket.

Have they read the error codes? They would tell you at least what the ECU thinks is wrong with the bike. Ask them what makes them think it's the rearset, it should be easy to check the rear brake drag.
beech likes this.

2015 s1000RR (dead)
2016 R1
2017 R6 (track)
>10K club president.

--------------------------------------------
If you ain't slidin', you ain't got enough lube

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 06:41 AM

Wow man that really sucks, it seems like the rear set was either installed incorrectly or it's defective.

So now what? An insurance claim?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:14 AM

This has happened because who ever installed the rear sets did not allow enough blow by clearance for the master cylinder pressure rod. You can set this tight when it's on the stand with barely any free play. Then when you go for a ride once the brake heats up it locks solid. If you installed them then it's your fault. No warranty. If the dealer did it then its on them completely.
SimonUK, BMW_388, beech and 2 others like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 09:30 AM

that caliper was dragging for a bit, she took some heat. sorry buddy..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFen View Post
Was headed out to break in my new 2020S1kRR on Sunday and at 127 miles my CF Wheel failed, pads roasted, caliper changed color and rotor is rainbowed from heat with a pot of gold at the end of it. I've been riding liter bikes for about 20 years now with trackdays and this is my 3rd S1000RR.

at 10 miles Gilles Rearsets were installed. The rear brake light could be activated and deactivated with pressure on the brake lever. The brake lever had range with pressure. That said, it did not have play before activating the brake light. The instructions very specifically state in bold print with an exclamation No Adjustments to the Actuating Rod!. It felt tight but with the light activating and deactivating, seemed to be working as intended.

Day before after a very short ride parking the bike in the garage the rear brake activates on the incline and wont let go. I experienced Hill Start Control, but it was supposed to let go. I read up and turned it off in the settings.

On the ride the next day about 40 miles in we were in a stop light area. In 2nd I pull in the clutch around 40-45 to coast to a stop at the cars in front of me. The rear brake locks. It stops me well early of the car in front of me. Confused and in the middle of a ton of traffic I use throttle to move forwards. The next light turns green and I attempt to take off and the rear brake is still locked. I have to use gas to move forward and not be in an unsafe spot, rear ended in the middle of heavy traffic and pull over as quickly as possible. At this point the bike is shaking, errors are all over the screen.

I get off to find, a now red caliper(was black), pads gone, rotor rainbowed and the carbon fiber wheel torn.

BMW Roadside delivered the bike to the dealer Monday, and Tuesday morning their diagnosis is that the Gilles Rearset did not allow play in the rear brake lever and brake drag caused everything I experienced and it was Gilles' and my fault. I find it very hard to believe. Whether some kind of debris from the road or an electronic malfunction from Hill Start or ABS. I did not feel the level of drag they are claiming, only experienced the locking. Just glad this didn't happen at 80 in a corner.

What have others with Gilles experienced? When installing or anything like what is described?

Thanks

Imagur Link to more pics
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 07:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennymx View Post
This has happened because who ever installed the rear sets did not allow enough blow by clearance for the master cylinder pressure rod. You can set this tight when it's on the stand with barely any free play. Then when you go for a ride once the brake heats up it locks solid. If you installed them then it's your fault. No warranty. If the dealer did it then its on them completely.
How does one make sure there's sufficient free-play? Installing rear sets this week and definitely don't want to make this mistake.

2020 S1000RR M-Package
2014 Yamaha R6 (sold)
2007 Yamaha R6 (sold)
1979 Honda CB400 (sold)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno_violet View Post
How does one make sure there's sufficient free-play? Installing rear sets this week and definitely don't want to make this mistake.
ill second that request for any good advice... ive had rearsets on my bike for awhile and no issues, but reading this topic makes me want to just double check everything.

oh, and also loctite the bolts lol... the toe knob for my rear brake rattled itself loose and fell off while riding, have to order a replacement... guess i forgot the loctite on that one, i know i definitely put some on the main bolts because ive had them vibrate loose on a previous bike.... good maintenance habit to check all those bolts once in awhile.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 12:58 AM

The manual calls for a feeler gauge. But to be honest I just do it by feel. You want the pedal to go down a little before you get some drag or pressure on the rear disc. If it's applying the brake as soon as you touch it then its too tight. Loosen it off a bit. You want some actual lever travel before the brake is applied. You get the same problem with people being fussy about clutch lever play. They adjust it too tight when the bike is hot and I have seen in excessive cases 0 clutch lever freeplay and it wore the clutch out lol

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2019, 11:52 AM

Would you look at what the heat off that hot disc/caliper did to that CF Wheel...uggh...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW S1000RR Forums: BMW Sportbike Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode